Kala acoustic or acoustic/electric vs. Oscar Schmidt?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
Hi, I just ordered an Oscar Schmidt 0U5 which is due to be delivered on Wednesday. I was all excited but then started seeing some of the reviews and comments about the ukulele, and now I'm having second thoughts.

The seller offers a ten day refund policy, so I may end up shipping it right back once it arrives. If so, I'm contemplating buying either a Kala KA-KCE or a Kala KA-KC. I definitely want Koa, and a concert size, but I'm not sure about whether it is worth another $50 for an electric.

Years ago, I played the guitar (electric more than acoustic), so I'm not sure. Part of me prefers the acoustic sound and so I figure I don't need it, but I'm really looking to make this my one and only purchase...I don't want to regret not getting an electic option when it was available.

So my two questions are these: 1) is the Oscar that bad? 2) Would you get the KA-KC or the KA-KCE?

One and only purchase? :confused::eek:

Generally speaking though, Kala's are better quality (frets,finish,action) than O.S.

Yeah, alas, my Mom bought my first one for me in Honolulu a few weeks ago, but it is a soprano, and I would prefer getting a concert one. I wish I could build my collection, but I own a travel agency...one of the worst professions in the current economy with nobody traveling. So even the O.S. was an extravagance at this point. I just would rather pay $250 for one I really like than $150 for one I am not crazy about.

It should be noted that I'm not a very good guitar player and I'm about as beginning as you can get at ukulele, so I probably wouldn't even notice a quality differential.

(Still, that being said, I'm the kind of person who bought a $250 baseball glove to play softball and I'm an average fielder on my best days). But after the glove, I'm hoping to make this my SECOND most prized possession and I'm the kind of person who is never satisfied if I feel I settled for less than I should have.

All this big talk though, I need the refund from the first seller before I can buy from the second. I already now have in my head that I probably should return it and get the Kala.

So now the question remains, acoustic or electric Kala?

I like your thinking, getting something you really like vs something you're not crazy about. Getting the Kala with a pickup is a plus should you decide you wanna amp it in the future and you can still play it acoustically. That said, you should try MGM about a purchase. Mike is a member of UU and a number of folks have bought instruments from him and will vouch for his quick service. You can also pose any questions regarding Kala as well as asking for advice as to which one you should get. Before I forget, Kala KA-KC series ukes are laminates (just a FYI).

The ???? is will you be playing for yourself or for a crowd with other folks playing with you (drowning you out).

Yourself - Acoustic
Crowd with others - Electric

Top Bottom