46th Season of the Ukulele: 011137

pabrizzer

Reaction score

OK. Corrections first.
Randy Newman’s song is called ‘You’ve Got a Friend in Me’.
I said 8 chords at one point - but I meant 7. There can be more but not less.
‘Hosting’ is a much better word than ‘running’.

What all this (below) says is that I’d like a short song, with lots of chords (at least 7) done by one person with no electronic effects.

The Season is called ‘Zero triple one three seven’.

Zero – zero electronic effects. No chorus, reverb, flange, grunge etc, etc. Please use the technology to record your performance not change it. I really want to hear you and your ukulele as if we’re sharing our songs in ‘real time’. (If you can’t possibly live without your effects please submit an entry anyway. Yes it’s small on purpose.)

One – one take. No overdubs or adding second tracks. No looping either, please.

One – solo performance only ie one person. For the duos you can still improve your chances (although there may not be a prize) by each doing an entry. There are some fantastic duo teams out there, but just for this season let’s hear each of you on your own please. I noticed a previous season asked for duo entries so I don’t think I’m being too unreasonable asking for solos. (Again if you insist on remaining a duo please submit an entry anyway.)

One – one entry. You get to do one song only and once that song is done it can’t be done by someone else. So think about your entry, but not too long - the early Seasonista gets the song. Just for this season no bonus entries please.

Three – I have a short attention span and once I get the gist of a song I rarely tend to listen to the end unless it is really good. So there is a 3 minute limit – that’s the song. Your spoken intro won’t count in the time limit. Feel free to shorten a favourite song if need be. This week is really about the structure of the song rather than the lyrics so don’t feel too bad about leaving out a verse. Instrumentals are fine, as are originals.

Seven or more – Your song must include at least 7 different chords and the chords used listed in the entry description. Minors, minor sevenths, sevenths count but chord inversion don’t ie a D chord with an F# bass note is still a D. Playing the same chord with a different structure won’t count either ie using a bar chord or playing the chord higher up the neck. Key changes don’t count. Simply jumping up or down a tone or semi-tone and redoing the song is not what I’m after.
Please don’t let the need for lots of chords stop you from doing an entry. You could always do a fancy introduction with a run down or up of chords and then just do a 3 chord song.

Plus all the usuals – ukulele front and centre – state somewhere in your video that it is for Ukulele Underground Season 46 – the video should be done for this Season (won’t be strict on this one).

Season closes next Sunday midnight Hawaii time.

Judging. At the end of the season I will post a thread giving my top three with a comment and then I would like those who have entered to also post a thread listing their favourite three. Not 1st, 2nd, 3rd - Just their favourite 3 and a brief explanation as to why. We’ll take it as a given that you like your own entry so please don’t include that one. You’ll have 5 days to post that ‘judgement’. I hadn’t planned on giving prizes but if an entry (or entries) is mentioned in every judgement (including mine) I will scrounge up a set of strings or a sticker (maybe an Australiana set of drink coasters) or something (provided that member has also contributed to the judging.)
When the judging posts start appearing please don't comment on other members decisions just make your own.
I've noticed that members have always been very polite when it comes to judges decisions and I expect this will remain the case.

SEASON 46 OFFICIAL ENTRIES PLAYLIST

Last edited:
If you use the Reply With Quote hyperlink to comment on a video previously posted please delete the video from the quote.
To do this delete everything between and including the words [VIDEO] including the square brackets.
It will just keep this thread a bit more manageable in terms of the number of 'pages'.

Last edited:
And we're off!
While Saskia is reading up on Australia in the absolutely brilliant 'In a Sunburned Country' by Bill Bryson, I'm playing It's Only a Paper Moon.
I've doubled the minimum amount of necessary chords (15). And halved maximum amount of time (1.5 minutes).

Woohoo! I'm the first one!

My offering this week is ironic in a couple ways. First, it was originally recorded by one of the great duets in music history. Second, I committed this week to a new job overseas. Come April 15th, I'll be living and working in Phuket, Thailand. Never been there before. I'm quite excited. What's the opposite of "homeward"? "Awayward"? That's where I'm bound.

Another One Take Wonder (This time with no false starts. Turned the camera on, recorded, camera off.)
Nobody Knows You (When You're Down And Out.)
It has more than 7 chords. The progression is in the YouTube description.

-Kurt​

And Happy New Year to One and All... well except you- and you know who you are! (g)

(That was a joke... Honestly!)

I like the 3 min rule! All the singing shows shorten the songs to like 90 seconds because they know the attention span of the audience.

Au Natural ~ Walk Away Renee

13 chords, 2:37, performed solo, au naturel, only one take, muffed the bridge, but it was too chilly to do more...

