Kamaka UKE Questions

igoklo

Reaction score
My friend is interested in purchasing a used Kamaka Tenor UKE. This uke was made in 2006 and appears to be the real deal.
But he is concerned with the following things. Maybe you guys know something about this UKE.
1.) My friend noticed that the fret bars are not polished on the edges and they seem sharp. Is this normal for Kamaka and what can be done to fix it.
2.) the tuners have a stylized S or a G Is this a Schlage tuner or is a Grover?
3.) Should the heel be flush with the body or is it ok to have some variance?
4.) There is a very small of laquer pooled in the recessed on the bridge. Is this normal?
So we were wondering if this is a factory second or that were being too picky. I mean its a very very expensive uke? What say the experts?
It came with a white wound c-string and black strings. The c-string buzzes a bit. I was hoping to swap strings.

Attachments

• kamaka left side .jpg
    kamaka left side .jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 51
  • kamaka back.jpg
    kamaka back.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 49
  • kamaka front JPG.jpg
    kamaka front JPG.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Kamaka right side.jpg
    Kamaka right side.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Is there any way for you to post photos of the ukulele your friend is interested in buying. It would help quite a bit if you could.

My friend is interested in purchasing a used Kamaka Tenor UKE. This uke was made in 2006 and appears to be the real deal.
But he is concerned with the following things. Maybe you guys know something about this UKE.
1.) My friend noticed that the fret bars are not polished on the edges and they seem sharp. Is this normal for Kamaka and what can be done to fix it.
4.) There is a very small of laquer pooled in the recessed on the bridge. Is this normal?
So we were wondering if this is a factory second or that were being too picky. I mean its a very very expensive uke? What say the experts?

Have your friend call Kamaka, they can answer those questions better then anyone, since they built it. However I do know "S" stands for Schaller.

Kamaka doesn't sell factory second. As for small imperfections...that was discussed in the Kamaka vs. Collings Thread.

There is a chance the prior owner did not do a good job humidifying the uke, which caused the frets to stick out a little. As long as there's no cracks, loose frets, bowing neck, separations, you should be good!

If it was me, depends on the price.

UKE Side Showing the rising frets

Kamaka Side.jpg
Is there any way for you to post photos of the ukulele your friend is interested in buying. It would help quite a bit if you could.

I think you are right about the shrinking koa wood. I see the frets have moved up a bit from the sides. Can this be fixed? I also get a bit of buzz on the c string when I play it. the c-sting is wound . Do all Kamkas come with wound c-string and can I swap it for regular stings?

yep I have added a few pics now

View attachment 46631

I think you are right about the shrinking koa wood. I see the frets have moved up a bit from the sides. Can this be fixed? I also get a bit of buzz on the c string when I play it. the c-sting is wound . Do all Kamkas come with wound c-string and can I swap it for regular stings?

I have added some pics to see. The side shows that there is a gap on the fretts. The side of the frets are very sharp and it looks like they are pulled up. Maybe thats normal i was thinking of tapping them very gently with a hammer back in . Maybe put a little glue in the gap and then tap. thoughts?

Calling Kamaka

Have your friend call Kamaka, they can answer those questions better then anyone, since they built it. However I do know "S" stands for Schaller.

I did try calling Kamaka and they refered me to there many VARS. It is frustrating. I was wondering if the uke could be fixed by them. Maybe I can fix it by using wood glue and then tapping down the frets. thoughts?

Kamaka can do the repairs but their back log is around 6 months. A good luthier could set those frets for you. Where do you live? Maybe a member here could recommend someone.

Hang tight igoklo. MMStan and others that can answer your questions will see this thread and be able to give you answers.

I bought a brand new Kamaka HF-2 earlier this year and yes there're gaps between the fret board and the fret wires.. so from the pictures, his uke does look very much like my kamaka. Kamaka finish isn't known to be meticulously gorgeous like the ones of Collings or even KoAloha. Not sure about the sharpness of the wire itself as I never blooded myself playing my Kamaka. Kamaka uses Schaller (sp??) tuners. S mark on the tuning machine suggests it as well.. so I do think those are genuine schaller side tuners standard on Kamaka tenors. From the pictures tho, I think it's a genuine kamaka in it's original state? About other issues, I have no idea..

My HF-3 experienced a buzz with the "C" string when I changed to a smaller diameter string. A little baking soda, a couple drops of crazy glue and a nut file and I was back in business. As for the frets, it's fairly simple to mask off the neck and file them yourself. Get the right size files and take your time. And before you start pounding on your frets, make sure the fret is actually high before you bang away on it. It may be that there is just a small void. If the fret is level, leave it alone.

Gary is right. And, just because there is a little gap under the fret doesn't mean it is a little loose in the slot. Don't glue the frets into place, you can damage the fret board if ever they do need serviced.

The Uke Neck needs to be rehydrated.

Put the Kamaka in one of those low profile Sterlite Plastic containers with a medium sized damp sponge. Over the course of a month or so, (always keep the sponge wet) the wood will absorb the moisture and swell back up. After the wood has swelled back close to the original shape, you can then work on fitting the fret.

Don't attempt to repair the fret without letting the wood rehydrate first because you might cause unnecessary work.

It came with a white wound c-string and black strings. The c-string buzzes a bit. I was hoping to swap strings.
How much are you getting this Kamaka for, initially I did not respond to this thread because these are such minor issues..to answer your questions..
1)the fret bars seem polished in the middle is bacause the strings are rubbing on them when played... as for the side of your frets ends, it should filed at 45 degree from the factory as mine is..
2)those are the regular origingal schaller tuners for the tenors....closed gear ones
3)Most of the Kamaka's heel is flush with the back, some with sligh variance...no big thing..only asthetics...
4)As for the the small run of lacquer....it is just a small issue and could have been overlooked...
Kamaka discontinued seconds a long time ago...and no longer sells seconds...geez it is a six year old uke, why are you worried so much on the asthetics, it could have a lot of nicks and scratches
by now....looks like you are lucky and it is a great deal....I'd try some martin M620's on there because it is a thinner strings first.. I am almost sure they are not the original strings and the previous
owner may have put on thicker strings...which may be hitting the frets since the C string is the thickest string..Good Luck

Kamaka strings which they install at the factory are quite thick, and as gyosh notes, the buzz could be a matter of a smaller diameter string on the ukulele. My Kamaka buzzed badly when I put Martin strings on it, but when I put some Aquilla strings on, it was fine. Aquillas are considerably thicker.

Kamaka is a factory made ukulele, and they are not known for perfection or exacting perfection. The fret ends can be filed, I have done this on some of my vintage ukuleles. Sometimes the wood shrinks depending on your climate/humidity. I would just fix the fret ends, and you are good to go.

As far as changing the strings to a non-wound, no problem at all. You just aren't supposed to put a wound string on a uke which doesn't have metal frets.

Top Bottom