Epiphone Mandobird IV

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Anyone tried one of these ? Looks like a great budget solid Uke (once it's restrung/tuned as a Uke, obviously)

I think UUer Nuprin did this a while back.

I seem to recall a YOuTube video (or maybe a series of them) on converting the mandobird to a uke.

John

I researched them on the Mando sites for the same reason about a year ago, found out there is no neck truss rod. Did not make a lot of sense to me, or a lot do the folks on the mandolin sights. Bought a Risa instead.

Does "single coil pickup" mean one long coil under all the strings?

Yes. Most magnetic pickups are made with either one coil (single-coil) or two coils that are in parallel and have the magnets and windings in the opposite phase - this makes them "humbucking." These were invented, or at least originally patented, by Gibson (and I bet to this day they are gnashing at their wrists for not registering a trademark on the term "humbucker." :)

Their patent was also either too narrow or too general because other companies started manufacturing and selling humbucking pickups shortly thereafter.

John

I researched them on the Mando sites for the same reason about a year ago, found out there is no neck truss rod. Did not make a lot of sense to me, or a lot do the folks on the mandolin sights. Bought a Risa instead.

Wow...that's pretty crazy especially considering that they make an eight-string version. I wonder how many of the 8-string Mandobirds have necks that look like ski jumps...

John

Top Bottom