Bb is impossible, I can't barre!

Youkalaylee

Reaction score
Really need to learn this chord for a song I wanna learn. I've read the tips on ukulele hunt but keeping my finger straight is hard when im only barring two strings.

After 5 mins of trying I've hurt my wrist and my finger. Whenever I try and barre my finger ends up bending in all sorts of ways and won't keep straight or still. I can sometimes get the two strings to ring clearly but then when I try and fret the other strings in the chord I can't hold it.

Any tips please? Feel like I've hit a wall here :(

I do not barre it. I used my pointer finger to hold down the E and A
Like this picture
play-bb-ukulele-1.5-800x800.jpg

Keep trying, after awhile you'll be able to form the chord.

I don't bar the first fret, I just use the tip of my index finger to press the 1st and 2nd strings down.

Keep trying, after awhile you'll be able to form the chord.

I don't bar the first fret, I just use the tip of my index finger to press the 1st and 2nd strings down.

Oh yeah, that's what I meant *embarassed face*

The ukulele for dummies book referred to it as a barre. I can't get my finger to hold down 2 strings.

Last edited:
if you use pointer and middle finger instead of barre it might be easier,
this is a must to learn it is in a lot of songs, i can do it clean but slow,
keep going it will come in time

If you can play the same chord shape up the neck, say 5433 or 6544, with out too much problem then your strings may be set too high at the nut.

Try that and see what happens.

If you can play the same chord shape up the neck, say 5433 or 6544, with out too much problem then your strings may be set too high at the nut.

Try that and see what happens.

Nope no difference, I can play the E string most of the time clean its just the A string that never seems to sound dull.

Just practice with the 1+2 string and get a clean sound (don't worry about what chord that is) and then once you get that down. Press, strum, lift up, strum, press strum and repeat. Then after you are comfortable, add just the 3 string and do the same excercise. Then add the 4th after that. I have learned some difficult chords through this method and it does work. You just have to give it time and not get frustrated. Then once you have the chord down, practice Bb to G transition just to get your figures used to moving back and forth out of that shape using at least three fingers. Eventually you will develop muscle memory. It just takes times. Of course it always takes 100x longer than you want ;-)

Cheers!

Nope no difference, I can play the E string most of the time clean its just the A string that never seems to sound dull.

Assignment: Do it like the photo above 200 times. You'll be an expert after that!

Try rotating your index finger away from you and you may have an easier time. I don't know how else to explain it.

You can try moving your wrist around into various positions too. I rotate my hand a bit toward the headstock to grab the chord...I think.... *runs to try* Yeah, my index finger is not quite parallel to the fret.

Last edited:
Really need to learn this chord for a song I wanna learn. I've read the tips on ukulele hunt but keeping my finger straight is hard when im only barring two strings.

After 5 mins of trying I've hurt my wrist and my finger. Whenever I try and barre my finger ends up bending in all sorts of ways and won't keep straight or still. I can sometimes get the two strings to ring clearly but then when I try and fret the other strings in the chord I can't hold it.

Any tips please? Feel like I've hit a wall here :(
Use 1st and 2nd finger on E and A string.

Are you trying to barre two with your fingertip or first two knuckles? Or are you trying to barre the whole thing? I find it's much easier if I use the whooooole index finger. Like all 3 joints.

no shortcuts unfortunately. It really does come down to practice, more practice and then a bit more. It will start to feel natural after a week of endless repetition and eventually your fingers will move into position instinctively. It is a bit of a hard and frustrating road between now and then though.

one other suggestion for you though: why not try barre the whole 1st fret with your index finger to prevent the weird feeling of only the first 2 strings, at least that way you can straighten it right out instead of bending it.

no shortcuts unfortunately. It really does come down to practice, more practice and then a bit more. It will start to feel natural after a week of endless repetition and eventually your fingers will move into position instinctively. It is a bit of a hard and frustrating road between now and then though.

one other suggestion for you though: why not try barre the whole 1st fret with your index finger to prevent the weird feeling of only the first 2 strings, at least that way you can straighten it right out instead of bending it.

But then the chord wouldn't work?

Oh do you mean just do it as an exercise?

Are you trying to barre two with your fingertip or first two knuckles? Or are you trying to barre the whole thing? I find it's much easier if I use the whooooole index finger. Like all 3 joints.

How could I fit my finger just over the 2 strings if I use all of it?

Thanks to everyone for all the tips though, I guess 90% of it is practice.... Like most things, lol :)

How could I fit my finger just over the 2 strings if I use all of it?

Thanks to everyone for all the tips though, I guess 90% of it is practice.... Like most things, lol :)

You bar the all four strings with your index finger. Then use the middle and ring finger to complete the chord. This is a moveable chord shape so it is a really important one to learn!

Okay, here we go. The meatiest joint does the work of holding down the two critical strings as I'm barring all four strings.

1356381702.jpg

Then drop down the other two fingers and you're in business.

1356381709.jpg

I hope that helps!

Last edited:
Top Bottom