Speaking of Mainland ukes...

Lideruke

Reaction score
I have a Mainland red cedar soprano and would like to try different strings than the Aquilas it came with. They're sounding a little off now, so it's time for them to go. Any suggestions what strings would compliment the uke best?
Thanks!

You might try Martin 600s. Don't know about cedar, but they sound great on my mahogany ukes.

You might also check the STRING DATA BASE in my sig line. Someone may have entered your uke and a review of the strings they use.

Lideruke, I have a red cedar soprano and I put martin 600 on it. After a week setting in,they are reallygreat! pdxuke is right Dismount

I've had Fremont Blacklines on the standard red cedar soprano pineapple and now on the concert neck red cedar soprano pineapple. Awesomely clear and bell-like. Great sustain. Love them. Haven't tried the Martins but read good things about them.

I just put Fremont Blacklines (medium tension) on a homemade cedar-topped soprano-scale cigar box uke. I love them! I've been committed to Aquillas for years but my wife demanded black strings on this uke. I might try the Fremonts on more of my ukes. Warning - they cost a lot more than Aquillas. $7 versus ~$4 at Elderly.

You might also give Dirk a shout and try the Southcoast strings. That's what I have on my mahogany tenor and I love them. I also tried D'Addario E17's, also a very good string. Did NOT like Aquilas on the Mainland. I use medium-soft (I think) Southcoast and I'm pretty much sticking with them. They sound bell-like and have a nice feel under the fingers.

I am pretty sure my Mainland red cedar has Martins on it and it sounds wonderful.

Top Bottom