Tenor ukulele advice

bamboofrog

Reaction score
Hi I am about to splash out on my first Ukulele, apologies for being another "which ukulele" thread.

I was going to buy a makala dolphin to learn the basics on but .... I think I would prefer a Tenor I have a budget of £100ish (give or take a bit for the right uke). I have been looking at the Lanikai LU21T, Kala KA-T, Ohana TK10 or Islander MT-4 (top of my budget, without my wife killing me).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would normally just go and test as many as possible but I am a bit stuck for local shops that sell Ukes.

From that list, I'd go with the Islander, then the Ohana, then the Kala, and last.......
Hopefully, you can get it from someone who will set it up properly. Best strings for each another discussion.

From that list, I'd go with the Islander, then the Ohana, then the Kala, and last.......
Hopefully, you can get it from someone who will set it up properly. Best strings for each another discussion.

This is the order I would put it in as well and I have never played an islander but the reviews are pretty sweet.

:agree:

Wow, three in a row saying the same thing. That doesn't happen very often. :D

Make it four in a row...well...almost. I'd echo the top two, the bottom two I think you could put in either order without it making much difference.

For any of them I'd recommend purchasing from someone who will do a proper setup, and that goes double for the bottom two...

John

Okay 5 in a row. Like John, the top two and would drop the Lanikai from the list. Make sure you buy from one who sets them up before shipping and not one who says they are okay beecause the maker already set them up.

Hi Frog, and welcome to UU.

If you have transport, you're probably not too far from http://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/

Maybe pay them a visit, they'll do a setup if you ask them, although I'm not entirely convinced that they perform what I consider a "setup". I could be wrong though :)

I wouldn't choose by name either in that budget priced ukes....I believe in the try before you buy method of approach....as inconsistancy in sound in every same model....each uke has a
voice of their own like you and me....listen good when played and choose wisely...do not get caught up and excited by the bling when trying...good luck...

Thanks for your replies. I went to my local music shop today who had a reasonable amount of beginner ukes (couldn't make it all the way to Bournemouth for Southern ukulele shop) an strummed a few. I may have made a hasty decision dismissing sopranos from my list. I thought that having some experience with a guitar, a Tenor Uke might be a good transitional instrument, however I really enjoyed the feel and sound of the soprano.

So the hunt goes on. The Makala Dolphin's although fine felt very cheap (I know it's only £30 but I do like my instruments to be well finished, the way I see it the nicer the instrument the more you'll want to pick it up and practice)

I tried a Lanikai LU21 soprano, again ok but poor finish and weak sound, Kala Ka FMS - very nice. And surprisingly a Stagg (not a name I would associate with quality) USX-ZEB sounded very open and lively.

So I am now at a loss my blinkered Tenor vision has been cleared and the ukulele world is my oyster, whelk or other mollusk of choice.

I'm going to try and get to the Sourthern Uke store this weekend to play a few more. Any recommendations to focus my search are greatly appreciated. Trying to keep it sub £120 but it's going to be a birthday present so there maybe room for manoeuvre :D

An excellent place to visit. Try the Islander ukes. You could also visit Duke of Uke in London if more convenient. They have Bruko ukes, very well made German ukes. Just another suggestion.
Ben

Top Bottom