New uke day

pdxuke

Reaction score
Okay, so I'll post a full review when the strings settle and I can get a good strum test recorded, but here's some preliminary thoughts on this:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

GRETSCH G9100 SOPRANO

I was looking for a uke I could leave in my classroom that plays well, looks great and I would not have a heart attack if something happened to it. I'm also curious from time to time at what under $100 buys.

I liked the look of the new Gretsch heritage line. I particularly honor the fact that they wanted a true authentic look in a lower end uke-- particularly friction tuners instead of geared.

Geared tuners make me crazy on soprano ukes. I lament that public demand has made Ohana, maker of high quality yet low cost ukes, to go this route. Friction tuners are now the exception on Ohana soprano and concert sized ukes, instead of the rule. I guess business is business, but my sense of aesthetics is crushed by it :)

Anyway, the reviews of C9100 have been good. So I ordered one through Amazon prime--$99--just to see what it would be like without any shop set up. Strictly out of box from factory.

To start at the beginning, I was very impressed at the quality of the gig bag. Really nice--you'd pay $20 for the bag alone.

Next, the uke itself is very attractive. The black tuning pegs are a nice touch, leading me to conclude that the looks of my Ohana SK38 would be perfect if I added some black tuners to the already perfect look of the body.

The strings on the Gretsch are Aquila--a nice touch on a $100 uke. So between the bag and strings you have a $30 or so value right there.

The uke sounds great! Especially for a laminate. Doesn't have the punch and warmth of an all wooden instrument but it is a very pleasant tone. Intonation seems good and action is just right.

The one out of the box negative is the fret edges are sharp. Not unexpected from the factory. I guess I'll be trying my hand at some fret filing to see if I can do it!

Conclusion: I would have no trouble recommending this uke to someone starting with a budget of $100. Add a Snark tuner and an extra set of strings or a chord book, and you have a great beginning kit of bag, uke, and tuner for under $125. That's a good value.

For my own purposes it fits the bill. It will be right at home in my classroom along with the Makala Dolphins.

Bottom line: need a good quality uke for under $50? Dolphin.
Need a good quality laminate with a vintage look under $100? Gretsch G9100!

Thanks for info. A good heads up for beginners looking to stay in that price range.

Congratulations! That is one Very nice -- and traditional -- looking ukulele. I'm glad you found something that seems to meet your needs. I'm looking forward to a more detailed review.

Top Bottom