The year ain't over year but...

Uke Republic

Reaction score
2012 is drawing to an end and reflecting I feel this has been a wonderful year for the ukulele. New Daily ukulele from Beloff, lots of great festivals, new string choices (aNueNue, Aquila red, Kala Pearls, LoPrinzi etc.) New DVDs, New Albums, Jake came back to Atlanta, New models of ukuleles and heaps of new friends. Oh new mods on UU.
So how about you? What stands out for 2012 for you?
By the way word is that 2013 is going to be even better for us ukulele lovers!

Hey, Uke Republic moving into a real shop stands out for me. I hope it means lots more aloha spreading out from Austell, Georgia.

Congratulations to you, Mike, for your new shop. The photos look great and suggest that visiting your shop may, by itself, be worth the trip to the Atlanta area.

Although this was a generally yucky year for my family (serious health issues), the ukulele moments of 2012 that stand out most for me are (1) playing with the J-Town Hui at the Maui Ukulele Festival in October, (2) playing "Let The Rest Of The World Go By," the song my parents danced to at their wedding, for my parents, and (3) writing songs using my ukuleles.

probably sounds corny, but the highlight for me is this site and the amazing love and generosity of spirit shared between the members here. I just keep being blown away by the beautiful folks that frequent this place and their genuine friendship towards one another.

Musically the highlight for me has been mining through the catalogue of Ukulele Ike and learning a whole bunch of beautiful old songs. Lil' Rev has put out another ripper album. So has Dr. Bekken. Uncle Elvis will be recording one soon. John Bianchi's yootoob vids continue to amaze and inspire. Saw my first ever live uke gig in February when we went to see the Uke Orchestra of Great Britain. Bob Brozman's "Toolbox" DVD's were a revelation, as was the gorgeous doco "Under The Boardwalk".

Can't wait to see where we go from here. Feels like the Uke World is as healthy as it's ever been right now.

forgot to mention the long awaited release of the wonderful book by Jim Tranquada and John King, The Ukulele: A History. a definitive and pretty much exhaustive study that will be a lifetime resource.

Since I took up the ukulele this past summer, I would have to say that is my ukulele highlight of the year. Also, finding UU and this great community has been great!

Aloha Mike,
Congrats on the new shop and may all the years ahead be a prosperous ones....for me I been sick all of 2012, but my highlight is all the new friends I have made and all the rest of my good
friend here and facebook....and all the UU members, staff and mods... Season Greetings and Happy Holidays to all....And a Merry Christmas to all..

2012 was an amazing year, the start of a whole new life for me.
I lost my job in December last year and, having few options, decided to go for it and bust my bumpy to become ready... ish... to be a professional musician. Or an unprofessional one.

I really lucked out and, even though I end the year broke and spiralling into debt, I'm happier than I've ever been, cutting a CD with the help of many, many loved ones, going on tour with the Flea Bitten Dawgs next year and... well, I'm having a blast.

And, like, Eugene, it's all because of this site and the people on it.

Love you all.

2012 highlights for me were visiting Mike at the new Uke Republic store, going to UWC, and going to Summer NAMM.

The most recent highlight was taking the grand-daughters to see the Nutcracker. They loved it, and I hope it will be a lasting memory for them.

Last edited:
I am happy to say farewell to 2012. I started the year getting laid off from a job and I am ending the year finally getting a new job. The good part of the year was good health for myself, family and friends. I guess you can't beat that. 2013 is going to rock!

This year I started playing uke, started a uke club, went to Mighty Uke Day, UWC and TBUG and me some of the most amazing people in my life.

It only gets better. :)

I'll stay outta this as a pessimist and of a melancholic disposition :)
wonderful people on here and your encouragement,comments and support mean alot, love and good karma to you all, hoping next year will be a better one.

Merry xmas and a healthy and wealthy new year to you all.

Without a doubt UWC 2012. I got my first uke just before UWC 2011 and didn't know anything about it. I found this site and learned of UWC and did something totally out of character. In 2012, I went! And I camped out in my car and froze my butt off a bit.

I had the best time I've had in years and years. I met a bunch of hella-great people, and I met the only other uke player within an hour of me who happened to be roughing it 2 parking/camping spots away from me.

I read this site multiple times a day and value it and you (whoever you are - all of you) a bunch!

Mele Kalikimaka!

The year in uke started on a downer as the uke club kinda fell apart. But things picked up when Joey gave me a song she was working on, and I changed some chords, my husband added some chords, then just like that - we had to record it quickly. Y'all who haven't heard those first two songs haven't heard the voice Joey's been hiding from us. :) She came to us with more lyrics, and so, The Rocking Dodars was born.

Anders and I hardly ever played together before, but now, it's old hat. Just slowly plugging away at that first album, and Santa has some recording goodies under the tree. :)

This has been a phenomenal year for me in many ways. In my sixth decade, I discovered Bruddah Iz, which lead me to ukulele, Mighty Uke Day, Elderly Music, the UU, and a local group of uke players 'n' singers by the name of Harrison Steet Ukulele Players! I now own four ukuleles and have many new friends and music is a huge part of my life. My wife, as a result, is learning piano and we are proud owners of a Yamaha. Just last Wednesday, our uke Christmas party was on WGN evening news, the same station that Broadcasts Cubs games. It just keeps getting better! Thanks everyone. And God Bless.
Edstrummer.

My highlights of 2012, in rough chronological order:

Turned 50 while spending a beautifully quiet week in an amazing cottage overlooking the sea near Whitby, with Mrs Kahuna and our dogs.

Discovered UU and the wonderful people here.

A great week in New York for part of my 50[SUP]th[/SUP] celebrations, Mrs Kahuna's birthday and the purchase of my first 2 Ukes

3 weeks in Hawaii and yet another Uke

one of the highlights is doing something i have always wanted to do, play a musical instrutment, it was a chance pass by a music shop in our town saw the ukes in shop window and said to wife lets have a look at them, rest is history as they say,
a highlight while playing was wife knowing a song i was playing, after first line,
finding this site is a big bonus, so much info and help,

to all uu...ukers have a great xmas and a happy new year

Top Bottom