Getting ready for next year

Timbuck

Reaction score
Now that Xmas is behind me....I've just finished refurbishing the thickness sander, greased all the slides and bearings and fitted a new sanding belt:)...And next i'll start on the bandsaw and then the spindle sander and any other machinary that needs adjustment...then I'll start making a fresh supply of kerfed linings and neck and heel blocks etc: for next year....Oh! yes I forgot, the motor on my small lathe is acting up making sparks and running rough..so i'll sort that as well.

I've overhauled the thickness sander and installed new knives and tuned up the jointer. I have a radial arm saw that I use for crosscuts only that needs tweaking which is up next.

When you guys are done, come on over and help me rebuild my entire shop! Stairway to the mezzanine, shelving up for all long term storage, put the potter's wheel sander up on legs and make a dust hood for it, redo most of the other dust collection stuff, build 40 feet worth of new benches, get all the router's sorted out and repaired, put doors on the router bit cabinet, etc., etc.!

When you guys are done, come on over and help me rebuild my entire shop! Stairway to the mezzanine, shelving up for all long term storage, put the potter's wheel sander up on legs and make a dust hood for it, redo most of the other dust collection stuff, build 40 feet worth of new benches, get all the router's sorted out and repaired, put doors on the router bit cabinet, etc., etc.!

Good luck Rick. Looks like you've got a lot going on there.

Started on the Bandsaw..It's in a bad condition sawdust gets every where..seized bearings split drive belt and the electrics are dodgy....I cleaned out the stop/start switch (that wasn't too bad)...and then the safety micro switches on the guard doors..Here's a couple of before and after pics of the sawdust in these micro switches (a potential fire hazard) :( also a pic of one of the seized bearings.
Before cleaning
PICT0003-25.jpg

Afterwards
PICT0005-10.jpg

Seized Spool Bearing
PICT0009-12.jpg

I think I'll spend a few hours sharpening my plane irons...

This thread caused me to go out and grab new cooling guide blocks for my band saw... When I was putting them in I found a seized lower thrust bearing and a sear blown out the back of the upper one.
Winter in Chicago is a good time to rip this stuff apart, next is squaring up my thickness sander.

I was hauling my drum sander to the repair shop due to either a bad bearing or a bent shaft. As I rounded a corner, the strap came loose and the sander rolled right off the trailer and through the intersection. A bit more of a repair than I had originally anticipated. :)

Top Bottom