PDA

View Full Version : FAKE nails.. tips and tricks

davoomac
02-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Okay so I know of a few ukulele performers that use fake nails to play. I want to know:

What are good brands?
What is something to look out for?
How do they work? glue?
Is there a way to put them on and off for performances anytime?
are fake nails better than fingerpicks?
whats the difference between fake nails and real nails as far as performance/sound?

As you can see I don't know anything about the fake nails since I have never used them :rolleyes:

Thanks for any information!
-Dave

wearymicrobe
02-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Go to a local shop and have them done, its about 15 buck for the right hand with shaping, 30 US/California Prices if they shape and smooth of the other hand as well. Make sure that they use the clear powder mixed with acetone and they will last about 5 weeks then they will need to be shaped and refilled where you nail has grown out in the back and you will have to pay ~8-10 buck to get that fixed.

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, you will hurt yourself or glue your hands togeher or shave the nails down to far and it will hrt like nothing else for weeks.

Fred Miu
02-18-2008, 06:00 AM
Okay so I know of a few ukulele performers that use fake nails to play. I want to know:

What are good brands?
How do they work? glue?
whats the difference between fake nails and real nails as far as performance/sound?

As you can see I don't know anything about the fake nails since I have never used them :rolleyes:

-Dave

they have thumbpicks, thats what i see a lot of performers use.

and if you eat jello, the jellitine(sp) will make your hair and your nails grow thicker

acabooe
02-18-2008, 07:33 AM
I just grow the nails on my right hand long.
But do what works for you.

Acabooe:cool:

Ukulele_Junkie
02-18-2008, 07:44 AM
dude you want to know what brand. well CHOOSE!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/EasT_StaR/funnyfingernails.jpg

Nah i'm jus kidding more fun with editing tools, but yeah maybe u should jus grow em out. fake nails are so expensive for something u know fake.

Fred Miu
02-18-2008, 07:57 AM
i would so rock the Kamaka hahaha

davoomac
02-18-2008, 09:28 AM
i would so rock the Kamaka hahaha

haha i don't know if I could afford those kamaka nails....:(

Landon
02-18-2008, 11:22 AM
haha i don't know if I could afford those kamaka nails....:(

lol the Kala ones work fine;)

EleoCasil
02-18-2008, 12:11 PM

What are good brands?
How do they work? glue?

-Dave
Dude dave we can just go k-mart! haha get it there! lol

UkuLeLesReggAe
02-18-2008, 06:40 PM
kamaka or kala haha they look sweeeet. but yeah it wud be sweet to have that kamaka logo...

.... The kamaka logo could be a made tat!!!!!!!!!

Silver fern tat works for me.

mossyoak
02-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I just grow the nails on my right hand long.
But do what works for you.

Acabooe:cool:

that's the best way. Also, I would be made fun of with fake nails.

JoeyJr858
04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
I met B.B. Shawn (Blind Boy shawn) when he was playing uke for Ka'au Crater Boys... when I shook his hand, I noticed his whole right hand was fake nails... I was like... brah you GENIOUS!!!

couldn't really see it when he was on stage... honestly it didn't even matter. If you heard him jam, you'd FREAK OUT... and probably say... I just need to retire! LOL

davoomac
04-24-2008, 12:22 PM
I met B.B. Shawn (Blind Boy shawn) when he was playing uke for Ka'au Crater Boys... when I shook his hand, I noticed his whole right hand was fake nails... I was like... brah you GENIOUS!!!

couldn't really see it when he was on stage... honestly it didn't even matter. If you heard him jam, you'd FREAK OUT... and probably say... I just need to retire! LOL

the WHOLE hand? :eek:

Valerie
04-24-2008, 12:28 PM
Lol, I just posted this on another thread...

aLaska picks: http://www.alaskapik.com/

These are removable, customizable, and cheap. Plus, they are durable (my guitar teacher has had the same set for years).

~Valerie

Keonikapila
04-24-2008, 05:15 PM

Yea, Troy Fernandez ran the acryllics too...it's not too uncommon actually

These are removable, customizable, and cheap. Plus, they are durable (my guitar teacher has had the same set for years).

