I need help with songs to play!

ukulelelearner

Reaction score
Hello my fellow ukers,

I go to school for music with my primary instrument being piano and my secondary is organ. 2 or 3 years ago I got my very first uke and I haven't put it down since. I talked to a professor of mine and we are starting a 'ukulele orchestra' for middle to late aged adults (basically anyone can come!). Could you give me some recommendations of songs to arrange for this? I have some in mind, but I would love everyone's input-remember they will be typically older people.

Thanks so much, happy holidays, and uke on!

Annemarie

I can't give you any specific songs, but depending on your circumstances, you might need to be aware of how copyright could affect your group.

If you will be meeting on a campus, schools are pretty strictly regulated on that stuff. Passing out photocopies of copyrighted material may not fly.

I don't know what your definition of "older" people is. But there's a lot of public domain stuff out there that's a lot of fun to play and sing along to.

Sounds like a great idea and I wish you all the best with it. :)

Hello my fellow ukers,

I go to school for music with my primary instrument being piano and my secondary is organ. 2 or 3 years ago I got my very first uke and I haven't put it down since. I talked to a professor of mine and we are starting a 'ukulele orchestra' for middle to late aged adults (basically anyone can come!). Could you give me some recommendations of songs to arrange for this? I have some in mind, but I would love everyone's input-remember they will be typically older people.

Thanks so much, happy holidays, and uke on!

Annemarie
There are lot of songbooks in the public domain produced by a ton of uke groups around the world, even punk rock stuff! Just do a search under "ukulele songbooks pdf" and Bob's yer uncle!

Also the Daily Ukulele songbooks from the Beloffs are very good as they focus a lot on favourites.

There are lot of songbooks in the public domain produced by a ton of uke groups around the world, even punk rock stuff! Just do a search under "ukulele songbooks pdf" and Bob's yer uncle!

Also the Daily Ukulele songbooks from the Beloffs are very good as they focus a lot on favourites.

I second the suggestion for both The Daily Ukulele songbooks! They have great songs and something for all abilities!

Good Luck with your group!

"Yesterday."

My first thought for that age group was "anything Beatles" Good searching!
-joe

I have put links to a number of sites that have songs that you might like. Check the Handy links section of tulsaukes.blogspot.com

Now the Jim Beloff two books have an advantage over some places with simple song sheets (lyrics and chords) in that you can see the melody line so you can see the melody and the timing. Much better than just lyrics and chords. Some 700+ songs there so there will be something that will appeal to your group.

I have not found a site with only pre-copyright songs. Playing these songs may be advisable to preclude any problems with the "music cops?

Daily ukulele is the way to go.

hi Annemarie,

why don't you wait until the members of your orchestra begin to assemble and ask them what they'd like to play, rather than be prescriptive about it and tell them in advance? Get them to each make some lists of the styles they are interested in, and some particular songs, look for crossover points and start compiling your repertoire. Just a suggestion. Love your idea and commitment to it, hope it is an awesome success for you all! :)

Top Bottom