USE EADG Tuning

HAK2235

Reaction score
I am told if I try doing this, I should get thicker strings for my Uke. Is this true, or can it even be done?

I am asking this because I thought it would be possible for me to play the guitar songs I know that uses EADG Strings and use the same fret locations :)

That'll only give you the bottom 4 strings though, which will severely limit what you can play. And you'll probably end up with a Uke that's hinged in the middle. Just learn to play it on a standard Uke, or tune it low G.

Well the songs I like playing on the guitar uses 2 finger chords sometimes 3 which happen to only use the EADG.

Brainless punk/grunge music ! :drool:

A baritone uke is tuned the same as the top four strings of a guitar, DGBE. I've played guitar for fifty years but have switched to the baritone uke.
A standard uke with a low G string, tuned GCEA gives you a guitar tuning as if the guitar was capoed at the fifth fret.

Jude

Brainless punk/grunge music ! :drool:

Based on your desire to duplicate the four bass strings of a guitar, and on the above statement, I would guess that you are looking to play simple power chords as you are probably accustomed to doing on electric guitar. Frankly, while you can probably find some strings to let you tune a uke that way, the result is unlikely to be that pleasing. Have you heard much "brainless punk/grunge music" played on an acoustic nylon-strung classical guitar? Probably not, because it doesn't have the sustain you need for that sort of thing and nylon strings and piezo pickups sound pretty poor when overdriven unless you do a lot of EQ tweaking after the distortion.

Add in the fact that the uke is going to be an octave higher than a guitar and those chunky guitar power chords will sound kind of silly on it. :)

John

EADG tuning sounds bass ackwards.

You might try the Pyramid bass strings
If they don't pull your ukulele apart.

And just to make sure you know I'm just joking, no power chords on a Bass do not work for the E and A string (at least not on my basses), so I'm pretty sure they won't work on a U-Bass.

And just to make sure you know I'm just joking, no power chords on a Bass do not work for the E and A string (at least not on my basses), so I'm pretty sure they won't work on a U-Bass.

Heh, heh. As a UBASS owner I can confirm that they aren't very pretty... :)

Based on your desire to duplicate the four bass strings of a guitar, and on the above statement, I would guess that you are looking to play simple power chords as you are probably accustomed to doing on electric guitar. Frankly, while you can probably find some strings to let you tune a uke that way, the result is unlikely to be that pleasing. Have you heard much "brainless punk/grunge music" played on an acoustic nylon-strung classical guitar? Probably not, because it doesn't have the sustain you need for that sort of thing and nylon strings and piezo pickups sound pretty poor when overdriven unless you do a lot of EQ tweaking after the distortion.

Add in the fact that the uke is going to be an octave higher than a guitar and those chunky guitar power chords will sound kind of silly on it. :)

John

Haha yeah, I personally use just a little amount of volume of the actual distortion effect its more like using amp gain but alot better. When my UKE Arrives I'll find out. I'll attempt everything first with real UKE Tuning of course. :)

I'm assuming your uke will be low G then if you want to do power chords? I don't see how high G would end up sounding anything near something like power chords on a guitar.

I am told if I try doing this, I should get thicker strings for my Uke. Is this true, or can it even be done?

I am asking this because I thought it would be possible for me to play the guitar songs I know that uses EADG Strings and use the same fret locations :)

What you are describing is a "piccolo bass ukulele."

Kamoa makes one.
It uses custom flatwound strings.

:iwant:

It's a baritone sized uke tuned to the bottom four strings of a guitar, or one octave above a u-bass or conventional bass guitar.
Here's a link with pictures and a video demo.

E3E BASS
MSRP: 499.00

NEW for 2012! Kamoa™ Enjoy a full BASS tone and true BASS experience with our INCREDIBLE scaled E3E™ Acoustic Electric BASS. Tuned to standard BASS tuning (EADG), featuring all solid wood construction premium spruce soundboard, maple back sides and neck with a radius fretboard. The tone of the Kamoa™ E3E™ BASS is unmatched at the price and the size fits in any overhead compartment making it the perfect choice for musicians on the go.
Order your very own today!
http://kamoaukulelecompany.com/ukuleles.php?id=341

Well I just translated the Chords of a Song I wanted to UKE and now I got to figure out the SOLO.

One thing I have caught. The solo of this guitar tab uses single finger notes found on the E,A, & G String , Would it match UKE's E,A, & G?

What do I do to match the single notes that are on the D String of this solo? :)

Ah great I just been looking at a guitar scale and I just need to carefully go over the tab and see what fret note is being showed on the D and then find it on the C String Scale.

EDITED

ah ha ! I got it everything on a D can be found on C but down 2 frets.

thanks anyway guys !

Last edited:
Top Bottom