What type of wood?

Know

Reaction score
I'm making a solid body electric tenor ukulele and I have the dimensions and everything ready to build but I'm stuck at finding wood to use to build it.

Does anyone know what type of wood I could use to build my uke that's fairly cheap and where would I get it?

Last edited:
alder for the body, mahogany or maple for the neck.
I'm making a solid body electric baritone ukulele and I have the dimensions and everything ready to build but I'm stuck at finding wood to use to build it.

Does anyone know what type of wood I could use to build my uke that's fairly cheap and where would I get it?

LMI, Allied Lutherie, Gilmer Hardwoods, etc., etc., etc.

Yellow pages for "hardwoods" or "lumber".

And are you tooled up in any way to do this? I ask because if you don't know where to get very common hardwoods, I would guess that you are not really ready to take on a project like this. Consider an adult ed woodworking shop class...

My uncle is a carpenter/woodworker. He has an entire garage dedicated as a wood shop. Have all the tools I could possibly want and if it gets hairy I'll go to him for help.

My uncle is a carpenter/woodworker. He has an entire garage dedicated as a wood shop. Have all the tools I could possibly want and if it gets hairy I'll go to him for help.

You'll be just fine Mr. Know. I started out with almost no information and even fewer tools. Desire, dedication and commitment are the most important tools you can have in your box. Keep an open mind and keep asking questions.

Top Bottom