True Story

Pondoro

Reaction score
A buddy's mom and sister were driving and saw a sign that pointed to "Ukulele Jam." His sister said that she wanted to stop and buy some ukulele jam.

A buddy's mom and sister were driving and saw a sign that pointed to "Ukulele Jam." His sister said that she wanted to stop and buy some ukulele jam.

That's what happens when you speak a language that has words with multiple meanings. ;) It would be interesting to see where the word "jam" came from when pertaining to musicians. I'll look it up when I have time.

That's what happens when you speak a language that has words with multiple meanings. ;) It would be interesting to see where the word "jam" came from when pertaining to musicians. I'll look it up when I have time.

That would be very interesting. When I started reading your reply about one word having multiple meanings I immediately thought about "fleas."

I was recently wondering the etymology of that word as well....so I looked it up online.
jam (n.2)
"a tight pressing between two surfaces," 1806, from jam (v.). Jazz meaning "short, free improvised passage performed by the whole band" dates from 1929, and yielded jam session (1933); but this is perhaps from jam (n.1) in sense of "something sweet, something excellent." Sense of "machine blockage" is from 1890, which probably led to the colloquial meaning "predicament, tight spot," first recorded 1914.

Ryan, I'm fascinated by etymology too ;)

Top Bottom