un-wound low "G" tenor suggestions

dbarr15

Reaction score
looking for suggestions for tenor strings that are not wound. whats your idea? Doug

My favorite unwound low g options are Living Water, PhD and Worth CHHDLG strings. Funnily enough, I like each of them best on a different uke, so you may need to try a few types to see what sounds best on your instrument.

I like the Living Water and Fremont strings for an unwound low G.

I like Fremont Blacklines on my Lanikai Spalted Mango Tenor.

For unwound I go with PhD strings.

Only my opinion matters! :)

Living Waters, Fremont, PhDs and Savarez all work well in unwound low G.

looking for suggestions for tenor strings that are not wound. whats your idea? Doug

Kind of liking the Fremont Blackline Low G lately

I like PHD and Orca unwound.
I recently tried a flatwound polished string, they are super.
Punch and sustain of a wound with the feel of an unwound, no squeeks.
Also the smaller diameter means no adjustment to the nut slots.

Who makes the flatwound, polished string?

I like PHD and Orca unwound.
I recently tried a flatwound polished string, they are super.
Punch and sustain of a wound with the feel of an unwound, no squeeks.
Also the smaller diameter means no adjustment to the nut slots.

aquila red series

I just switched to Low G so I dont have much to compare to but I am using the Aquila Red Series. It feels softer and maybe heavier than the normal aquilas. I like it but it did take a bit longer to stretch out than normal.

I'm very happy with the Aquila Reds, I just put one on my concert uke after having one on my Tenor for a long time. Make sure to get the new formulation ones, they don't stretchstretchstretch like the first ones did.

After I figured out that a burr on my nut was causing the string breaking problem on the Aquila Reds; I am super satisfied with them. They sound better on my Ovation tenor than anything I have used. Much more balanced with the other strings.

+1 Living Water

I've only tried low G with Worth clear mediums and Freemont Blacklines. I've also only used them on concert size ukuleles. I've been pleased with both of those brands and tried each of them on multiple ukuleles. I did notice that the Worth low G tends to sound better on solid wood than it does on laminate.

Nix

Top Bottom