My Xmas Uke's sound hole is off center.

michaeloceanmoon

Reaction score
I think that I'm going to have to return my Xmas uke to the distributor because the sound hole is off center by a couple of millimeters. The retail price for this instrument was initially over $500, (though I paid around $300 new without a case/bag)
Aside from the visual defect, does anyone know of other sound reasons why this could end up being a problem? It bugs me visually, so I would like to return it without any fuss from the distributor, but what's a solid argument to make other than it being "visually not centered".
thanks!
Michael A.

I think "not centered" is good enough on it's own. If it was sold as a factory second, you might think it was OK. At full price, not acceptable.

–Lori

Thanks Lori, my wife said that this kind of attention to detail is my downfall, but it really does matter. I mean, this is a legitimate solid wood instrument, not a toy.
I appreciate the feedback.
Keep on strummin'
Michael

If it was purchased as a second then it's entirely reasonable for the sound hole to be off center by a bit - that has no effect at all on the tone or playability. It's actually more likely that the bridge was mounted slightly off center or the neck was mounted at a slight angle - check for the strings to be closer to one edge of the fretboard than the other at the end of the fretboard near the sound hole. That is also not a problem as long as it is not so much as to make fretting difficult high up the neck.

The latter was what I finally figured out was wrong with the Pono baritone second that I purchased recently. I was quite happy to get it for almost $200 less than the regular price (and about half the "list" price) because it has no effect on playability and I love seconds because I'm a cheap bugger. :)

That said, if it wasn't sold as a second then it should have been (though it sounds like you paid about the right price for such a second whether it was called that or not).

John

You can return it or take pictures and ask for a discount again because of the defect....oh maybe that is why you got the discount... In any account, I'd choose between refund or discount...
he may want to give you one and save on the hassle and shipping which he would be responsible for since it is defective....contact the seller..

Top Bottom