For Martin Lovers: I like the C1K

pdxuke

Reaction score
My local shop has a c1k, one of the new koa Mexican made instruments. I've been playing it over the last few days--and I am growing to love it.

I normally do not care for concert ukes, but since the don't make a s1k, this is the next best thing.

The geared tuners still bother me. I really wish they had gone with friction tuners.

Does anyone own one of these?

Hi, p. The reason I wouldn't get one is the geared tuners. Strange looking on a Martin.

That said, it's nice that you have toured that one. Did you buy that, too?

No. The geared tuners stopped me. But it sounded sweet. Now if I dared swap them out for friction tuners....:confused:

Buy the CK1 and switch out the tuners. You do not need a reamer. 80 grit snadpaper rolled in a tight cylinder will easily enlarge the hole if necessary. Just go slowly checking your progress continuously. A couple turns in the direction of least resistance then a turn in the other direction to reform the sandpaper cylinder. This week I changed out geared tuners on soprano uke for friction tuners. No problem. Conversely, I ditched the friction tuners on my Koalana as I had to tighten them so much to hold the string tension they were near impossible to turn. Although I prefer workable friction tuners on a soprano practicality and smooth working of tuners will trump aesthetics for my purposes. My TK1 has efficient geared tuners and I see no reason to trade them for friction tuners.

Last edited:
There is a guy on YouTube with a video of all the recent Martin ukes, I was surprised at how good the koa models sounded but I"m strictly a vintage Martin guy. Are you off vintage ukes now pdx?

Hi Gary:

Mostly, yes. I have my Martin 48 style 0, but I'm mostly interested in seeing what's new right now. The only vintage uke I'd be interested in is a Martin, and I'd really like a tenor from the 40s-50s. They were fabulous instruments. I'm spoiled in that I like my instruments really clean, and of course, for a vintage Martin that means $$$.

The newer Martins are really very, very good.

P, I've had the C1K for the past 6 months??? and love it. People always comment to me about the beauty of the koa and of course, the Martin name. The open geared tuners and the fact that it was made in Mexico do not bother me. I love the sweet sound it produces and how it fits nicely in my arms.

I spent some time in McCabe's playing the C1K and I really liked it a lot. I was playing a couple of Collings ukes alongside it, and I did think the Colllings were more refined, but I haven't been able to get the C1k out of my head. I have a vintage Martin Tenor from the 40s, but I generally prefer concert ukes. I'd rather have the new C1k than my vintage tenor.

I spent some time in McCabe's playing the C1K and I really liked it a lot. I was playing a couple of Collings ukes alongside it, and I did think the Colllings were more refined, but I haven't been able to get the C1k out of my head. I have a vintage Martin Tenor from the 40s, but I generally prefer concert ukes. I'd rather have the new C1k than my vintage tenor.

Hey Katysax:

Here's what we can do: I'll buy you the Martin concert and you can send me your vintage Martin tenor :cool: haha

I've thought of offering it up for trade for a C1k and some $$$ but why not just sell the tenor and buy a C1k if I still want one?

Top Bottom