~Valerie

I keep a set of these in my gig-bag along with a roll of that cotton-bandage-tape stuff to use if I break a nail. I use to tape to help keep em on and also to cover the slots on the top (without the tape I tend to snag the strings in the slot when I triple-strum)

JoeyJr858
04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
yeah, his whole right hand...

shoot... my wife's trippin that I wanna try it too. But yknow... makes for consistency? friggin nails... mainly my index and middle nails... when they break... FRICK BRAH!! So bummed till they grow back... LOL

la_ingrit
04-25-2008, 07:45 AM

~Valerie

Actually Pipa players use this kind of pick!!!!!!!!!
check it out in you tube!!!!!!!!
search: pipa

easyukulele
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
You could try a set from your local drug store that sells these fake nail sets. The only difference I found using the fake nail set from actually getting them done professionally was that the cheap set will break faster than the professionally done one!! I use to have one my friends girlfriend do them for me cause I was to embaressed to get them done in a beauty shop!!:D It also depends on how hard you pick!! But let me tell it works!! The picking sounds alot different...cleaner, crisper and loud. I think the cheap set I use to use was like Lee Press On Nails and some other generic brand. The glue is the same as super glue.:D Use to use them on my pointer, middle and thumb.

Hope this helps!!

Happy Playing!!

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-07-2008, 08:25 PM
that's the best way. Also, I would be made fun of with fake nails.

i wouldn't ever put fake nails on because.. doesn't seem normal to me for a guy to wear fake nails.. but i guess its like "a girl color is pink" its not, girls just happen to wear it more.

I wouldn't be made fun of.. everybody would tease the sh!t out of me for ever and ever.. i get teased for fileing(sp??) lmao my nails instead of cutting.

Growing your nails on the hand you strum with seems easier because i used to grow both but when i hold the strings down the nail sumtimes hits the string and makes a weird noise lol :D

Kaneohe til the end
05-07-2008, 10:36 PM
i think it would look weird for a guy to be buying fake nails. but i didnt know that eating jello makes your nails and hair thicker. do you have to eat it often?

UkeNinja
05-07-2008, 11:46 PM
...i didnt know that eating jello makes your nails and hair thicker. do you have to eat it often?

Well, even if it does work to the extent that you notice the difference, it would take a whole nail's growth (what is that, 6 months or so?) to finally get to the "upgraded" nail part.
Imagine 6 months of jello... :eek: But perhaps you could just take in a healthy dosis of milk every day. Keeps the doctor away as well. Oh no that's apples.

Isn't there nail polish that is supposed to strengthen your nails? No idea how and if it works, but perhaps it has some psychological effect...

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-08-2008, 02:15 AM
i used to put clear nail polish on my nails LMAO - girl did it to me in class when i was sleeping and i just made out that she keeps doing it... i don't wanna get labelled that i use nail polish

Kateri
05-08-2008, 02:24 AM
My slack key teacher used to have fake nails, and I had mine done a few times. If you go to a shop, it's usually acrylic based. it's a powder that is mixed with some liquid and applied to your natural nails. You can keep the acrylics as long as you want, and you will have to go for a fill about every 2 weeks. They can be shaped to however you want them. They can also be removed, but keep in mind your natural nails will be pretty week for a while, depending on how long you had the acrylics on.

I wouldn't really recommend the kind you apply yourself because its no where near as strong as actual acrylics and will most likely rip off, especially if you play really intensely.

And you can't really tell that the nails are fake unless you're srsly staring at them. Of course if you get the kine from Kmart, yeah. It's going to be obvious. :P

davoomac
05-08-2008, 03:04 AM
i used to put clear nail polish on my nails LMAO - girl did it to me in class when i was sleeping and i just made out that she keeps doing it... i don't wanna get labelled that i use nail polish

uhh...................okay? foreal or just making that up? thanks for that guy. :rolleyes:

Kateri:

Thanks for those tips.. you pretty much rock! very informative. tutorial videos? :D

haha we were really thinking of picking up the Kmart ones.. maybe i'll pass on those for now.

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-08-2008, 03:17 AM
uhh...................okay? foreal or just making that up? thanks for that guy. :rolleyes:

Kateri:

Thanks for those tips. very informative. tutorial videos? :D

haha we were really thinking of picking up the Kmart ones.. maybe i'll pass on those for now.

i can't tell whether your being serious or not.. thanks for that guy?? i don't get it... but she put it on once and i put it on the next day in science .. only for a day, i.e yes i did??

But yeah - clear nail polish... or fake nails, clear nail polish seems a lot less... weird.
*edit*
for a guy that is.

seeso
05-08-2008, 03:28 AM
There's nothing wrong with a guy wearing nail polish. This is 2008.

davoomac
05-08-2008, 03:38 AM

right on brotha!

