So I got my first ukulele on Christmas, and I have a problem... Please help?

Adwhym

Reaction score
My ukulele is fine and everything, except when I try using the first fret on my G and A strings, it sounds the same as thought they were played openly. I doubt this is how it's supposed act, so can someone please help me fix this, I really would hate starting this instrument wrong. Thanks in advance.

I don't fully understand your problem but did you corectly tune the uke when you got it out of the box?

That's very odd. Often on inexpensive ukes the strings pull quite sharp at the first fret because the nut is too high (i.e. when you fret the G string at the first fret instead of getting a G# you get something between a G# and an A). However, for there to be no difference between open and fretted at the first fret that would mean that the fret is very high or the nut is cut very low on those two strings, so they are effectively fretted all the time.

When you are not fretting the strings you should be able to slip a credit card between the string and the first fret fairly easily.

BTW, welcome to UU and to the crazy world of the "little guitar." :)

More information would also help - what uke and whether you are using an electronic tuner, etc.

John

Welcome, but please don't cross post in multiple boards. Did you tune your uke using a tuner?

It may just be the new strings on your uke still needing time to settle and going flat. Just keep playing and keep retuning for the first week or so.

for there to be no difference between open and fretted at the first fret that would mean that the fret is very high or the nut is cut very low on those two strings, so they are effectively fretted all the time.

John

Thank you John, is there any way that I can stop the strings from being fretted all the time?

You must be confused....that is no way that can happen...when you fret you are shorting the scale..if the first fret was high...it should affect the C string first too because it is the thickest string..unless the nut is cut different depths....but even with that it makes no sense....

Last edited:
You must be confused....that is no way that can happen...when you fret you are shorting the scale..if the first fret was high...it should affect the C string first too because it is the thickest string..

Strange as it is, I am not confused, and the C string is not affected. Maybe it's the nut or the pegs that are doing this, rather than the fret being too high?

Welcome to UU, we will help you work this out. Stan is right, I think there is confusion on the terms. The way we use the terms
Fretting = pressing down on a string with a finger tip between the metal frets

Are you pressing on the metal frets or between the metal frets. You should be pressing between the metal.

What do you mean when you say "stop the strings from being fretted all the time"?

If you describe the problems a bit more, we will help you sort it all out.....we have all been new and we want to help.

Welcome to UU, we will help you work this out. Stan is right, I think there is confusion on the terms. The way we use the terms
Fretting = pressing down on a string with a finger tip between the metal frets

Are you pressing on the metal frets or between the metal frets. You should be pressing between the metal.

What do you mean when you say "stop the strings from being fretted all the time"?

If you describe the problems a bit more, we will help you sort it all out.....we have all been new and we want to help.

Sorry for the confusion, and for the record i know what fretting is because I have been playing guitar for over 3 years. Now, as for the problem... My ukulele refuses to change note whenever I press down on the first fret on my G string and A string (4th and 1st), while that problem does not happen for my C and E. What I mean by that, is that when I play an open chord on either of those strings, it makes the same note as if I played that string on the first fret. I don't know if this is much clearer, there is not really another way of explaining this, and I know it's a very peculiar problem, that is why I'm trying to find help over here on forums. Thanks in advance.

Strange as it is, I am not confused, and the C string is not affected. Maybe it's the nut or the pegs that are doing this, rather than the fret being too high?

Can you upload a youtube vid of the problem so we can fully understand what's happening ?

Assuming you have an electric tuner try this and tell us what happens. Play the g string open and be sure it is tuned to g. Now play g string first fret and check with the tuner to see if there is any change in the pitch. Play g string second fret and see if it is playing g sharp or a.

Also, see if the string is resting on the first fret when not played.

Here is what I posted on the other thread.

I don't know what kind of uke you have, but it sounds like the nut will need to be replaced. The only way the note can sound the same at the first fret and open is if the string is sitting too low in the nut and the string is actually resting on the first fret in the open position. You need to make sure that there is a space under the string and the first fret when it is in the open position. Check it out and report back.

In addition, if two strings play fine, then the nut slot is too deep for the G and A strings and the strings are resting on the first fret. You need a new nut. Take it to a luthier and have it done right.

Here is what I posted on the other thread.

I don't know what kind of uke you have, but it sounds like the nut will need to be replaced. The only way the note can sound the same at the first fret and open is if the string is sitting too low in the nut and the string is actually resting on the first fret in the open position. You need to make sure that there is a space under the string and the first fret when it is in the open position. Check it out and report back.

In addition, if two strings play fine, then the nut slot is too deep for the G and A strings and the strings are resting on the first fret. You need a new nut. Take it to a luthier and have it done right.

If the nut slot was too low, leaving the string resting on the first fret, wouldn't it buzz when played open? I assume that there wouldn't be enough downward pressure to make a clean note? However, Black Bear's reply is the only way I can figure the OP's problem can happen......I'd like to see a video too.

Is the string on your G and A strings resting on the first fret? Cut a thin piece of wood maybe from a chopstik and lay it beside and against the nut in the first fret...make sure it is higher than the first fret. this is just to test if the action is too low at the nut. you got an old popsicle stick...cut it down and shape it to the right height

Last edited:
Is the string on your G and A strings resting on the first fret?

looks a lot like that, to be honest. Many people suggested to replace the nut, but I want to be sure that that's my problem before doing anything

Top Bottom