Do I need a better condensor mic

garyg

Reaction score
I bought a Zoom H4n for general home and field recording but wondered if I should get a better condenser mic set up for home recording. This is for youtube videos but some songs I convert to MP3 for distribution. I have computer programs to do soundboard work although I don't really use them now but I might in the future. Any suggestions if I do buy another mic, and thoughts on whether I should? TIA, g2

i just bought a behringer q100usb mixer and pair of behringer studio monitor, a autotechnica condenser mic .. i am completely new to this gadgets, still trying to learn plus using audacity software on a laptop

The Zoom H series are very good for what they are. I had a Zoom H2 until the batteries leaked and ruined it and, while it's by no means studio quality, it was certainly adequate for most anything I was likely to need.

I believe Ken Middleton records most or all of his videos using a Zoom H4.

I know that the Zoom H2 was much better for close mic'ing acoustic instruments than either a Shure 58 or 57 (neither of which is designed for that purpose but they were what I had on hand to compare with when my Zoom was working).

John

Pick up one of these (heck, they're inexpensive, get two; one for the uke and one for your voice):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003VP9VI8

Here's a review from a kinda well respected industry rag:
http://recordinghacks.com/reviews/tapeop/mca-sp1/

More tech if you want more:
http://recordinghacks.com/microphones/MCA/SP1

Later, pick up a Mackie 402-VLZ3 (used should be fine) the mic preamps are better than the Zoom. If you want American made, buy an older Mackie 1202 used. Take a line out from the Mackie, to the line in on the Zoom, and the Zoom becomes a basic digital recorder.

Now that you've done all that make sure you use the least destructive conversion method possible, otherwise it's all for nought.

Oh, one more thing. Get a free subscription to TapeOp magazine and a copy of the first TapeOp book; entertaining, informative, and invaluable reading for anyone interested in recording any kind of music on just about any recording medium (except, perhaps, wire).

Best of luck, hope this helps.

Last edited:
WHat kind of audio quality do you want and how much are you prepared to spend to get it?

I use an Audix VX5 Condensor microphone for ukulele and most vocals. I then go through a Behringer mixer for preamps and phantom power, through a behringer interface/converter(newer mixers have the interface built in) and into a minimac running Garageband.

Here's one of my recordings where I reviewed the Audix VX5

The VX5 is a sweet hypercardoid condensor microphone and its quite directional. I generally record one sound source at a time. Its not that cheap. You can get cheap omni directional large condensor microphones which will record everything at once including EVERY background noise that it can. These cheap LDC (large diameter condensor) microphones can be harsh.

Anthony

Top Bottom