Name Your Modern Classics

pdxuke

Reaction score
Okay, time for some ukechat fun.

We all agree that Kamaka's and Martin vintage ukes are classics. There are others as well--the vita, the Gibson Uke 1, etc.

How about modern classics? What would you put on your list of modern classic ukes? Let's say, anything built in this new wave of uke popularity, from the mid 90s to today?

Here's my modern classics (excluding Kamaka because a Kamaka will always be a classic) from least expensive up:

The Makala Dolphin
...never was there a more incredible, cheap, plain fun uke.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=19334&d=1295131585

The Ohana SK 35

..will someday rank up there as a classic uke.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=21948&d=1301008426

The Ohana SK38

...a wonder of engineering. A vintage uke in a modern body
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20927&d=1298504722

How about you?

I know nothing of this subject, but i will have to say the Makala MK-S (just because i bought one)

When I know nothing of a subject, I avoid advertising that fact by posting it on the internet.

When I know nothing of a subject, I avoid advertising that fact by posting it on the internet.

And to call them out probably means that you know nothing as well!! I guess I just called you out as well so I know nothing too. LOL

And to call them out probably means that you know nothing as well!! I guess I just called you out as well so I know nothing too. LOL

since im not a proud person, im not worried about advertising my lack of knowledge on the internet. However, the MK-S with replacement Aquila strings is an instant classic.

What is it with new members being such argumentative jerks lastly? The same one who knows nothing in this thread, had a go at Stan in another thread about how Stan dared to get his facts wrong about coconut oil.. Like really laid into him like this is SomethingAwful.com and not Ukuleleunderground.com.

So ok, he's new, and acting fine in this thread although he violated the Don't be a jerk rule in the other one. Then a fellow newbie comes on in and feels free to troll as well. :WTF: Please go back to 4chan if you wanna act like this. I am sick and tired of low post counters starting crap here.

Edit - nope, acting like a jerk in this one too.

Anyway - My Lisf:

KoAloha Concert
Risa uke stick - come on it's unique!
Eleuke - because look how far they've come
Flukes and Fleas - because they started it all

Let's calm down folks and stay on topic.

Kim, good call on the flukes and fleas. If he isn't already regarded as such, I think Jim Beloff will go down in uke history as the modern day ambassador of the instrument. What he has done for our beloved jumping flea in the last 20 years is almost immeasurable.

+1 on the KoAloha concert. Amazing uke. KoAlana soprano is pretty amazing, too.

since im not a proud person, im not worried about advertising my lack of knowledge on the internet. However, the MK-S with replacement Aquila strings is an instant classic.

Hmmm...to call someone a lurk moar when you just joined UU and to call yourself pretty good for a beginner...but you are not proud

Plainsong said it eloquently

Last edited:
Right. Enough. Please show some respect to the OP and to each other. Last warning.

Collings UT-1
Compass Rose Tenor
Mya-Moe Tenor Classic

If its a modern classic I would go with the new most popular size - tenor

I think this depends on what defines "Classic." Is it only production ukes?

production:
1. KoAloha
2. Kanile'a

Luthiers (too many good ones)
Moore Bettah
DeVine
Pepe Romero
(DaSilva, Graziano, Compass Rose, Etc.)

In 50 years many of the small volume luthiers may be forgotten...

I think we are in a uke renaissance right now. Even many of the imports are very good. Our modern luthiers are as good as any of the historical ones. (standing on the shoulders of giants... Plus advances in science and theory)

Mya-Moe and Flukes. Both companies have done so much to popularize the modern-day ukulele in their own unique ways.

I think this depends on what defines "Classic." Is it only production ukes?

production:
1. KoAloha
2. Kanile'a

Luthiers (too many good ones)
Moore Bettah
DeVine
Pepe Romero
(DaSilva, Graziano, Compass Rose, Etc.)

In 50 years many of the small volume luthiers may be forgotten...

I think we are in a uke renaissance right now. Even many of the imports are very good. Our modern luthiers are as good as any of the historical ones. (standing on the shoulders of giants... Plus advances in science and theory)

You have a good point, we need to all agree what modern classic means. I believe it means a modern or newer brand of ukulele that will still be played and enjoyed much later like in 50 years from now. I hope it never happens but I wonder what would happen to many of these smaller companies if the uke fad dies again.

You have a good point, we need to all agree what modern classic means. I believe it means a modern or newer brand of ukulele that will still be played and enjoyed much later like in 50 years from now. I hope it never happens but I wonder what would happen to many of these smaller companies if the uke fad dies again.

I deliberately did not define it, because I wanted to hear how you all define "modern classic." But I agree with the definition above--that's what I'm thinking...

Modern classic : I define as holding it's value over time (possibly appreciating in value), and being an instrument sought after for decades to come. This is especially true if the instruments are highly regarded by musicians and performers during their production years, and then end production for some reason.

Modern classic instruments, by my definition (and yours may differ), tend to be those that are not so "boutique" as to not have enough in circulation, and yet not so commonplace as to be pedestrian. Vintage Martins, for instance, fit this mold.

I believe Mya-Moe ukuleles will become classics.

Modern classic : I define as holding it's value over time (possibly appreciating in value), and being an instrument sought after for decades to come. This is especially true if the instruments are highly regarded by musicians and performers during their production years, and then end production for some reason.

Modern classic instruments, by my definition (and yours may differ), tend to be those that are not so "boutique" as to not have enough in circulation, and yet not so commonplace as to be pedestrian. Vintage Martins, for instance, fit this mold.

I believe Mya-Moe ukuleles will become classics.

And yet Martins were made by the boatload, especially in the 40s and 50s. By THAT standard, Ohana fits. Imagine that next year they stopped making the SK38, or that Kala stopped manufacturing the Dolphin. In twenty five years we'd all be bidding for them on ebot, and I, in my dotage, would be selling my collection of "classic" dolphins and Ohanas... :)

Top Bottom