C G Bb Dm Fm F D Am G7 Em Am7 C6(#5) F#dim (Richard G's version, added my intro, bridge & outro)

"Walk Away Renée" by the band The Left Banke in 1966... English lyrics composed by the group's then 16-year-old keyboard player Michael Brown (real name Michael Lookofsky) and Tony Sansone. Bob Calilli... originally wrote the French song "Quand un Amour Renaît" for Sylvie Vartan, his melody is the same on both records. The song was also a chart hit for the Motown group the Four Tops in 1968.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walk_Away_Renee

Fair Warning: If you might be offended by "au naturel" ukeing by an old out-of-shape guy, don't click this link. (Nothing explicit, just me having a laugh, couldn't resist when Pa mentioned it is his video, Rated PG.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlimXhiukLM

Last edited:
Wow!
Checked in this morning and 4 fantastic entries!!! THANKS GUYS!
Gee! Posted this - checked back - and there were 2 more entries!!
FANTASTIC!!

Last edited:
Fair Warning: If you might be offended by "au naturel" ukeing by an old out-of-shape guy, don't click this link. (Nothing explicit, just me having a laugh, couldn't resist when Pa mentioned it is his video, Rated PG.)

Just as well it is rated PG.
It could have been rated, "Aaaaaaaaaagh!!!" (That's a cry of anguish, fear and people totally freaking out):eek:
You made me laugh out loud!
Thank goodness for the music on the music stand!:rolleyes:

Just a little question here @pabrizzer because you don't really state it, originals are allowed, right, it does not have to be a cover?
So any song with 7 different chords is ok?
Originals are fine. (It was hidden somewhere in the very wordy written conditions.)
If it has 7 or more chords, I'm happy.:)
I look forward to your entry, xommen.

Last edited:
And we're off!
While Saskia is reading up on Australia in the absolutely brilliant 'In a Sunburned Country' by Bill Bryson, I'm playing It's Only a Paper Moon.
I've doubled the minimum amount of necessary chords (15). And halved maximum amount of time (1.5 minutes).

Woohoo! I'm the first one!

Cool arrangement! We had the same idea for recording (one is playing, one is sitting on the sofa and vice versa)! Now we have to come up with something different. Maybe you record another take with Saskia singing this superb song? :D

Wow!
Checked in this morning and 4 fantastic entries!!! THANKS GUYS!
Gee! Posted this - checked back - and there were 2 more entries!!
FANTASTIC!!

Maybe they're all fed up of umpteen versions of "While Shepherds Watched" :deadhorse:

When I finished reading your challenge, I realised I had a song that will fit the criteria which surprised me as most of my songs are 2, 3 and 4 chord songs. I'll wait until I've put season 45 to bed first. There's still a few hours to go for that one. The bit about cutting the song down to <3min bothered me, though as folk songs depend on the words. I'll guess I'll just have to resist posting a 76 verse ballad.
:rulez:

Some great entries so far.

Last edited:
@weeginga: A song of you without reverb wouldn't be a song of you! As always a very cool song choice and rendition. I want a Fez-Smiley!

@filipinouker: Superb theme for this seasons! I'm sorry for you that your family is so far away! Just noticed that you're in the UK. But at least your family can watch your cool videos! I'm sure they are happy to see you singing!:)

@Joko: Great song! I never could record a video before 5 p.m.;) We wish you a lot of luck in Thailand!

@KSiegel: Wow, that was good! First Take? Well, then you played that song for some time before recording it today! Just great! This goes straight on my songstosinglist!

Cool arrangement! We had the same idea for recording (one is playing, one is sitting on the sofa and vice versa)! Now we have to come up with something different. Maybe you record another take with Saskia singing this superb song? :D

It would be funny if you did do the same setup.
Rex

My 7 chord wonder (or blunder?).

Forgive me if someone has done this song already, or used the same props, or used the same back drop. Anyway, I was feeling a bit silly getting ready for new years eve hat party, so....

Enjoy
Rex

Maybe they're all fed up of umpteen versions of "While Shepherds Watched" :deadhorse:

When I finished reading your challenge, I realised I had a song that will fit the criteria which surprised me as most of my songs are 3 and 4 chord songs. I'll wait until I've put season 45 to bed first. There's still a few hours to go for that one. The bit about cutting the song down to <3min bothered me, though as folk songs depend on the words. I'll guess I'll just have to resist posting a 30 verse ballad.
:rulez:

Some great entries so far.

Gee, Tootler - I think your season is going so well. I certainly didn't get :deadhorse: < this feeling at all.
Glad you've found a song to enter Season 46 and I look forward to watching it.

@weeginga: A song of you without reverb wouldn't be a song of you! As always a very cool song choice and rendition. I want a Fez-Smiley!
But he did it, didn't he?
But he couldn't resist the green screen, though.
Thanks weeginga.
I am putting comments on YouTube as the videos come through.
All fantastic so far!

Top Bottom