Ubass saddle.Compensate?

SKBarbour

Reaction score
Can't quite figure out why, but it seems that some of the Kala Ubasses have a compensated saddle and some don't. Any ideas why? I will be looking towards making a bridge for the ubass I'm building and am not so sure what to do. Thanks for any input.

Have no idea. But Owen Holt told me that he uses 1/8" compensation on the treble side, 1/4" on the bass side. So I build my basses with a 1/8" saddle that is compensated the 1/8" for the treble and the saddle gives me enough room to get the 1/4" for the other side.

Why ask why? They're mass manufactured in China.
My personal theory is they continue to be a work in progress.
Kala is trying to balance the cost / benefit ratio.
Some bridges are compensated, some not.
Some are set at an angle, some not.
Some have truss rods, some non-adjustable truss rods, and some no truss rod.

If your intonation and action has to be perfect, wouldn't you need a bridge with adjustable length for each string?

After 44 years of playing fretted electric bass, coming to the ukulele has made me more relaxed about intonation.
In ensemble playing, like horseshoes, close is often good enough.
If you want a uke bass, relax and live some degree of imperfection is my motto.

Are you going fretless?
What strings will you use? The elastic factory pahoehoes that stretch to twice their length and half their diameter to get up to pitch?
You must replace those thick-as-a-pencil elastic strings, Road Toad or Aquila, when they get stretched or have uneven diameters to fix gross intonation problems.

I currently use Pyramid roundwounds on my fretted acoustic as an alternative to the poly strings.
So far they've been more stable overall and hold their pitch.

There's been discussion on and off on Talkbass forums about these issues.
You may get a better response from u-bass players than you would here.
Some of these guys are commissioning custom builds.

Here's a link to the U-Bass megathread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/kala-ubass-megathread-part-5-a-933305/index14.html#post13624473

Kala US service reps have been responsive to e-mail inquiries, and have in some cases supplied builders with factory parts.

In my experience, they're a class outfit, especially for u-bass owners.

Last edited:
play edibient

Thanks for the input folks. I suppose your correct that the intonation will have to be played with a bit. I have an idea just about figured for testing the intonation on this project. I guess I'll have to work on it. as far as the different strings go on the Ubass, how do the tops hold up under the tension of different strings? I don't know how much of an increase the different strings would be, but I would have to guess that there is an increase in tension.

Kala is slave to the compensation that comes with the Schaller system which is way out. Also, keeping the strings in tune is also another challenge variable. Pyramid strings are much more reliable.

I don't know how much of an increase the different strings would be, but I would have to guess that there is an increase in tension.

My spruce top is holding up fine.
Kalas are pretty rugged- braced, big fat bridge.

The tensions of the Pyramid roundwound strings are 8.5 to 6.5 kg, as shown on page 34 of their catalog here:

http://www.pyramid-saiten.de/catalogue/katalog_12_eng.pdf

There are many u-bass players who don't like Pyramid strings, to them they rob the instrument of it's characteristic sound. The string noise is also an issue.

I disagree. Since I play plugged in to record or to be heard in any group setting, I can get the tone I want from adjusting the eq.

Here's 30 seconds of me playing my Pyramids unplugged, plucking close to the bridge for maximum "twang."

Thanks Pete and Dave. Pete I love your work, and if I'm not mistaken you have a great design for a harp/uke that you sell plans for. I hope to try building one some day.
I'm guessing the intonation problems on the kala is the cause of the extra thick saddle. I plan on the thick saddle as well, to be on the safe side.
Dave, those strings do change the sound a bit. Since I have the Pahoehoe strings already, I will use them. I'm sure I'll tire of the constant tuning after a while and switch to the Pyramids. Nice knowing the options. My bracing, from what I can tell, is similar to the Kala so it should hold up as well.Thanks for the help from you all. When I get this thing done I'll post some pics and maybe a video if my playing doesn't stink too bad.

Kyle

Are there only two strings that can be used for the Ubass; the Pahoehoe and Pyramids? I've got an Acacia Ubass and intonation is pretty spot on. really a fun instrument to play but wish it had a little more volume unplugged.

I'm an elect. bass/guitar player also dave, 50t years and agree about the Ubass being more relaxed re intonation.

Are there only two strings that can be used for the Ubass; the Pahoehoe and Pyramids?

Kala sells Silver Rumblers on their web site, which are the next generation of the Aquila Thunderguts developed for the U-bass. Not stretchy like the factory strings, and more "punchy." Some folks try them and go back to the pahoeoes, but many of us prefer them. Worth a look.
For now, I've settled on pyramids on my acoustic and SRs on my solidbody u-bass.

On my acoustic, the pyramids are not as loud as the thunderguts I was using. The consensus is that if you're playing u-bass with anybody else you need a little amp like the battery Roland bass microcube.

What is the length on the Pyramid strings? And what is the bridge end termination? Are they made specifically for u-basses or are they like the Thomastik AcoustiCore strings? They may be the strings I helped develop when I was working for Gibson in 1989 which Pyramid made for us...

^^^^^

What is the length on the Pyramid strings? And what is the bridge end termination?

53 cm speaking length, ball end. These were custom made for the Stevens bass ukes made in Germany that go for upwards of a thousand euros.

They are silver-plated copper round wound over silk cores.

I think Kala just figured out they fit on the acoustic u-bass and started offering them.
They don't fit on the Kala solidbodies because the 3 cm bridge end unwrapped length is too short.

Attachments

• DSCF1985.jpg
    DSCF1985.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCF1984.jpg
    DSCF1984.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1983.jpg
    DSCF1983.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF1982.jpg
    DSCF1982.jpg