Will a high-end Uke help me play and/or sound better? How do I know when to upgrade?

rreffner

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all. What should one expect from upgrading to a custom Uke ($2,000) - realistic expectations of course.

The upgrade would be from a factory set-up Uke in the $300-500 range.

Mahalo everyone.

Upgrade when you feel you are ready. Will it sound better? It should if only because it is better made, better matereals, and better set up. will it make you play better? Some will say yes in that a better uke would make you want top practise/play better. But INMHO that is up to you and how much practice /playing you put in, not the Uke itself.

maybe go up to the 1k range, I think at that point it's the law of diminishing returns. you can get some mighty fine ukes at the 1k price point.

If by "factory setup in the $300-$500" range you mean a Kala, Lanikai, etc. not set up by a retailer who specializes in ukes then you could see significant improvement in playablility (and thus progress as a player) just by getting a good setup on your present uke.

Improvement as a player mostly comes with playability and intonation of the uke rather than from the "bling factor" of a custom or a "k-brand" - if the action and intonation are both very good it really doesn't much matter what logo is on the headstock or how much the uke cost. The more expensive uke may be louder with better tone and sustain, but action and intonation are the really important factors for player improvement. Sure...there is typically a correlation in that the more you spend the more the action and intonation are likely to be good...but it's not a 1:1 kind of thing and, as someone mentioned, you run into that law of diminishing returns.

Frankly, if you are not progressing on a $300 uke that is set up properly with a decently low action and has the right strings chosen for decent intonation all the way up the neck then you are unlikely to progress any faster on a $2k custom. On the other hand, if your $300 uke is a typical example of a Kala or Lanikai straight from the factory you are likely to progress much faster on a better uke, be it the one you have after it being set up properly or a $2k custom.

What should one expect from upgrading to a custom Uke ($2,000) - realistic expectations of course.

The upgrade would be from a factory set-up Uke in the $300-500 range.

What do you expect?

If you are getting a custom - well, it is custom....so you should be talking with the luthier and letting them know your expectations and he/she can let you know if they are realistic or not.

For me I wanted a specific tone. I picked the woods and the Luthier based on that. I read about,looked at,an listened to a lot of ukuleles. Mine won't have any bling. I don't have any MOP etcetera.

You should upgrade whenever you want. It is your ukulele. I did. I don't care what anyone else thinks. It was for me. Did I play better when I got it? No. But I did sound a bit better because it is a nicer ukulele. I now play better because I practice. Hopefully through time I will have better tone qualities. More practice.

Get what YOU want. Not what WE want you to get.

If upgrading to better ukes improved my playing, by now I would be the Jedhi Master of Ukuleles.

What upgrading did was improve my level of joy. It's fun to play well made ukes.

Take a $1000. Buy a Kamaka, or a Martin, or a vintage Martin, or a Collings, etc. Go to a big shop and play them all. Enjoy. Then buy the uke that makes you happy.

My advice ;-)

If by "factory setup in the $300-$500" range you mean a Kala, Lanikai, etc. not set up by a retailer who specializes in ukes then you could see significant improvement in playablility (and thus progress as a player) just by getting a good setup on your present uke.

Improvement as a player mostly comes with playability and intonation of the uke rather than from the "bling factor" of a custom or a "k-brand" - if the action and intonation are both very good it really doesn't much matter what logo is on the headstock or how much the uke cost. The more expensive uke may be louder with better tone and sustain, but action and intonation are the really important factors for player improvement. Sure...there is typically a correlation in that the more you spend the more the action and intonation are likely to be good...but it's not a 1:1 kind of thing and, as someone mentioned, you run into that law of diminishing returns.

Frankly, if you are not progressing on a $300 uke that is set up properly with a decently low action and has the right strings chosen for decent intonation all the way up the neck then you are unlikely to progress any faster on a $2k custom. On the other hand, if your $300 uke is a typical example of a Kala or Lanikai straight from the factory you are likely to progress much faster on a better uke, be it the one you have after it being set up properly or a $2k custom.

:agree:

Of course, there are other reasons to by a really nice uke, but you asked about improving your playing. If that's your only concern, then get your uke set up by a professional and it should be all you need to progress.
But if you want a pricey uke and can afford it, go for it. Just don't expect it to suddenly turn you into Jake Shimabukuro.

