PDA

View Full Version : Sharp fret ends on a Pono

Tailgate
12-21-2012, 09:12 AM
I left my Pono MTD at work for awhile now and notice that the fret ends are now a little 'proud' because it seems the fret board had shrunken slightly. I'm sure it's humidity related with dry air at the office and the Pono uncased.

Before I do some drastic DYI dressing of the fret ends, I wonder if casing it with a good humidifier and giving it a week or so should help? Guess it can't hurt. In the future, I'll keep it cased.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance..

ukeeku
12-21-2012, 09:18 AM
Common issue. Over time with shrinking and expanding it could cause issues in the future, keep it humidified and life should be good.
maybe a little gibson fretboard oil could help too.

BlackBearUkes
12-21-2012, 09:49 AM
I left my Pono MTD at work for awhile now and notice that the fret ends are now a little 'proud' because it seems the fret board had shrunken slightly. I'm sure it's humidity related with dry air at the office and the Pono uncased.

Before I do some drastic DYI dressing of the fret ends, I wonder if casing it with a good humidifier and giving it a week or so should help? Guess it can't hurt. In the future, I'll keep it cased.

Fretboards aren't sponges that will expand and shrink because you expose them to moisture. The fretboard is drying out and nine times out of ten will stay that way, especially if it was made in Hawaii and now lives in Texas. I would get the frets dressed properly and if the fretboard continues to shrink, get them dressed again.

ukeeku
12-21-2012, 10:05 AM
Fretboards aren't sponges that will expand and shrink because you expose them to moisture. The fretboard is drying out and nine times out of ten will stay that way, especially if it was made in Hawaii and now lives in Texas. I would get the frets dressed properly and if the fretboard continues to shrink, get them dressed again.
Please read this with a tone of an academic conversation, by no means do I have near the chops and experience that you do in the world of building.
From personal experience, and these are cheap ukes. I have had several ukes come in from China that still had the silicone packs in them to keep them dry on the trip over. The frets would be sticking out the side of the neck. I put them in a case with a few Herco clay case humidifiers and they were a lot better after about a week. they were not all the way back to normal by no means.

Rick Turner
12-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Common problem. Have the fret ends properly filed and polished. Then keep the uke properly humidified. In that order... If the uke is way too dry, after the fret ends are dressed, the fingerboard will expand slightly...no problem...and if it shrinks a bit again, you will still probably not have a problem.

Tailgate
12-22-2012, 03:09 AM
Common problem. Have the fret ends properly filed and polished. Then keep the uke properly humidified. In that order... If the uke is way too dry, after the fret ends are dressed, the fingerboard will expand slightly...no problem...and if it shrinks a bit again, you will still probably not have a problem.

thanks Rick.. will do

Dan Uke
12-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Here's a video about humidity for a guitar...pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43sbE9n7zv4

Tailgate
01-14-2013, 12:49 PM

Here's an update.. I cased it with a humidifier for 3 weeks and the fretboard expanded quite a bit, making the fret ends only slightly proud... I took it to the one and only local music store and had their tech guy dress the frets. 30 minutes and $20 bucks later, good as new... turns out he is a luthier.. guitars only, mostly electric and also bass guitars... has a website.. SHAWGUITARS (www.shawguitars.com) great guy

stevepetergal
01-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I would have followed Rick Turner's advice. Humidifying first is just asking for the problem to return.