• Pono MC

Votes: 42 85.7%
  • Kala KA-FMC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Indiecat

Reaction score
Rate these ukes in order

Hey guys I'd just like you to put these 3 ukes in order from 1-3 based on your opinion.

-Kala Ka-ASLAC
-Pono MC
-Kala Ka-FMC

Thanks!

(I know I have already posted a thread about these ukes but I wanted to do a poll so here it is..

Out of these three ukes:

-Kala KA-ASLAC
-Pono MC
-Kala KA-FMC)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pono #1

Kala #5 (four better brands in between--lol)

There was a thread on this with a title hard to search, within the last week. I, or someone else, will link it for you, I'm sure.

Oh, here it is. This should be helpful for you, too, Indiecat. Welcome to UU

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?73274-Limited-Kala-Marcy-Marxer-vs-Pono-ATC-C

Yes, that would be my rating scale too. Although I haven't played a Pono, so in my number one slot for factory ukes made outside the US it would go like this:

Martin (Mexico)
Kiwaya (Japan)
Ohana (China)

The only Kala I've ever cared for is the Dolphin. An absolute classic, entry level instrument. I saw an orange one today and almost bought it, which I need like a hole in the head since I have

a pink one
a red one
a yum yum yellow one
TWO lavender ones (How'd that happen--anybody wanna trade for blue?)
:D

I just realized I haven't helped the OP at all. Sorry... Although I'd suggest you broaden your choices :)

I know I have already posted a thread about these ukes but I wanted to do a poll so here it is..

Out of these three ukes:

-Kala KA-ASLAC
-Pono MC
-Kala KA-FMC

Martin (USA)
Kiwaya (Japan)
Martin (Mexico)
Pono (Indonesia)
Ohana (China)
Kala (unknown)

I agree, Indiecat, about choice broadening. It all depends on your budget and sound/playing style that you're after.

from my own experience, and based on your 3 options, I would choose the Pono hands down. Better build quality, superior tone. Happy shopping Indiecat and I hope you enjoy whichever uke you decide upon! :)

Pono vs. Kala - not even a choice - go with the Pono.

Yep, Pono #1 from the list you gave. Esp. if you can find a blemished 2nd; they're like 1/2 price.
Agreed.

Kalas have a lot of issues. Pono is among the best of the imports and among best in its price range.

You guys must be very privileged if you think that Kala is the worst brand in the world. They're like Koalohas compared to Ashton or Mahalo.

You guys must be very privileged if you think that Kala is the worst brand in the world. They're like Koalohas compared to Ashton or Mahalo.

Can you point to the place where anyone called Kala the worst brand in the world?

I didn't vote because I've never held or even laid eyes on a Pono. Would like to some day. That said, I've never touched a Kala I didn't really take to, and I own several.
(I also have a high opinion of my two Oscar Schmidt ukuleles - but, shhhhhh, don't tell anyone)

Cutting to the chase...

I think the implication is that Kala is an inferior maker. I've been introduced to many excellent and occasionally exquisite makers thanks to my time on this board. It's been quite an education and you can bet that that I've imagined buying some of these cool ukes - (done the math including shipping in my imagining) but what I have hanging above my desk are all relatively low-end ukuleles.

A year ago I argued with myself before ordering my first ukulele - a Kala KA-S. $69.95. That has led to six more ukes and a crazy passion. None of it makes sense, but it started with Kala and that first uke still is my favorite sound amongst the six others.

I love hearing about and savoring the beautiful ukes - and some day I very well may own one - but I'm all over my Kala's and OS's. They're what most of us who hear the call of the ukulele purchase initially and they sound much better than some of you let on.

So let me shout from the rooftop: KALA ROCKS! - for the money.

/thread drift off

While I've never played the Kala Ka-ASLAC, it is from the top of their line, while the Pono you list is from their bottom...
...I've played, owned, and own other Kalas from their top and IMO they were better than the bottom Ponos in both sound and finish.
I think many here are discussing the entire range of Kala (and Pono for that matter).
If it were my $$$ I'd go with the Kala Ka-ASLAC (assuming you like a brighter tone) from this group. From from the sound clips I've heard, the 2 Kalas seem to project better too.

#1 Kala Ka-ASLAC
#2 Pono MC
#3 Kala Ka-FMC

Last edited:
I have the Kala Ka-ASLAT (tenor) and it seems awesome to me. It's definitely not a toy. I like it so well that I'm planning to add the concert very soon.

I also have a Pono MHS Pro-Classic, it that also has an excellent sound. I couldn't say either one is "better" because they do sound quite different. The Kala is bright and full sounding, the Pono is clear and bell-like.

I'm happy with both. I'm sure the OP would be very satisfied with any of the ones listed.

Last edited:
Yes Kala is a lot better generally, than the toys sold in some music shops. Seriously not even close, those things are monsters and the Kalas are actual instruments.

But that's not what the OP asked. The OP wanted opinions on two Kalas versus a Pono. In that case, it isn't close at all. Are we supposed to lie so someone else can feel better? You play what you play, and the proof is in the music, not the brand. If you think we judge you on the brand you play... Well I don't do that.

My opinion was given based on owning 4 Kalas, two Ponos. I don't currently own those ukes now, or rather the two Kalas I have left are wall art. That wasn't by choice, I didn't get them to not play them, they just cost too much to fix the issues they came with.

I guess I don't know squat...if Ponos are so much better than Kalas, how come I love my Kala so much? My buddy has a Pono, and yes, I really like it, but I'm not sure I'd trade her even for it...I think the setup, as has been mentioned here many times, is just about as improtant as the brand...

Top Bottom