Pimp My Ohana

pdxuke

Reaction score
attachment.php

Changed out the too white tuners on my beloved Ohana SK38. Looks much more vintage and I like the look. I seem to recall that Ken said he argued for black tuners on the original design but was over ruled.

That looks great. I keep meaning to artificially age the tuners on mine. I know that's some lame road-worn bs, but I bet it'll look cool. :)

If Ken wanted black tuners, Ken was right.

That looks great!

attachment.php

Changed out the too white tuners on my beloved Ohana SK38. Looks much more vintage and I like the look. I seem to recall that Ken said he argued for black tuners on the original design but was over ruled.

No, I wasn't over-ruled. What I wanted was aged, off-white tuners to give it that antique look. The original Martin (c.1928) that we based this uke on had its original white tuners. They were now very yellowed. The problem was that we couldn't get aged-looking tuners and it would have been too expensive to have them made. I decided on the regular white Gotohs.

But I have to agree, the black ones do look great.

No, I wasn't over-ruled. What I wanted was aged, off-white tuners to give it that antique look. The original Martin (c.1928) that we based this uke on had its original white tuners. They were now very yellowed. The problem was that we couldn't get aged-looking tuners and it would have been too expensive to have them made. I decided on the regular white Gotohs.

But I have to agree, the black ones do look great.

Sorry, Ken--I remembered it wrong! I looked and couldn't find old looking pegs (as you pointed out--nobody makes the yelowy ones!) and so tried the black ones. I'm pleased with the result on this most awesome of ukes!

At 71 years, I am starting to remember a lot of things wrong! I like black tuning buttons much of the time. Love the small ones on my Pono concert

Top Bottom