Swapping out Geared for Friction

pdxuke

Reaction score
Friend Luthiers:

I like the sound of the Martin c1T Koa uke, built in Mexico. I hate the geared tuners, however. If I removed the small screws, and traded them out for friction tuners, would I be able to easily go backwards again? Once the screws are out, can they be reinstalled?

I've done this on less expensive "novelty" ukes but have never re-installed the geared tuners. I don't even care if the wholes are back there, I just want friction tuners.

Possible?

My pal, pdx, I don't know the answer to your question, so will await the answer from our respected luthiers at UU. But I will tell you this--if Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners fit that uke, they are much smoother and better than these stock Martin frictions on my cherry 3. Gotoh Deluxe has more "moving parts" to make them silk-like in their movement. They are used on high end Kiwayas--like their top of the line Master grade series. I think they are something like $60 a set or so. You'll have to check the weight to see if they are more than you want on your uke head, though (but are likely similar to your geared tuners you're removing, now that I think of it). I understand your removing those geared tuners..they look funny and get in the way of fretting. Good idea to save the geared and throw them back on someday when you sell it, and save the great frictions for another day, another uke.

Just do it. Sometimes the face bushings are an issue.

David--

I changed out my vintage for Pings, and just used the old face bushings and that worked. Perhaps it will work with these bushings too. If it doesn't, I may have to get a luthier to just make the change, fill the holes, put a bit of finish on it and just never look back. Pimp that concert...

I notice that Kiwaya concerts (like the KTC-3 played by Bosko) come with Gotoh Deluxe friction tuners straight away from Japan. I'd buy that over a Martin concert just for the tuners.

Do let us know what happens with your tuner swap, p.

Top Bottom