Need Assistance to Make a Decision

T

tomthebaptist

I am trying to decide on a second tenor ukulele with low G tuning to go with my Pono ATD. UAS tells me to upscale and purchase a Collings UT-1 (with tax just under $1200) - but common sense tells me that a comparable Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor (under a thousand) or another Pono (under $500) makes more sense. Every Pono I've played sounds and plays darn good! And their customer service is second to none. I've played neither the Collilngs nor the Loprinzi, but I'm very familiar with their guitars - especially Collings. Do I spend more and go with a Collings? spend a little less and go with the Loprinzi? or, do I save a bunch and get another Pono (MTD)? Is there that much difference in quality, sound, playability etc between the three? I know what I'm getting if I go with the Pono... but not having played the Loprinzi nor the Collings, I don't know that it is worth the extra money. I'm asking for honest feedback because the nearest dealers that carry Loprinzi and Collings are 4 hours away.

Thanks,

Tom

Hey Tom, all great ukes and any would be a fine choice. I guess, if money were not a massive issue for you, I'd buy the Collings, they are truly fine instruments. In terms of tone, playability, comfort and aesthetics, the others can't really match the UT-1. That said, I have owned LoPrinzi's and Pono's and they were great too. Buy what you can realistically afford mate.

One thing I like about the Loprinzi is the thin/flatter neck shape. The Pono I have has more of a U shape.

Hey Tom, all great ukes and any would be a fine choice. I guess, if money were not a massive issue for you, I'd buy the Collings, they are truly fine instruments. In terms of tone, playability, comfort and aesthetics, the others can't really match the UT-1. That said, I have owned LoPrinzi's and Pono's and they were great too. Buy what you can realistically afford mate.

Thanks, Eugene. Good advise. Well, money is not a huge issue, but I do want to buy responsibly. I view a good instrument as an investment -- maybe not in terms of dollars and cents - but in terms of something I can pass down to my children and grand children.... By the way, I like the quote from Jim Elliot in your signature. Interesting, an elderly lady in our church was in school with Jim and Elizabeth at Wheaton College west of Chicago. Elizabeth was her roommate.

"one thing I like about Loprinzi is the thin/flatter neck shape."

d-mace --- The thin flat neck might be a little uncomfortable for me. The Lanakai tenor that I started out with has a thin, flat neck.... just not too crazy about it. But thanks for your input. That is good to know.

tom

If money isn't an obstacle you'd probably be better off going with the Collings - not because I think it is going to play or sound that much better than the Pono (I recently bought a Pono MBD second and I love it) but because if you're really interested in the "responsible buying" category the Collings has the potential to become a family heirloom while the Pono is just a really good uke but is not particularly valuable otherwise and not likely to ever be so.

For myself, I would probably buy the Pono - I'm primarily concerned with how the ukulele is going to do the job for me and not that concerned about where it will be fifty years from now. :)

John

For myself, I love the thinner neck and fast action of a Collins. Ponos and LoPrinzis are wonderful instruments but from the ones I've played are not in the same ballpark as a Collins.

I would have no hesitation about buying a Pono or LoP. if that was my budget otherwise a C. without a second thought.

I buy higher end instruments because there is less chance that I'll sell them and if I do, I'll get top dollar back. By the time a person buys three or four mid priced ukes, they could have had bought just one that was "the one" that'll never be sold.

Last edited:
Another strong vote for the Collings (making it unanimous).

Can you find one, that is the real stumper.

For low G tuning in a tenor, I'd go with a KoAloha or Compass Rose. The Collings sounds better in standard reentrant tuning to my ears.

I have a couple of Griffin ukes. They aren't mass produced or made in quantity but at most, three at a time. There is something about playing a uke where the maker uses 1500 year old cedar for a sound board and woods he collected 50t years ago finished off with a French Polish that takes three weeks to do. There's a special feeling with a uke that is made especially with you in mind.

CK has a point about finding one lol. I've played a Compass Rose and a KoAloha and they are pretty special. We're blessed to have such a large range to choose from and the quality of good instruments in each price range.

Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't made a decision yet.... but the Collings T-1 will be in next month so I will be able to give it a spin. My Pono sounds so good and easy to play... its hard for me to imagine that the Collings would sound that much better. I will see come mid-Feb.

As nice as a Collings is - is nobody suggesting going halfway on the cost - Kanile'a K1 Tenor?

I am trying to decide on a second tenor ukulele with low G tuning to go with my Pono ATD. UAS tells me to upscale and purchase a Collings UT-1 (with tax just under $1200) - but common sense tells me that a comparable Loprinzi Mahogany Tenor (under a thousand) or another Pono (under $500) makes more sense. Every Pono I've played sounds and plays darn good! And their customer service is second to none. I've played neither the Collilngs nor the Loprinzi, but I'm very familiar with their guitars - especially Collings. Do I spend more and go with a Collings? spend a little less and go with the Loprinzi? or, do I save a bunch and get another Pono (MTD)? Is there that much difference in quality, sound, playability etc between the three? I know what I'm getting if I go with the Pono... but not having played the Loprinzi nor the Collings, I don't know that it is worth the extra money. I'm asking for honest feedback because the nearest dealers that carry Loprinzi and Collings are 4 hours away.

Thanks,

Tom

How about a custom Hive Ukulele..

Jake Maclay living in your area now..i think Virginia..his ukes are beautifull..and worth the price in build quality and sound..you can work directly with him too

I thought my Pono mahogany concert sounded awesome until I laid it down, picked up and played a Kanilea concert. No comparison. I see like new ones for around $750 all the time.

As nice as a Collings is - is nobody suggesting going halfway on the cost - Kanile'a K1 Tenor?

I have one and it was much preferred over a Compass Rose in High or Low-G tuning. I picked up a KoAloha while I was in Hawaii and I like better still. However, it has an unwound Low-G which I think sounds better and feels better overall, but it take a sensitive technique to avoid it overpowering the other strings.

Thanks to all of you who responded. After much consideration I opted to by pass the Collings CT-1 and go with the Loprinzi AC-T. Several factors entered into my decision.... The price of the Loprinzi is almost half of what that Collings Ct-1 is. I'm very familiar with the guitars Loprinzi builds, both classical and steel string, and the sound and workmanship are excellent. The third factor is that though I want something to pass down to my grand kids..... it doesn't have to be a Collings.... the Loprinzi will be just fine. The most significant factor is the wood. I really like cherry as a tone wood. Also, I like the looks of it. I have a McSpadden Mountain dulcimer made of cherry and redwood and like the sound of it. So, there you have it. The ukulele should arrive in the next couple of days. Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Top Bottom