Custom or K brand

BIGDB

Reaction score
So I'm wondering what would be better I have a Willie wixom spot held and and I'm ordering a mahogony tenor and I'm wondering if It would be better to go to a store and buy like a kanilea or something cause I play a mahogany right now and I like how it sound but I haven't played a koa or anything that much so should I just get the wa wixom or go to the local store and just play a bunch and chose on of those

Thanks

Aloha BIGDB,

Where in SoCal do you live? L.A., Orange County, San Diego?

If a named brand mass production uke is important to you, then that's the way to go. But if you want an instrument made to your specs that will be more than likely a one-off, then go with the custom.

I personally prefer custom ukes. Why get a mass produced uke that everyone else has?

You can never go wrong by playing as many as you can get your hands on. You may be surprised how different a all koa sounds from maker to maker don't be afraid to try as many different make and models as you can. just my:2cents: Merry Christmas by the way

Aloha BIGDB,

Where in SoCal do you live? L.A., Orange County, San Diego?

If a named brand mass production uke is important to you, then that's the way to go. But if you want an instrument made to your specs that will be more than likely a one-off, then go with the custom.

I personally prefer custom ukes. Why get a mass produced uke that everyone else has?

I live in corona so I'm like 30 mins from island bazaar

And that's a good point about why have something that everyone does

Bruddah Perry's suggestion is spot on! Get your hands on as many ukes as possible. Island Bazaar has a good selection of K Brand ukes, as well as other low to mid range ukes. Another really good place to check out a great variety of ukes is @ McCabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica. They have a great selection of production ukes of every price range ... as well as high end production ukes like Taylor, Collings, the K Brands and custom ukes, too like Pepe Romero Jr. You can spend hours there without any pressure from the sales people.

There's something special about a uke that's been specially made for you. If you already have a production uke, get the custom, it can be so much more rewarding and its nice to have the connection to the builder. Just my 2 cents.

One point, that may or may not be important to you, and while others may disagree with me, I have sold at least ten ukes on eBay in the past three months (so I know first hand), and I have seen many customs (e.g recent Dasilva soprano at half of new custom price) sit unsold on UU Forum: the branded K models resell much more easily and for much closer to the asking price than a custom ukulele.

If you never plan to sell it, BIGDG, no issue. But, if you're like the rest of us, the one you never thought you'd sell will likely be in the Marketplace within 18 months. :rolleyes:

Just one factor of many to consider in which you choose.

I know right where you live. You should seriously consider a drive to McCabes Guitar Shop. You will really have a good time there. Just bring a couple quarters for the meters out front.

Try all the ukes you can off the rack and see if any one peeks your attention enough go buy it.. and in your price range or budget.. try before buy policy of mine...ha ha
customs are nice but costly....and can be great if you can afford them...you wll build a bond with the builder...my wixom that I let family and friends play
and they say it is one great sounding uke...probally in my top 3... but you never know how they will sound until the builder slaps the strings on...not
even the builder.. risky though..... but the more experienced and established builders may be more consistant on the sound quality and asthetics..
but you never can tell....some up and coming new builders are popping out some great sounding gems too...good luck

Last edited:
There's something special about a uke that's been specially made for you.

More important that you like the sound of the uke!! I have seen Mya Moes, Compass Rose, Da Silva, Black Bears for sale. I'm sure each one was specially made for the original buyer. One of the best advice I heard from a luthier was don't make it so unique that you can't sell it!!

At the same time, you see many production ukes for sale. There is no special formula and sound is subjective.

Personally, I have no patience and I really don't have any sentimental value to anything I own (my wife hates this!! LOL) so I like to email luthiers to see if there are any ukes that a buyer cancelled at the last minute. However, it rarely happens.

I would hold on to your Wixom spot with the specs you have decided upon. These are the appointments that will make this uniquely your instrument and distinct from anyone elses. I also strongly agree with those who mentioned the joy of sharing in the process with the builder and forming friendships in doing so. It is a special thing to own something that is truly hand-made, that you have invested thought and time into into customising the specs, and that has been invested with the heart and soul of the builder.

K brands etc are always available and being resold. You can walk down that road anytime.

Take the leap of faith with your custom order, you may be very glad you did.

Why get a mass produced uke that everyone else has?

A perfectly valid point, but the flipside to that argument is; maybe everyone else has [that mass produced Uke] because they're freaking awesome and on a par with a custom Uke in terms of quality of manufacture/playability/tone/looks/etc

A perfectly valid point, but the flipside to that argument is; maybe everyone else has [that mass produced Uke] because they're freaking awesome and on a par with a custom Uke in terms of quality of manufacture/playability/tone/looks/etc
I agree with you Niq. K brand and some other production ukuleles are simply wonderful instruments fullstop. Depends how seriously you're taking the idea of having a custom uke built I guess, and the motivation behind it. Some customs are obtainable for 1/2 or less than the cost of the K brands so in that case, definitely worth taking the plunge. If you're talking 1500-2000+ dollars then it's a considerably bigger deal. K brands have their rep for good reason and there is sure an argument for the tried and true approach, where you have a very good idea beforehand of what you're going to get tonally.

Morning Jon, is it still xmas day for you ?

<edit> just looked it up, you're 11 hours ahead aren't you.

<edit #2> at least you folks in Hawaii still have an hour & a half left of xmas day

Last edited:

I beg to differ about the quality and consistency of mass production higher end ukes ... including the K Brands. I'm fortunate that I'm able to try out many, many name brand ukes here locally, and even some customs that command high dollar amounts and great reviews.

I've been disappointed with seeing brand spanking new K Brands that are $1000+ that have sloppy workmanship such as excessive glue, poorly sanded bracing which leaves splinter-like appearance, finish blemishes, etc. Seems like these ukes get through quality control regularly. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to spend over $1000+ on a uke, I expect the workmanship to be superb. I'm just so anal like that. However, on a side note ... I must say that Collings ukes are outstanding in regards to workmanship. Every single Collings ukes I've gotten my hands on had ZERO blemishes, glue run out, etc. They are super clean and have set the bar amazingly high for excellence and consistency in workmanship.

I beg to differ about the quality and consistency of mass production higher end ukes ... including the K Brands. I'm fortunate that I'm able to try out many, many name brand ukes here locally, and even some customs that command high dollar amounts and great reviews.

I've been disappointed with seeing brand spanking new K Brands that are $1000+ that have sloppy workmanship such as excessive glue, poorly sanded bracing which leaves splinter-like appearance, finish blemishes, etc. Seems like these ukes get through quality control regularly. Maybe it's just me, but if I'm going to spend over $1000+ on a uke, I expect the workmanship to be superb. I'm just so anal like that. However, on a side note ... I must say that Collings ukes are outstanding in regards to workmanship. Every single Collings ukes I've gotten my hands on had ZERO blemishes, glue run out, etc. They are super clean and have set the bar amazingly high for excellence and consistency in workmanship.

I've had precisely the same experiences on K brands and Collings as brother Slack.

Top Bottom