How do you figure out what key matches your voice?

ukuloko

Reaction score
I reckon I can sing well enough right, but not in key lol. Was wondering if you guys had any tips and what not to figure out what key to play a song in other then just endlessly changing keys trial and error like until you get one that matches.

Cheers!

I reckon I can sing well enough right, but not in key lol. Was wondering if you guys had any tips and what not to figure out what key to play a song in other then just endlessly changing keys trial and error like until you get one that matches.

Cheers!
the keys of F and G work for most people.

I am a tenor and the key of G sometimes kills me, too low. Key of C is where I am at.
How did I figure it out? I started to notice that I prefer singing in C more than any other and when I transposed a song, that is where I was most comfortable.
That being said, there are songs like Creep from radiohead that I have to start in F since it goes super high near the end.
A lot of the time it is trial and error. G and F are most commonly used for uke group songs.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what key 'house of the rising sun' (the animals) and 'hallelujah' (jeff buckley) are in? Those are two songs I consider myself able to sing reasonably well, especially the latter.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what key 'house of the rising sun' (the animals) and 'hallelujah' (jeff buckley) are in? Those are two songs I consider myself able to sing reasonably well, especially the latter.

This is not always true, but what is the first chord in the song? That tends to be the key.
If you don't know or are unsure, I have found the chord chart from here helpful
http://www.ukechordchart.com/

I prefer to sing in D.

It is really a matter of just singing a LOT and figuring out where you are comfortable AND you sound good AND where you have vocal endurance. I "can" sing lower but it sounds like crap and hurts my throat.

Learning better technique never hurt anyone either. Voice ranges and quality can be built.

I prefer to sing in D.

It is really a matter of just singing a LOT and figuring out where you are comfortable AND you sound good AND where you have vocal endurance. I "can" sing lower but it sounds like crap and hurts my throat.

Learning better technique never hurt anyone either. Voice ranges and quality can be built.

I think my voice sounds better singing in a low range (for female) because my voice just croaks when I try and sign higher notes. I say better, I don't have a good singing voice even though I enjoy singing. I suppose practice will help... not sure I can escape having to sing at some point in the future if I ever want to perform to someone.

Sing every day for at least an hour. Sing with some volume. Sing with headphones blasting in your ears if your voice makes you uncomfortable. I find people who believe they don't sing well often aren't using enough air. More air strengthens and stabilizes your note. Ralph Shaw's blog has some good tips on breath techniques.

Can't tell you about Buckley's Hallelujah, but when I was just a tad, learning House of the Rising Sun on guitar, usually played Am-C-D-F-Am-F-E as the chord progression.

I have no idea what key that is - I'd guess Am, but This IS A Guess. It is Only a Guess. If this had been a real, informed comment, you would be instructed where to tune on your ukulele for blues and official information.

This concludes this Guess of the Musical Key Guessing Service.

And, in response to the OP - Trial and error, my friend. There are days that I'll attempt to sing a song I've been doing in one key for years, and I can't even sneak up on it, much less make it sound like music.

-Kurt​

I think it's pretty much trial and error to begin with. Then, you'll begin to notice which keys appear to be the most comfortable for you.

That said, depending on the songs different keys may come into play, especially if the song goes very low (for you) or very high (for you).

this matter of KEY can be a sensitive one for song circles/groups of singer-players. those who create the song sheets for song circles need to favor, I believe, those who will be leading the group. If it's uncomfortable for the group, well... that's how it is. If it's uncomfortable for the leaders, well... you can see how that could affect the entire group.

Our group at SUPA are very accommodating and polite as we don't usually get complaints about songs being too high or too low. Of course not everyone sings! But the keys are tailored to the moderators so at least those who are leading can sing strongly for the group :) It is a matter of concern, however.

Back to the question at hand: Trial and Error, man, no getting around that.

For me, with a lower register, I generally down-tune my performance uke (for solo work) about 1/2 to a whole step.
Again that's when I'm playing and singing alone. With a group, well, it's back to GCEA and a little voice straining :)

keep uke'in',

If you're on a site like Ultimate Guitar Tab that can change all the chords to a different key at once, try singing the song in the original key. Are there parts that are just too high or too low for you? If so, then lower or raise the key to get the song into a register that fits your voice. I've had songs that I've had to change half an octave, to the exact opposite key (if you go six half-tones up or six half-tones down, you get to the same key).

Actually, the key that a song is in is not really that important. More important are the notes he song uses. The key doesn't necessarily say anything about the range of the melody. One song in the key of F might mostly use notes that center in a comfortable place for you, but another song in F might not.

What I usually do when trying to find a key is figure out the highest note in the melody. Then I'll transpose the song to whatever key is necessary to put that note at the top of my own range.

I'll also usually thenl adjust a bit up or down if necessary to put the song in a nice, easy "uke" key. :)

JJ

The Animals played "House of the Rising Sun" in the key of A minor.

Jeff Buckley did "Hallelujah" in the key of C major. (Also the key of the original, Leonard Cohen, version.)

JJ

If you can sing a tune relatively well, try stopping in a music store and tell the guy you would like to know what key you sing in. Then belt out your tune, and maybe he can tell you. If a music store doesn't work, try asking a local musician. You won't need to perform for the guy, just sing a line or two. The guys that are good will be able to tell you straight away.

From there, you can adjust the chord charts to best suit your voice.

I sing in the key of Ringo.

Hey thanks for all the advice will definitely take it on board. I'll fiddle around with the keys and try find out what range of notes I'm comfortable with, and hopefully progress will be made ha :)

And if you really run into a great cord progression that just doesn't fit in your vocal range - well that is what baritone ukuleles are for.

I don't sing very well in ANY key....but I probably will anyway...

Top Bottom