Percussion on Ukulele how to do it?

hippowong

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohkbeQn0ZC8

Hi,

I want to understand how to use do the percussion drum on my ukulele. In this video around 2:00 the player begins to beat his ukulele like a drum and strum between. He is going to fast for me to understand what he is doing. Can anyone point me to tutorial about how to beat and strum my ukulele like that? I think it's quite fascinating.

Thanks!

My guess would be to google flamenco style guitar and apply those techniques to the uke....that seems to be what he is doing. I imagine most of the rhthyms and patterns are really based on trail and error, and lots of practice.

I do this with my guitar all the time. The speed and precision come with practice and muscle memory, there is no magic to it.. the more comfortable you get with your strumming and being creative there the more you will find time to do other things with your hand. start off bt tapping your finger in the guitar every measure to keep a beat.. then try to work it in twice a measure.. etc etc.. after a while it becomes second nature..

So much of instrument playing is muscle memory, you have to train .

Mute your strings, pretend your uke is a drum and up and down strokes are smacks on the drum. Learn flamenco techniques and how to incorporate them. Watch a lot of Aldrine videos

Yes he is using flamenco style strumming and then open hand slaps for percussion.
It's a matter of just continuing to play your uke getting more comfortable with it
and then working on developing more difficult patterns. It's that old saying practice
makes perfect. i learn new strums by just continuing to play and trying new things.
something works and then you increase the speed step by step.

Thanks guys! I found some videos of flamenco rumba that was rather helpful!

Cheers!

Yes he is using flamenco style strumming and then open hand slaps for percussion.
It's a matter of just continuing to play your uke getting more comfortable with it
and then working on developing more difficult patterns. It's that old saying practice
makes perfect. i learn new strums by just continuing to play and trying new things.
something works and then you increase the speed step by step.

Top Bottom