Buy what you want.

Practice is what makes you a better player, not the uke.

Don't chase sound. Just practice.

This is why when Costco is selling crappy ukes or guitars they always have a really good musician demonstrating them.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I play a white label Kamaka tenor that has never been set up. I bought it new decades ago in Ala Monana. Maybe I should take it to the local luthier.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I play a white label Kamaka tenor that has never been set up. I bought it new decades ago in Ala Monana. Maybe I should take it to the local luthier.

All good advice so far, and I would take that Kamaka to a luthier, just to get a professional opinion (I can't imagine there's much wrong with it in terms of set-up, but who knows.)

In my case, I started with budget ukes, worked my way up the ladder to K brands/customs, and have since scaled back. What I eventually found is a small stable of ukes that fit my ear and my abilities as a player. I don't feel bad that I've sold nicer ukes than I currently own, because the ukes I own are the right ukes for me.

I wouldn't feel bad about chasing a custom or selling that custom if it turns out not to suit you; the hunt is part of the fun.

Also, be careful of the "I'm not good enough to deserve a good uke" meme.

I don't care if you can only play two chords: if you can afford the uke and it will make you want to play your uke, then you will improve as a player. There is joy in having well crafted instruments, no matter what the level of your playing.

Aloha,
A high end uke or better uke does not make you instantly a better player...however what if does is makes you a better player through motivation and practice... you see if you play a bad uke,
with bad intonation you will never know how it should really sound like at a baseline in your hands until you get a properly set up uke that sounds nice...and then the process begins, You figure out things because the uke sounds good and has proprer intonation and good playability.. you are more creative, thus the right learning process begins and you have the right tool for inspiration...
Good Luck and Happy Strummings..:) Only time and practice you will improve greatly unless you are musically gifted.. play more ukes and in time you will figure more things out.. I call them aha
moments....My three most favorite learning words to anything....Practice, Patience and Perserverence....
To answer you question, all you need is a properly tuned good sounding uke that inspires you to play...hell I got a 24.95 rogue soprano and at first it did not sound good or play nice...I did a set up and it became my favorite uke to play to this day...many years later...face it a bad sounding uke makes you lose intrest and give up and failure...

Last edited:
:agree:

Of course, there are other reasons to by a really nice uke, but you asked about improving your playing. If that's your only concern, then get your uke set up by a professional and it should be all you need to progress.
But if you want a pricey uke and can afford it, go for it. Just don't expect it to suddenly turn you into Jake Shimabukuro.

Unless of course, you have $8k to drop on a Jake signature Kamaka......... :)

Last edited:
Unless of course, you have $8k to drop on a Jake signature Kamaka......... :)

A few years back when they did those I didn't get picked in the lottery they had for who could have the privilege of buying one. Now,I would rather get a Moore Bettah,Devine,or Compass Rose.

You should upgrade whenever you want. It is your ukulele. I did. I don't care what anyone else thinks. It was for me. Did I play better when I got it? No. But I did sound a bit better because it is a nicer ukulele. I now play better because I practice. Hopefully through time I will have better tone qualities. More practice.

Get what YOU want. Not what WE want you to get.

Amen!!! I agree 100%!!! Get what you like and can afford.

All good advice.

No uke, no matter the price, will make you a better player. But - I am with some others on here. I despise the "if you are a beginner you somehow don't deserve a good uke" nonsense. If you can afford it, buy what you like.

But with a high end uke you get a better chance of good setup, better tone, sustain, volume, playability. And yes, I also agree that a high end uke will likely make you want to play more, and that is no bad thing.

When I first moved from a far eastern factory uke of decent quality (a Mainland) to a K brand (entry level Kanile'a) I personally found the difference night and day, both in tone and playability.

That isn't to say there is anything wrong with Mainland - I love it, it's a great instrument, but there IS a difference when you step up despite what some (who seem to object to high end generally) will tell you.

I saw on a forum the other day some guy saying, repeatedly, that there was zero point anyone spending more than $150 on a uke. Naturally I think he is wrong!

Top Bottom