anyone heard of hanknn ukulele?

HeroNamedFinn

Reaction score
I just got my hanknn zebrawood ukulele that i bought off ebay and i was wondering if anyone heard of it. I got it for 70 bucks and for that price for a zebrawood ukulele i dont think it can be beat. It sounds decent and its great for fingerpicking.

I saw it too and I believe it is China made. I have seen some videos demo as well and they sound fine for the price. I think if that uke meets your need and it is within your budget, then it is a fine uke.

I just googled it and Hanknns are being shipped from mainland China, so I would have to agree with Cahaya. The first Uke I bought was in Beijing and I suspect was a knockoff Tanglewood, but for my first uke and for the first year it was totally fine, and I was really happy to have it. As long as you are happy then it does not matter :)

Last edited:
I just got my hanknn zebrawood ukulele t.

Ya mean like dis, eh? http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...ert-best-sound-Ukulele-Size-21/628940274.html

or koa pili cocoa
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/all-...ar-with-Spanish-Oblique-Insert/476472958.html

or the blonde small guitar ukulele
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/The-...pe-Ukulele-Hawaii-small-guitar/689838147.html

Haven't bought a uke off dis site but I have a $75 Android tablet I bought that's pretty cool.

Ali Express is just the amazon retailer of the Chinese assembly line stuff you see in all the retailers, bigbox and small, without the middlewalton. Alibaba is fur the holesailors.

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this topic back but can't resist.... This post comes up the third in google while you search Hanknn, probably the first if you search only in English language, so I guess I may add something to it.

Several dozens of uke makers have made it to 2012 Shanghai Instrument Expo, so I wouldn't be suprised if there are some hundreds of uke makers in China. They mostly do cheap entry level ukes though.

Speaking of this Hanknn, here are some facts I've heard about: 1) They do have a factory, not OEM brands like some others. 2) Their entry level ukes are sold pretty well in China, maybe about 10k in the recent year, and that is just their own online store. 3) One of my friends owns the zebrawood model and it is as good as an entry level uke can be.

They also have a blog (in Chinese). Judging from the posts it seems that they really take the business very seriously.

Got both a Homeland + a Hanknn.

Both very good out the box. The Homeland is a Zebrawood ply soprano, and has a gorgeous, woody, 'earthy' sound to it. I'll admit to being drawn to its looks. In fact it plays just fine without needing any setup work.
My Hanknn is a concert scale. Not sure of the wood. It was advertised as Sapele. Whatever it is, it sounds great. Intonated perfectly, great fun to play. Very well made with perfect bookmatching and a laser etched rosette. Single ply body binding front and rear.

Sorry to bring this topic back but can't resist.... This post comes up the third in google while you search Hanknn, probably the first if you search only in English language, so I guess I may add something to it.

Several dozens of uke makers have made it to 2012 Shanghai Instrument Expo, so I wouldn't be suprised if there are some hundreds of uke makers in China. They mostly do cheap entry level ukes though.

Speaking of this Hanknn, here are some facts I've heard about: 1) They do have a factory, not OEM brands like some others. 2) Their entry level ukes are sold pretty well in China, maybe about 10k in the recent year, and that is just their own online store. 3) One of my friends owns the zebrawood model and it is as good as an entry level uke can be.

They also have a blog (in Chinese). Judging from the posts it seems that they really take the business very seriously.

I just got my hanknn zebrawood ukulele that i bought off ebay and i was wondering if anyone heard of it. I got it for 70 bucks and for that price for a zebrawood ukulele i dont think it can be beat. It sounds decent and its great for fingerpicking.

Hi, dear friends, i am from Shanghai, China. I know Hanknn very much. It is very cheap and popular in China as an entry and middle level ukulele. But i think they should add more importance on setup of ukulele.

just enjoy it if the one you own has a nice sound.

I have bought their 23" zebrawood concert, altogether with shipping for 53$, and for this price, it is a unbeatable. Came with preattached Aquilla strings and lock for strap which is nice touch.
Musically, I can compare with Oscar Schmidt OU2 which is in my country the cheapest brand concert uke - still almost double the price, around 95$, and the Hanknn is far more superior. Sure, OS OU2 has warmer tones - that is obviously because of the used mahagony wood, the zebrawood is more deeper and mellow, but I like the Hanknn sound more.
And also, Hanknn ukes are really pleasant to look at, the design is wonderful - i like the laser engraved rosetta on mine.

One thing i dont like much is the frets - they are really low (like deep inside the fretboard), and i often play unclear notes, but i believe this is just case of getting used to it.

Altogether - would recommend.

A few months ago I signed up on AliExpress, it's kinda' like the Amazon of China. I found Hanknn there when I saw this uke photo. I ordered it and it turned out to be very nice, though the color is much darker than the photo (left is mine, right is their web photo). Acacia koa, not sure if it's solid or laminate, their web site lists similar models as solid, but did not specify that for this model, but well worth the price of $148 US plus $40 shipping.

I had it setup by a luthier, including deepening the bridge saddle space, changed the strings to Worth (it was brash with the included Aquila strings) and I added a pickup and preamp/tuner myself. It's fairly bright with good sustain and presence.

Since then I've ordered a variety of items from them and Lynn Nie has been very attentive and pleasant to work with.

Uku Flame Acaciakoa both.jpg

Last edited:
I recently bought a TVZ-Hanknn concert uke. The build quality is superb when compared to most cheaper ukes from Amazon.com. It compares favorably to most of the ukes at a music store near where I live. My wife and I are very happy with it.

Top Bottom