Banjo ukulele

Anniett

Reaction score
I have not been playing a uke very long but have just been given a lovely looking banjo ukulele made by Vintage. It does not seem to have a serial number anywhere. I will try to work out how to post a photo. Can anyone tell me anything about this make of banjolele?

It has very thick, black nylon strings at the moment and the bridge has been very badly altered to try to accommodate them. I am seeking advice on what sort of replacement strings I should use; Aquilla/Worth nylon/flurocarbon or metal ones? Also, would a 4 string banjo bridge be the right type to use as a replacement? My husband has been playing guitars for many years and is happy to (and capable of!) setting it up for me but I am not sure what to buy! Many thanks for any help you can give me.

IMG_0986.jpgIMG_0990.jpgIMG_0989.jpg

That looks just like a Gold Tone Banjolele delux. What is wrong with the bridge? Do the strings stay in place?
Aquila banjo ukulele strings sounded good on my banjo uke, but that is a preference. They have a wound C string for added twang.
If it is the same as my Gold Tone than a 4 string bridge will not work. You would have to buy an un-slotted bridge and slot it correctly. the strings are spaced further apart than what you could normally buy.
I recommend an Iucci mute also for your husbands and neighbors sanity
http://ukeeku.com/2011/04/24/iucci-banjo-mute/

What is wrong with the bridge? Do the strings stay in place?

The original "grooves" are cut very deep and narrow and appear too far apart. A second set of "notches" have been cut alongside the originals (not at equal spacings though). My husband suggested a blank bridge that he would notch as necessary. The strings are fine once they reach the fretboard and are evenly spaced up to the tuners. It refuses to stay in tune at the moment though which is annoying as, of course, I am desperate to try playing it!

Top Bottom