Low G tuning??

Breadman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm kind of new to ukulele and I'm a bit unfamiliar with low or high G tunings.

Could someone please tell me the advantages and disadvantages of each?

thanks

This was one of my very first questions here too, so I'll let you know what I have learned for a relative newbie. I've been playing now about nine months. I'm not so much of a strummer, but more of a picker. In otherwords, I play my ukes more like mini-classical guitars rather than the typical strumming you see. For strumming, I think either the high or low G works about the same, it is just that with the low G you get a fuller, deeper tone, but it does lose some of that typical "uke sound" that so many come here for in the first place. As a picker like me, I think the low G is definitely the way to go and sounds and plays more natural, and is much closer to the way a guitar or bass is played (my background). The other thing, when hitting that 2nd fret on the high G string, you are matching the open A string, so alot of those chords end up with two of the same pitch. So with that said, I have eight ukes now (though two are baritones) and only keep one of the tenors tuned with a high G. All the other tenors and my one concert has the low G string.

Top Bottom