Finish

nikolo727

Reaction score
Well, it seems that I have another problem on my hands. The finish on the neck of my ukulele is coming off. I notice that after use, it gets worse and worse. It started off with the neck starting to fade a little bit, then I keep seeing more and more chipped pieces off of the finish of it. I have no idea what to do cause it keeps happening? should I be polishing my uke?

Its not that big of a deal, cuz there are two outcomes: It will be fine and wont harm the playing of the uke or the uke itself, or its just another reason to get a new uke.

I wouldnt mind the latter.

:D

If it's a couple years old and the company doesn't have an extremely generous repair/return policy, you might as well just go all the way and take all the finish off the back of the neck with fine sandpaper and then oil it. Tung oil works pretty well; when the finish fell off the back of my Telecaster's neck, I gave it the same treatment and it's been fine for years.

In a couple minutes of research, I found this: http://www.thefret.net/archive/index.php/t-852.html

I had a Hawaiian koa uke with similar problems except the finish on mine was sticky on the neck and eventually wore off. It was an eye sore, so I stripped the uke and gave it a few coats of nitocellulose lacquer. It helped that my dad was into finishing ukes. It was a lot of work, but better than the original finish.

You can read up on finishes for ukes/guitars, just know that there are lots of differing opinions out there and many, many myths as you'll see around here. Perhaps this can be moved to the luthier section for some help.

what type of ukulele is it??

Wow sorry I couldnt get on any faster lol. It is a lanikai CK-TEQ tenor.

Also, I wouldnt trust myself, sanding my uke. I have no instrument building backround, and I just wouldnt feel good doing it myself. lol. Who could I sent it too to strip off the current finish, and replace it with a nice gloss maybe?

and yes I know you have to be careful with glossing. Thats why I want to send it to a professional. lol

Well I have convinced the parental units that something has to be done with my uke. I just dont want to risk the wood on the neck being damaged because of the finish, seemingly peeling off.

Advice on who I could send this too, to give it a new finish, would be greatly, incredibley appreciated.

Well I have convinced the parental units that something has to be done with my uke. I just dont want to risk the wood on the neck being damaged because of the finish, seemingly peeling off.

Advice on who I could send this too, to give it a new finish, would be greatly, incredibley appreciated.

What part of Pennsylvania are you in? Anywhere close to State College? If so, look up Mark Chaplain. Top notch luthier who does refins too.

yea im about two hours away from there, just north of Pittsburgh.

I'll check him out thanks.

I couldnt find a website or anything for him. His name is just so.....known and general lol. I got 1038298 results for mark and popups about being a catholic priest.

does he have a website, or can you give me any contact info?

Have you seen Willie Nelson's guitar?

1046936-md.jpg

Lost finish just adds character.

If you were to send your uke to a luthier for gloss finish, it may not be worth it for your Lanikai, may cost more than the uke itself. There is a lot of labor involved with nitrocellulose finishes if done with multiple coats and hand buffing, not to mention the labor involved to take off your old finish. Wouldn't hurt to ask though, I'm curious how much it would cost to refinish.

I couldnt find a website or anything for him. His name is just so.....known and general lol. I got 1038298 results for mark and popups about being a catholic priest.

does he have a website, or can you give me any contact info?

Contact Bill at Rainbow Music in State College. Mark does their work for them. He will know how to contact him.

Good luck.

For the amount of money you might spend to have it worked on,you might want to consider investing in a new uke and using that one as your beater.

thats very true. Thanks guys for all the help.

Ill probubly just keep it the way it is. That uke will be my stage uke, since it has a pickup and im thinking of getting a flea just for regular strummin'

thanks guys!

Top Bottom