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-08-2008, 03:38 AM

well said seeso :D

emo guys wear black nail polish all the time haha :D

drubin
05-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Like Seeso, I have no beef with polish or fake nails. :cool: Whatever floats your boat, as they say. :D More seriously, though, I just love the sound of bare fingers. As an aside, when playing live with other musicians, to get maximum volume, Del Rey uses a plastic thumbpick and three metal finger picks, but she notes that this makes certain techniques, like upstrokes, particularly difficult.

Big Bob
05-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I read somewhere that people also use ping pong balls and cut them up to fit the fingernail .I'm not sure how they glue them there . what ever turns them on ha ha

cashew
05-10-2008, 06:56 PM
If you're really afraid about appearances-- they make a matte clear polish thats marketed towards men. Orly's Nails for Males-- its matte and clear. http://www.folica.com/Orly_Nails_for__d517.html

davoomac
05-10-2008, 07:31 PM
If you're really afraid about appearances-- they make a matte clear polish thats marketed towards men. Orly's Nails for Males-- its matte and clear. http://www.folica.com/Orly_Nails_for__d517.html

Right on cashew! thank you for sharing that link! :D

cashew
05-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Right on cashew! thank you for sharing that link! :D

anytime :) we uke'ers gotta look out for one another

UkuLeLesReggAe
05-10-2008, 09:33 PM
i used nail polish because my finger nails kept snapping and breaking.. althoguh i never told anybody because it seemed to "femanin" (sp?)

now that i dont use them they continuosly break, like the look of the bottom.. purple a nice color haha

redsedge
05-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Sally Hanson's "Hard as Nails" makes your nails harder - and pretty much anything else porous that you put it on. I've been trying it for about a week but have found that coninuous clawhammer practice and fan stroke/circle stroke practice wore off the coating so I was retouching it every day or so.

Now I have found Sally Hanson's Diamond Strength instant nail hardener and so far, so good.

I was considering acrylic nails but they need continual maintenance, leave your nails weaker than ever and if you don't keep them well looked after, then fungal infections can set in and lift your nail away from the nail bed. Or so I hear. No nails! Agghh!

The Diamond Strength stuff is in most decent sized supermarkets here in the UK, along with other nail care products.

(I love men with shiny nails.)

TokyoUketarist
05-14-2008, 03:10 AM
I read somewhere that people also use ping pong balls and cut them up to fit the fingernail .I'm not sure how they glue them there . what ever turns them on ha ha

My friend who hates long nails but wanted that nail sound wound cut up ping pong balls. They are closer to the feel of real nails than acrylic because of the flex they have. I would go for the ping pong balls if you don't like growing real nails.

salukulady
05-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Well, even if it does work to the extent that you notice the difference, it would take a whole nail's growth (what is that, 6 months or so?) to finally get to the "upgraded" nail part.
Imagine 6 months of jello... :eek: But perhaps you could just take in a healthy dosis of milk every day. Keeps the doctor away as well. Oh no that's apples.

Isn't there nail polish that is supposed to strengthen your nails? No idea how and if it works, but perhaps it has some psychological effect...It's the gelatin in Jello that helps strengthen your hair and nails. You'd have to eat a lot of Jello every day to see an improvement in 6 months. You can get gelatin capsules at health food stores to take daily instead. And guys, be forewarned regarding acrylic nails. This is a commitment. You must take care of acrylics. That means a fill every two weeks and you must watch out for mold growth between the nail bed and the acrylic. Any signs of dark spots and the acrylic nail must be removed so your natural nail can grow out completely which can take months. Acrylics tend to make your natural nail thinner the longer their worn, and so when you remove them you've got 6 months of waiting for your natural nail to grow out and thicken up again.
I have known professional guitar players that wore them for years successfully, but they took care of them and had a manicurist that knew what they were doing.
Sally Hansen products are probably the best topcoat thickeners out there. Just make sure you remove the polish and let your natural nail breathe for a few days every few weeks. Any nail with get weaker if it stays coated all the time.

davoomac
05-16-2008, 11:13 AM
It's the gelatin in Jello that helps strengthen your hair and nails. You'd have to eat a lot of Jello every day to see an improvement in 6 months. You can get gelatin capsules at health food stores to take daily instead. And guys, be forewarned regarding acrylic nails. This is a commitment. You must take care of acrylics. That means a fill every two weeks and you must watch out for mold growth between the nail bed and the acrylic. Any signs of dark spots and the acrylic nail must be removed so your natural nail can grow out completely which can take months. Acrylics tend to make your natural nail thinner the longer their worn, and so when you remove them you've got 6 months of waiting for your natural nail to grow out and thicken up again.
I have known professional guitar players that wore them for years successfully, but they took care of them and had a manicurist that knew what they were doing.
Sally Hansen products are probably the best topcoat thickeners out there. Just make sure you remove the polish and let your natural nail breathe for a few days every few weeks. Any nail with get weaker if it stays coated all the time.

