Do most people teach themselves or take lessons? Is it worth getting lessons?

Youkalaylee

Reaction score
I was wondering how common it is for people to pay for lessons on playing the ukulele. I've got the impression from this website that most people are self-taught.

But for those who have had formal teaching outside of cyber-space, do you think its really helped? There's so much out there on the Internet for free I've been wondering whether I should seek lessons. Although saying that I can't find any local tuition and the closest ukulele group doesn't appear to want new members (but at the moment until I pass my driving test Ill struggle to commit to either).

I'm enjoying learning on my own but I think having somebody sat by me who knows their stuff would really speed up my learning, and might give me a bit more structure.

I am self/website -taught and i learned a lot . but ive also hit a plateau and really cant go any further . If there was any lessons with in reasonable driving distance from me id surly take them , and id suggest if you can find lessons to go for it

I was a hopeless fiddler till I took a year of lessons and now I'm just a poor fiddler ;) - But at least I am not banished to the mountains to practice nowadays :)

If you can take lessons, I think it is a valuable experience. But you can learn a lot from playing with more experienced players who are willing to show you their tricks too :)

i am self taught, the only thing i struggle with is jumping from one thing to another, like trying clawhammer, triple stroke, mute playing, and the need to play songs, instead of really nailing the basics,
so in new year i am giving a club a try to see how i get on, hopefully it will give me some constructive progress, rather then piece meal playing( mind you i have really enjoyed learning on my own, ) playing with others i am sure will help me to play better

Lessons can help - this from someone who hasn't taken any - in many ways. A good teacher can correct bad habits, help you make good habits, reinforce things you already know but are unsure of, and challenge you to be your best.

A bad teacher can put you off wanting anything to do with the instrument.

Playing with others is always good - you might not learn anything, but you'll have fun.

There are many on-line tutorials that are of immense use - and again, the caveat that I haven't really used any, as I have 40+ years of bad guitar habits behind me - and just a few of them are:

Uncle Rod's Boot Camp. I haven't used it, but looked at it, recommended it to several people, all of whom have gotten back to me about how much it helped them. http://files.meetup.com/2287271/ukulele%20boot%20camp%20rev%5B2%5D.pdf

UU Lessons - If they cost money, I'm told it is worth every penny - as long as you pay attention and practice. http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/

Michael Lynch's tutorials aren't bad - I've used a couple of them, but the bad habits won out... http://www.ukulelemikelynch.com

I have attended Jim D'Villes Play By Ear (part One) seminar. It isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it - and it really reinforced some of the good habits I had, and made me look for some other things I was missing. He has parts one and two on DVD, and a new DVD on soloing that I have to get... http://www.playukulelebyear.com/

I'd recommend starting with Uncle Rod's Boot camp. I don't know that the pdf I've linked to is the latest version, but since Rod Higachi is a regular here, you could always ping him and ask.

I wish you the best, in whatever direction you go. But Keep Playing!

-Kurt​

It's like learning anything else--different people have different ways that work best for them. Some folks like a classroom, some folks prefer a tutor, others are fine with just a book, etc. A mix of approaches probably works best, although what that mix winds up being is up to you.

A long-winded way of saying that it certainly wouldn't hurt to try lessons and see what you think.

And I'll point out that the fact that most of us here teach ourselves is less an indication of a preference for autodidacticism and more of an indication of how scarce ukulele teachers are in most places.

JJ

I think it's always a good idea to get knowledgeable feedback if you can. I took lessons for a bit and enjoyed them , however it was mostly strumming and singing and my singing hurts even my ears, so I stopped. Now I'm working on fingerpicking tunes, which iis slower progress but much more to my taste.

If you can find a real ukulele instructor, I'd say to give it a try and see if the two of you mesh. If you two do, you will probably advance much quicker than going it solo. If your personalities clash or they are a guitar teacher trying to teach the Uke, it might be a waist of your money

I guess it depends upon what you want to do. I have taken lessons for almost 5 years. I remember my first teacher asking me what I wanted to learn. I looked at her like she was stupid and said I wanted to learn how to play the ukulele. Like how to play it, not strum it. I am on my third teacher. He is by far the very best teacher I could have. (Yes, it is Aldrine). There is no way I could be at this level without him. I just hope some day to make him proud. I am a very slow learner.

I would definitely suggest having a teacher who is more of an ukulele player than a guitar player that also plays ukulele.

I have to second Uncle Rod's boot camp. 5 sheets of natural chord progressions. Great for learning and remembering the chords, great for teaching progressions for playing by ear and composition as well. Funny enough youtube videos help if the player is good and videos their technique (and not just their face).

I already have a decent musical background (play piano, sing, some woodwinds, etc) which gives one a big head start on self teaching.

Last edited:
I have been trying the self teaching method with mixed results. Not having any type of musical background does make it difficult when trying to learn online. If I don't understand something in a video or tutorial, I now have to spend a lot of time trying to search online to figure out what the heck it is. That can get old, and deter one from continuing on some days. I know and can change pretty fluently through some chords and even barre pretty decently right now, but I think some musical theory and some structure would really help bring it all together and help to progress to another level.

So in a nutshell, I think lessons would really help.

It's like learning anything else--different people have different ways that work best for them. Some folks like a classroom, some folks prefer a tutor, others are fine with just a book, etc. A mix of approaches probably works best, although what that mix winds up being is up to you.

A long-winded way of saying that it certainly wouldn't hurt to try lessons and see what you think.

And I'll point out that the fact that most of us here teach ourselves is less an indication of a preference for autodidacticism and more of an indication of how scarce ukulele teachers are in most places.

JJ
for sure i looked for one within a hours drive ,, NONE

If you can find a real ukulele instructor, I'd say to give it a try and see if the two of you mesh. If you two do, you will probably advance much quicker than going it solo. If your personalities clash or they are a guitar teacher trying to teach the Uke, it might be a waist of your money

How about a banjo player (me) trying to teach ukulele ? :D lolol

I am all for group or private lessons..

you learn quicker and if you have a good teacher you can play more detailed stuff too..and nothing better than being pushed to play better!

I learned a lot from videos and reading online. Once I joined a uke group I felt like I started improving rapidly. I learn best when playing with others and being around better players really makes me want to play more. If you have an opportunity to take lessons give it a shot. If you don't like you do not have to keep taking them. I just started banjo lessons and I love it. It is great to have someone help you and show you how to fix something you are working on.

Self taught...never a lesson.

However, I take piano from an instructor...piano doesn't come naturally to me...

No one teaches lessons near me, at least google doesn't think so. I've gonna investigate some teachers who do it over Skype, that could be interesting...

There is a group near me but they're a set group, I don't think they accept new members.

I feel like I'm getting on okay but it's good to here many don't take lessons yet feel they're getting on alright.

I do find that a great teacher will push you to levels you thought were not possible.

Top Bottom