PDA

View Full Version : a couple of videos from our new band!

23skidoo
12-29-2012, 05:47 AM
Fellow UUer decaturcomp (Alan) and I have been playing with our buddy Zac for a while now..... we've decided to make it official and started calling ourselves a band. If you're in the Atlanta area on January 11, we'll be playing in conjunction with an ukulele open mic at The Greater Good Barbecue in Tucker (http://www.facebook.com/events/283565405079598/) - bring your ukulele and come get some some righteous 'Q!

Here are a couple of videos we recorded while rehearsing last night....

This is one of Zac's original tunes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPS3ak0zHVg

23skidoo
12-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Here's a cover of the Hank Williams classic "I Saw The Light"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAAqmPPrPYM

ukemunga
12-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Great stuff! You guys blend well. Love the Hank Williams tune.

pabrizzer
12-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Loved the Hank Williams tune! Great job!

The Ukelites
12-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Great idea to start a band! What's the name of the band? We wish you great success and tons of fun!;)

we tigers
12-29-2012, 09:25 AM
Sounds good! have fun the 11th!

myrnaukelele
12-29-2012, 09:52 AM
You guys sound great!

Camsuke
12-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Excellent work guys, I'm looking forward to many more videos.

23skidoo
12-29-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks folks! The name of the group is Woven Pines - not sure what it means, but all three of us agreed on it! We'll definitely keep the UU peeps in the loop.....

UkuleleHan96
12-29-2012, 12:53 PM
awesome!!! great playing :)

Hippie Dribble
12-29-2012, 12:59 PM
aaah yes, so good fellas. Love both performances, but especially Zac's original. Move over Wayne 'The Train' Hancock...there be 3 more bad men in town

ukuleledaveey
12-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Fantastic chaps love it, the original is a fab tune and boy i loved that cover of Hank Williams, you play music i love and you sound great together, damn wish i could catch you live but i will be there in spirit. Wishing you loads of success and looking forward to hearing more from you, all the best from me :)

Lalz
12-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Great stuff indeed! Love love love the Hank Williams cover. Keep us posted! :)

23skidoo
12-29-2012, 04:20 PM
thanks for all the encouragement and kind words, folks....

Freeda
12-29-2012, 06:35 PM
It's a great blend! Looking forward to more videos.

Dan Uke
12-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Your voices really blend well together! That is some good stuff!!

Uke Whisperer
12-30-2012, 12:51 AM
Cool sound! My toes are still tapping.

23skidoo
12-30-2012, 04:35 AM
gracias, folks!

Barbablanca
12-30-2012, 06:37 AM
Great old-time sound on the Hank Williams tune. I enjoyed the original song too.

However, as an ex-Drama teacher, might I make one small recommendation? The guy playing the fiddle (is that Zak?) needs to play in front of the mirror a little and work on his projection (not his musical projection, but rather his confident "I am thoroughly enjoying this and so should you be" personality that everyone who plays in public needs to some extent or other. At the moment he's so concentrated on playing that he comes across a little like a rabbit in the headlights ;)

Of course, a lot of that will come with experience of playing the crowd, but it is something you can work on and it is something that many have learned to fake (if it doesn't come naturally)... After faking it for a few gigs, it is surprising how many people discover the natural performer within them and the fake personality gets substituted for a real one.

Having said all that, this all might make no sense if he just wasn't turning on the personality for the camera at a rehearsal that day. If that is the case, then ignore this "consejito" :rolleyes:

ksiegel
12-30-2012, 07:45 AM
So that's where you've been!

Right after Thanksgiving, Dave mentioned that he hadn't seen you lately, and was starting to get worried.

Now I know that you were just "practicing".

(Why doesn't that word have 4 letters?)

Nice Job, guys. I wish I was there so I could join you (And also not have to shovel this show up here...)

-Kurt

keonepax
12-30-2012, 01:59 PM
You guys make a great group! Love it!

