Our visit to Ko'olau/Pono (and maybe HMS too)!

erios999

Reaction score
Well folks, where do I start? For a good part of the year my girlfriend and I had been planning a trip to Oahu. Her first time and my third. Ever since my first visit to the islands in 2010 I've never shut up about it. For lack of a better word, it moved my soul and I was convinced it would move hers. It did by the way :). We landed December 7th at around 11:30am. We picked up the rental and headed to Waikiki for lunch. I took her to Pua Pua Ukulele to show here where I first strummed an uke during a free lesson for the tourists. After that it was straight to Waiawa to Ko'olau/Pono to visit the shop.

We pulled into a pretty nondescript, little industrial park where you could hear roosters crowing in the background. This is where it all goes down. Really not much to look at from the outside and not set up to take customers. We walked up and told the first person who noticed us that we heard we could buy ukes there. Braddah's name was Danny and he was an awesomely nice person. He took us upstairs past, a guy setting up some clamps and some other guys maybe doing finishing work. He probably spent an hour or more with us. Not the slightest hint of impatience. He helped us discover what would be the best instruments for us as we were really overwhelmed. He went through all the differences of the ukes, would tune everything and then hand it right over. It was too much for us amateurs to take! This room full of ukes is also where a lot of the Hawaii Music Supply videos are done. You'll be able to tell in the pictures. In the end my girlfriend picked up an MT and I got the MTD8. John Kitakis who was also very friendly, told me that the 8 string is the uke he brings home every day. He said he loves the harmonics.

I've probably rambled more than you care to read. I have to say big, big mahalos to Danny for his patience and kindness! We wanted to take a picture with him and John but we were trying not to creep them out. Still wish we did though. Hawaii is a beautiful place but it's the people that make it special.

-Rick

P.S.: We visited Hawaii Music Supply in Haleiwa too and they were just as awesome. Maybe I'll share that visit in this post too.

20121207_173238.jpg 20121207_173227.jpg 20121207_164237.jpg20121207_164224.jpg20121207_164244.jpg

That's so cool. I enjoyed reading your post, especially since I am getting a new Pono for Christmas. Very envious!

Sounds like a fun trip! congrats. Just curious, how different is the MTD from the MT?

Extremely interesting. So, they do take people right off the street, or was this an exception for your and your sig. other, e?

Sounds like a fun trip! congrats. Just curious, how different is the MTD from the MT?

It was very fun Depthy and thank you! :) As far as I understand, the MTD is the gloss (Deluxe) version of the MT. Getting to hear both of them in person showed me that there was the slightest hint of muting with the gloss finish. It seemed like the satin finish rang more and longer. Of course, I could be imagining.

-Rick

Extremely interesting. So, they do take people right off the street, or was this an exception for your and your sig. other, e?

Initially I was unsure but I was browsing the Oahu Craigslist one day and noticed a pretty basic ad for ukes up in Waiawa at what just happened to be the same address as Ko'olau's.

Edit: Found the post! honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/msd/3438361713.html (hope it's ok to link it)

Last edited:
The last time my wife, Cali, and I visited John, Noa's and Andrew's shop, I ordered my first Ko'olau! I'll have to leave my credit card at home the next time we visit!...;)

Great story! Thanks! Any more pix? I'd been wondering what you chose, since I remembered that you'd be there on 12/07.

Did you happen to notice if they where going to be open on the 24th or 26th? I'm on vacation visiting my sister who's house is about 5 minutes away from Wahiawa. I've already been to HMS twice and also visited the Kanile'a factory. I've already bought two Pono's thru Ko'olaus ebay website. I'm curious as to what other seconds they have and maybe get a price quote on a custom Ko'olau Tenor.

Wow, all this great talk about your visit and Pono ukes in general make me wish I'd given a second thought to getting a Pono MT when I had the chance recently to get one at a fantastic price. But some self-control was in order then...

The last time my wife, Cali, and I visited John, Noa's and Andrew's shop, I ordered my first Ko'olau! I'll have to leave my credit card at home the next time we visit!...;)

You, Craig, are one of the few that truly does service to a Ko"olau with your playing. It's okay to own them...you can bring your credit card. lol

Great story! Thanks! Any more pix? I'd been wondering what you chose, since I remembered that you'd be there on 12/07.

Thank you :). I have a couple more pics of the shop I think and I can take all the pics you'd like of the ukes. I picked up an MTD8, 8-string, mahogany, gloss, tenor and my girlfriend picked up the MT, mahogany, tenor with the satin finish.

Did you happen to notice if they where going to be open on the 24th or 26th? I'm on vacation visiting my sister who's house is about 5 minutes away from Wahiawa. I've already been to HMS twice and also visited the Kanile'a factory. I've already bought two Pono's thru Ko'olaus ebay website. I'm curious as to what other seconds they have and maybe get a price quote on a custom Ko'olau Tenor.

Not sure about their holiday schedule. I'd give them a call. They are really nice folks. I remember a lot of baritones and tenors. There were a few concerts and fewer sopranos. I'm working off of memory here so take that with a few tons of salt. Actually, you should be able to see in the pictures. Whatever was on the wall (that was Pono) was available. I think I have one more pic that showed what was on the wall. I'll put that up in a few.

-Rick

Wow, all this great talk about your visit and Pono ukes in general make me wish I'd given a second thought to getting a Pono MT when I had the chance recently to get one at a fantastic price. But some self-control was in order then...

I tell you what buddy, I was so jealous of my gf when she got that MT on discount (the only one available) that I bought one yesterday on Craigslist that happened to show up here in Phoenix! It's a joy to play and listen to.

-Rick

Awesome report, but now we need pics from your visit to HMS please. :cool:

Thanks for the report. I have a two Ponos -- a mahogany baritone and a six-string mahogany tenor that was a blemished/refurbished uke sold by Ko'olau on eBay. Love them both, and always wanted to stop in on the Ko'olau/Pono factory. Thanks for the pics and congratulations on your new ukuleles!

Top Bottom