FS: Concert 5 String banjo Neck Ukulele by Black Bear

BlackBearUkes

Reaction score
Here is a new Concert scale 5 string banjo neck ukulele. In the past on the UU talk
section, there has been some discussion about playing a uke in the claw-hammer banjo
style. Being a claw-hammer banjo player myself, I thought it would be fun to make a
hybrid uke to fill this void. There was a vintage Santo 5 string banjo neck uke
listed in a popular book about Hawaii and a photo of this uke was also posted on the
UU talk thread. I believe the Santo uke was a soprano size, but I decided to build
in the concert scale to make it a bit easier to play and have a slightly bigger
voice. Of special interest to those who play banjo, I have scooped out the area
under the 5th string where the fingerboard joins the body to give easier access for
the thumb when playing. It works well and the player will get better contact for
playing the drone string.

This is a new uke is made of all Koa for the body. This Koa is well seasoned, over
30 years. The neck is Honduran mahogany with a graphite truss rod. The top binding
is dark rosewood with a w/b/w purfling. There are 12 frets to the body, 15 total.
Ebony fingerboard and rosewood bridge. White MOP dots with white side dots. MOP logo
inlaid into ebony. Bone nut, bridge saddle and 5th string nut. Medium size frets for
easy playing and accurate intonation. Grover brand friction tuners with uke friendly
smaller cream colored knobs. Worth BM brand strings. I used a wound uke string for
the forth string to give this uke better clarity and a more banjo feel. The width at
the nut is 1 1/4" with the string spacing at the bridge the same as a standard 5
string bridge so the player will be familiar with this string spacing. High gloss
nitro-lacquer finish with a satin smooth touch. Low easy playing action and a very
full rich mellow Koa sound. I have to admit it was a little different playing in a
banjo style and hearing a uke. It takes a bit of getting used to. Your complete
satisfaction is guaranteed. No case but I will double box for safe shipping. Made in
the USA. $35 shipping in the USA lower 48 states. Payment by money order, personal
check or bank draft only, no Paypal. Email me if you need more information. Thanks
for looking.

Was $1250 - Now $950, Payment plan available.

Attachments

• 5-String Uke 2012-12-26a.jpg
    5-String Uke 2012-12-26a.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 172
  • 5-String Uke 2012-12-26b.jpg
    5-String Uke 2012-12-26b.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 5-String Uke 2012-12-26c.jpg
    5-String Uke 2012-12-26c.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 5-String Uke 2012-12-26d.jpg
    5-String Uke 2012-12-26d.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 5-String Uke 2012-12-26e.jpg
    5-String Uke 2012-12-26e.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Sweet. Esp. like the cutout under the drone at the end of the fretboard. Don't have need for an instrument like this, but if I did...

Nice work.

N

This is so cool. I'm glad to see your idea come into fruition. I would definitely buy it if I had that kind of money right now. You might want to list it on the Banjo Hangout as well.

You can tune it any number of ways. I have been using standard banjo tuning with the first string in high A. Also I like the G modal tuning. With the nylon strings, the clawhammer style takes a bit a getting used to, not as much volume as a banjo. The three finger style also works very well.

Price reduced for a rare banjo neck uke. $950 plus shipping, Payment plan available if you want to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it out.

this makes me think about that beauty of a banjolele you have in your gallery.

Top Bottom