1950-60 Roy Smeck ukulele

NoahOathKeeper

Reaction score
localy there is a guy selling a 1950-60 Roy Smeck ukulele
and harmony ukulele soprano by the looks of them
anyone have any idea of there basic worth ?
not just price but, price and how good of a instrument ether one was
PS he is asking $250 each
ive added pics if that helps rs uke.jpgHarm uke.jpgboth uku.jpg

Harmony made a lot of cheap so so ukes, and some very nice ones. the one on the right looks like one of their inexpensive plastic fretboard ones. I've never had one , I like to stay away from plastic, unless its a Maccaferri. the one on the left looks like one of the inexpensive Roy Smecks. I had one of the higher end ones, and it was a very nice uke. it's hard to tell from the pic which model it is. I think , from what I can tell, they are overpriced, but I'm no expert.

I have a Roy Smeck just like the one in the image. I got mine for about $25 I think on ebay. Sometimes they go for as much as $75 or $100 depending on condition. For $250 you could get several from ebay in great shape. Now as to the sound, I think they are a very good instrument. Mine has a very nice mahogany sound and it is very loud. Harmony used very thin mahogany for these (they often have cracks so look out) much like vintage Martins. The attention to detail isn't the same as Martin. Bits of old glue from sloppy lining jobs, rough cut kerf linings etc. If you look at ebay now the prices are high because of the holidays. Check them again in a month and you'll see the same two ukuleles for very cheap.

Thank you all soo much for your fast replys and the info , that is exactly what i was thinking
ive emailed the guy

I got my Roy Smeck for $20 and it came with a song book, circa 1928. The guy can ask whatever he wants, but that's just the asking price. Sounds like haggle time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwWz0VM94m8

The inexpensive (cheap) ukes don't make for very good players in their old age. But they are good conversation pieces and are cool to have around.

Top Bottom