23skidoo
12-30-2012, 02:11 PM
Great old-time sound on the Hank Williams tune. I enjoyed the original song too.

However, as an ex-Drama teacher, might I make one small recommendation? The guy playing the fiddle (is that Zak?) needs to play in front of the mirror a little and work on his projection (not his musical projection, but rather his confident "I am thoroughly enjoying this and so should you be" personality that everyone who plays in public needs to some extent or other. At the moment he's so concentrated on playing that he comes across a little like a rabbit in the headlights ;)

Of course, a lot of that will come with experience of playing the crowd, but it is something you can work on and it is something that many have learned to fake (if it doesn't come naturally)... After faking it for a few gigs, it is surprising how many people discover the natural performer within them and the fake personality gets substituted for a real one.

Having said all that, this all might make no sense if he just wasn't turning on the personality for the camera at a rehearsal that day. If that is the case, then ignore this "consejito" :rolleyes:

Bernie - thanks for the advice..... Alan has a lot of experience performing, but I'm pretty new to it..... slowly getting more comfortable in front of people, though I'm fine in front of a camera. Zac actually earns his keep as a jazz pianist, in a trio and playing solo - he's pretty comfortable on stage, but still a little camera shy..... we're all getting a little better at it every time we do it, so stay tuned.....

23skidoo
12-30-2012, 02:13 PM
So that's where you've been!

Right after Thanksgiving, Dave mentioned that he hadn't seen you lately, and was starting to get worried.

Now I know that you were just "practicing".

(Why doesn't that word have 4 letters?)

Nice Job, guys. I wish I was there so I could join you (And also not have to shovel this show up here...)

-Kurt

Thanks, Kurt..... yep, haven't had as much time for making videos lately, but hope to rejoin the Seasons once the holidays die down...... we're going to have about 15 people (including five kids under 6) and 6 dogs overnight for New Years..... woohoo!

23skidoo
12-30-2012, 02:14 PM
You guys make a great group! Love it!
thanks John!

Barbablanca
12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
So glad you took my comment in the spirit of constructive criticism with which it was offered.

I'm still confused. I know Alan, but which one is you? (OK, I know, I should check out some earlier entries in the seasons, but please indulge me.... :) )

TCK
12-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Whatever...you all go and start a band without me. I am walking off in a huff I say- a proper huff. You guys can forget the costumes I designed...
This is freaking rad. Period.
Can I play along at UWC?
Oh yeah- dammit Bill I have been missing you around here.

23skidoo
01-02-2013, 06:16 AM
So glad you took my comment in the spirit of constructive criticism with which it was offered.

I'm still confused. I know Alan, but which one is you? (OK, I know, I should check out some earlier entries in the seasons, but please indulge me.... :) )

Bernie- no worries - I love it when someone on UU actually takes the time to offer constructive criticism..... and I'm the tall guy playing guitar for the Hank cover.....

23skidoo
01-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Whatever...you all go and start a band without me. I am walking off in a huff I say- a proper huff. You guys can forget the costumes I designed...
This is freaking rad. Period.
Can I play along at UWC?
Oh yeah- dammit Bill I have been missing you around here.

Thanks, Dave - and we'll Skype you in to the next rehearsal... and UWC is on like Megatron......

Barbablanca
01-02-2013, 08:37 AM
..... and I'm the tall guy playing guitar for the Hank cover.....

Ah, so you're the "Jack out of Lost" look-alike ;)

Just gave it another listen. It's a cracker!

Tootler
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Great to see you guys playing together. Those two clips were really good. Great original song and a fabulous arrangement of the Hank Williams Classic.

Hope your gig goes well

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-02-2013, 11:22 AM
Thanks for sharing these performances. Y'all sound great. Love those vocal harmonies, especially.

seeso
01-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Right on, guys! Soundin' great.

23skidoo
01-02-2013, 12:03 PM
thanks folks!