A beginners perspective

Tailgate

Reaction score
It took me 3 weekends with a little time during the week, but I finally learned what I think is a fairly complicated song… Something by the Beatles, instrumental version, compliments of a tutorial in 4 parts from the Dominator.. big, big thank you for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPO6ivwykqc

Rewind to early August.. after a 40 year lull from playing guitar, I thought I’d drop by the local music store and browse their acoustic guitars. What the heck, older now.. probably more patience.. it might work. I don’t play golf, so what am I going to do on the weekends anyway.

That evening I come home and my wife takes one look and says ‘What the f#&k is that?’. It was a concert Ibanez. The store only had 2 ukuleles in stock and I had brought one home.

Since then,
1. I found Ukulele Underground and UU101, Uke Minutes, etc
2. The forum.. thank all of you!!
3. First callous
4. UAS
5. HMS, dammit!
6. KoAloha, Collings, Kala, Pono, Fluke and a Kanilea on the way
7. The Daily Ukulele 1 & 2
8. String acquisition syndrome
9. Living Water and Southcoast strings
10. And just a lot of strumming until I buckled down to learn this one song note for note

Having fun and even though the Something tutorial at first glance was frightening, I slowed down, listened to Dom very carefully and hit a lot of bad notes. Being patient and persistent, all of the sudden I’m playing the damn song and it sounds great..at least to me! By hanging in there and learning this one song, note for note, I find that I’m playing other stuff more easily. Very cool.

Practice and persistence does pay off and slowing down is the key!

Blue Yeti microphone is on the way.. hope to post some videos soonest possible.

My wife stopped calling it ‘my little ge-tar’ and has actually been very complementary of my playing.

Cheers to the great UU community!

Bob

How about that?! Congratulations on applying yourself to Dominator's tutorial - and doing it. I've tinkered with it and put it back in the drawer a few times myself. Your description of the time-line after being bitten should be familiar to many here. It sure is to me.

That's awesome Bob! Post your video so we can be the judge!! J/K any progress is good progress!

Sweet! Dom is awesome.

Patient and Persistent - that's the key!

Heh, heh. We may have to coin a knew acronym ROUAS - Rapid Onset Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome!

At least you're getting good ones!

John

I could relate to so much of your list. Great stuff and nice story.

Heh, heh. We may have to coin a knew acronym ROUAS - Rapid Onset Ukulele Aquisition Syndrome!

John

HA! you are so right..

forgot to mention

11. Maya Moe build scheduled in April

ROAUS indeed..

I had a similar experience with my wife and my playing. I noodled around with a guitar off and on for abot 6 or 7 years. Near could get it right, had a lot of trouble, especially with the bar chords and stretches. I discovered the uke this year and bought one....then another....then another.....and have a Koalana soprano on the way! :)

Well, my guitar playing used to drive my wife nuts. She'd complain about the volume, the reptition of the exercises as i struggled with picking and strumming....but in the last month or so she has been very complimentary on my uke skills, and actually enjoys hearing me practice. She even recognizes many of the songs i play......now my singing, that's a different story! LOL

Enjoy!

John

John
That's a great acronym, we've all been there!

Top Bottom