An octave down?

pootsie

Reaction score
Instead of a low-g set of strings, is it possible to get a set of strings that are all an octave down from the typical Uke C tuning?

Does anyone know of such a thing?

That would be an interesting sound. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot if they exist.

Kevin Wolfe in Cincinnati has a baritone tuned one octave low using fishing line, he could give you the recipe or maybe sell you some string. He'd probably have thoughts on tuning a smaller uke that wayif you message him.

Thanks all.

I am looking to do this on a concert size, re-entrant tuning. So it would be a low-g for the g string like a low-g set. and just lower strings for everything else.

I can't be the first to consider this, right?

The octave-lower strings from Guadalupe are pretty cool, but on a concert scale length I think you'll be bumping up against some laws of physics in terms of getting any kind of tone, and the string diameter / tension calculus for that short a scale length ...I would guess that for there to be enough tension for the strings to be playable, they would have to be very fat.
On the other hand, you could order a set of the octave low strings and try them out. Maybe you could just tune up from gcea a half step at a time until you got to satisfactory tension... or your bridge pops off...
Or you could mess around with classical guitar strings..two Ds for the 4th and the 1st (G&A) and A and E strings for the 2nd and 3rd (C&E). But I would expect some unhealthy structural issues with your uke with that much string tension.
Not that I'm any kind of expert, engineer, luthier, or physicist, but I've given this some thought too.

There's pretty much no way you'd be able to get that tuning to work on a concert uke, or even a tenor. As peewee says, you're pushing up against the laws of physics.

- FiL

There's pretty much no way you'd be able to get that tuning to work on a concert uke, or even a tenor... - FiL

or even a Baritone, unless you're amping it. With amplification you can make it work on a Soprano if you want to work the poor little thing over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom