PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got A ukulele tattoo?

oldetymey
12-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Hey all,
I got a day off tommorow, and a little real estate left on the inside of my left elbow. Im thinking it might be a good time for a uke tattoo. Does anyone else have one they can share a pic of? Ive found some designs online but nothing so far that speaks to me. I like vintage/old school sailor jerry type designs. Post some pics if you have them!

Rubio MHS
12-30-2012, 05:10 PM
I've been thinking of getting a ukulele tattoo, but I'm kinda' working on a theme right now, based on "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner."

oldetymey
12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Ive got a theme going too. "Random crap I had inked in on a whim" its coming out great :) I usually design all my own but maybe Ill just hand this one off to my regular artist..

coolkayaker1
12-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Okay to ask again, fun subject.

Just for entertainment, there was a 96 post thread on this early summer 2012:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65587-cool-tattoo-got-me-wondering-if-any-of-you-have-a-ukulele-for-your-tattoos/page3&highlight=tattoo

oldetymey
12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Okay to ask again, fun subject.

Just for entertainment, there was a 96 post thread on this early summer 2012:
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65587-cool-tattoo-got-me-wondering-if-any-of-you-have-a-ukulele-for-your-tattoos/page3&highlight=tattoo

Ah, before my time I never think to search first. unfortunately no uke tattoo pics in there. I ve got my sketchbook and a bottle of seagrams out, so maybe something will pop out. With any luck the shop will have time for a walkin tommorow.

coolkayaker1
12-30-2012, 06:29 PM

Oldetymey, how about a vintage hula girl with ukulele! Click to enlarge

oldetymey
12-30-2012, 06:44 PM
I had considered that but for where I need to place it the scale wont fit. I especially like the one Chuck Moore uses as his logo. I like this one alot too.46884

oldetymey
12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
needs to be maybe 2 or so inches high and maybe 5 across......give or take

coolkayaker1
12-30-2012, 06:49 PM
You mean long and low, like this, oldtymey? (just add vintage uke in her hands)

DaveVisi
12-30-2012, 08:19 PM
No Ukulele, but music staff, ribbon style, transitioning from four lines (Uke Tab) to five lines (Standard notation) and finally to six lines (Guitar Tab)

The combined Treble/Bass Clef that you see in my avatar is in the middle.

NoahOathKeeper
12-30-2012, 09:20 PM
Ive been looking to get a ukulele tattoo ive got a Ankh thats bad faded from cheep ink ive though to get covered up with a ukulele

pdxuke
12-30-2012, 09:39 PM
http://shelleyrickey.blogspot.com/2010/07/tattoo-uke.html

Some interesting looking uke tattoos on this blog...

I've already crossed off "tattoo" on my bucket list, so I have to pass for now---but a few of these look sweet...

frankiefirefox
12-31-2012, 02:03 AM
I do love the Sailor Jerry style hula girl with the uke. So classic! That one is next

coolkayaker1
12-31-2012, 02:07 AM
I do love the Sailor Jerry style hula girl with the uke. So classic! That one is next
I like the one with her skirt falling off.

PhilUSAFRet
12-31-2012, 02:32 AM
Hmmm, not into tatoos, I'd spend the money on a tatoo uke.

oldetymey
12-31-2012, 03:58 AM
You mean long and low, like this, oldtymey? (just add vintage uke in her hands)

yeah like that...My wife would be liable to take a belt sander to that one in my sleep if I dared to get it. :)

oldetymey
12-31-2012, 04:00 AM

Yeah that one is pretty rad huh? I was actually looking in the mirror to see if there was a spot left that it would fit in. Might be able to sneak that one past the missus.

oldetymey
12-31-2012, 04:11 AM
Hmmm, not into tatoos, I'd spend the money on a tatoo uke.