Thanks for these tips. Very useful and informative! :worship:

Big Bob
05-16-2008, 01:17 PM
How about pictures of the right way and wrong way to trim the nails so that a person gets the best results. I don't have the tools to post pictures here but i'm sure many of the UU members have.

nikolo727
05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
ok guys I know alot of people use nails when playing the ukulele.

I am blessed because i am able to comfortabley pick with all 4 fingers but it is also a curse because my nails are brittle.

I bought fake nails and im going to put them on when schools out because i get made fun of enough already for playing ukulele in Pennsylvania, so heres my quesiton.

what shape should i have my nails?

is there any way i can make them not look like fake nails?

in fact i just need to know pretty much everything about nails because i absolutely refuse to use a pick with a ukulele.

i dont have the coordination to use one either.

lol

can anyone help?

seeso
05-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Try to search, Nik.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747

I'm going to merge these threads...

seeso
05-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Threads merged.

nikolo727
05-23-2008, 05:16 PM
URG.

my bad once again.

:(

i bow to you seeso

:bowdown:

sukie
05-31-2008, 04:57 AM
Ok -- this is for the guys.

There is a product made by OPI that is called Nail Envy. It makes your nails harder. One of the Nail Envy polishes comes in a matte finish -- read "dull finish". It really does harden the nails. I think this is probably what you would want to use. If you put on fake nails you're pretty much asking for trouble later. The longer fake nails are on, the worse your real nails are. When you take the fake nails off your real nails will be really soft and thin. Then you've got more problems....

OPI can be purchased at nails salons, beauty supply places etc. Usually won't find it at Walgreens, etc.

nikolo727
05-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Ok -- this is for the guys.

There is a product made by OPI that is called Nail Envy. It makes your nails harder. One of the Nail Envy polishes comes in a matte finish -- read "dull finish". It really does harden the nails. I think this is probably what you would want to use. If you put on fake nails you're pretty much asking for trouble later. The longer fake nails are on, the worse your real nails are. When you take the fake nails off your real nails will be really soft and thin. Then you've got more problems....

OPI can be purchased at nails salons, beauty supply places etc. Usually won't find it at Walgreens, etc.

thank you so much dude.

i just called my mom up on her cell and it turned out she was at a beauty salon. :worship: score!

and it gets better

i asked her to buy me some of that stuff and she said she already has it!

woo

so i have applied that shit and now ima grow my nails back out.

YEHA!

Jroby
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
ok guys I know alot of people use nails when playing the ukulele.

I am blessed because i am able to comfortabley pick with all 4 fingers but it is also a curse because my nails are brittle.

I bought fake nails and im going to put them on when schools out because i get made fun of enough already for playing ukulele in Pennsylvania, so heres my quesiton.

what shape should i have my nails?

is there any way i can make them not look like fake nails?

in fact i just need to know pretty much everything about nails because i absolutely refuse to use a pick with a ukulele.

i dont have the coordination to use one either.

lol

can anyone help?

i know how u feel, i get ragged on for playing uke here in South Carolina.

allinfun
02-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I have acrylics done because my nails are very thin and prone to tearing. After the first year on the guitar I broke down and did the nail salon thing. I tried acrylics and gels, and learned a bunch along the way. both gel and acrylics can look natural without any polish on them. Fills can be done every 2 weeks at 15$ a full set. Ask the tech to finish the tips with a touch of CA (super) glue as it minimizes the chance of the natural nail lifting from the acrylic at the nail tip. You can have the nail tech shape them however you want and they release off the string so cleanly. Personally I have far fewer hangnail than I ever have, and that is a big perk. You will also notice that by playing with nails your tone will brighten up significantly when you play.

None of the department store lotions and potions did much to help but I went with acrylics over gels and here's why.

Acrylic has the ability to hold up to wear over a longer period and more stiff. That extra stiffness means they are less likely to lift off your natural nail due to flex from playing.

Shape: I fare best with a modified taper which means it's pretty round along the whole body but the very tip i flatten out a bit. That's primarly due to the fact I play on the edge of my finger not perpendicular.