Its not everyones cup of tea, but I enjoy it. I look at it kinda like an old beat up suitcase covered in travel stickers. It took alot of convincing to my wife to let me go one full sleeve. Now shes fine with it as long as I keep reasonably g rated
(no naked girls, and no skulls seem to be her rules). Im retiring as soon as I finish this left arm though. Have most of the line work done just the hours upon hours of shading and coloring. As for a uke, I have one of those already. It'd be jealous if I got another :)

bazmaz
12-31-2012, 05:11 AM
In just making my mind up on one, but do like the hula girl one on the Sailor Jerry bottle

ukeeku
12-31-2012, 05:13 AM
like this one
http://www.tattoo22.com/musictattoo005.jpg

Plainsong
12-31-2012, 05:57 AM
With not much space to play with, maybe an artist you trust could through something together that was a uke sitting in hibiscus flowers or something, maybe add a trad style banner. In our case, with the money we spend on ukes - Man's Ruin. :D

But it doesn't need the banner, and with not a lot of space, I think that could work well.

pdxuke
12-31-2012, 06:00 AM
I also like the Sailor Jerry hula girl with uke. My eye went right to that. Seems to fit. If that didn't take up so much real estate, I might go for it. I only have one (which is plenty) and it's smallish and can easily be hidden:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=46904&d=1356973168

coolkayaker1
12-31-2012, 06:35 AM
yeah like that...My wife would be liable to take a belt sander to that one in my sleep if I dared to get it. :)

Not if you put your wife's face on her.

Craig
01-01-2013, 05:25 PM
Not only yes....but HELL YES!!!! It's of my first Ko'olau that I still own and cherish:

oldetymey
01-02-2013, 01:22 AM
Not only yes....but HELL YES!!!! It's of my first Ko'olau that I still own and cherish:

There you go excellent! I took some rough sketches into the shop and the artist I usually work was going to mess with them. Well see what he comes up with.

Sporin
01-02-2013, 01:30 AM
I'd like to get a small ukulele tattoo on the "front" of my bicep. I want it to be more of a graphic representation rather then a literal picture of a uke. I want it to be be clear that it's a small 4 string with a general uke shape to the body but am otherwise open to ideas.

Something in the STYLE of this (but not this)...

http://media-cache0.pinterest.com/upload/217158013252111308_OJmFhVgG_b.jpg

Traditional Hawaiian design elements are great as well.

The Sailor/Hula Girl ones posted before are great, but not what I'm looking for.

And nothing too literal.

I want a minimalist, black design, lines and shapes, no bigger then about a business card.

I've put the idea to a my artist friends but just can't come up with the right thing yet.

Mim
01-02-2013, 02:42 AM
I am not getting a tatoo (thought I do love me some tatoo shows :) ) and I always joke around about what tattoo I would get if I ever did get one.

If I ever had a tattoo it would definately be my logo. Like Sporin said, I like the more graphic representation than literal. And I always wanted my logo to be like that! And Uncle E drew one up for me and it was like he picked it out of my brain! So it would definately be my "Mim" logo! Someone even asked once on facebook if they could use it for a tattoo, to which I explained they sure, BUT... they would have to realize they were getting "MiM" tattooed on them. It is 2 facing Ms for the body and an upside down i makes the neck and soundhole. Not obvious, but it is there to me. So, they went in another direction. Ha! I am glad they asked first, instead of doing it and realizing later (though if someone wants "MiM" tattooed on them, you can use it! Ha!) I also had a graphic designer for a major uke company want to steal it... he did not realize it was mine and in hindsite I should have said "SURE! Slap it on all your ukes!" And then said BAZINGA! You just put MiM on everything!

Anyway, this would be my tattoo... very small... if I ever got a tattoo. I may make some temporary tattoos out of it!

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z446/MimsUkes/MimLogo_zps2c616676.jpg

Mim
01-02-2013, 02:43 AM
like this one
http://www.tattoo22.com/musictattoo005.jpg

Wait! Is that yours? And if so, how come I never noticed it?!

Either way, this tattoo is all sorts of awesome. I love the cutouts with the design. Makes it look like under the skin the flesh is all sorts of colorful awesomeness!

ukeeku
01-02-2013, 02:57 AM
Wait! Is that yours? And if so, how come I never noticed it?!

Either way, this tattoo is all sorts of awesome. I love the cutouts with the design. Makes it look like under the skin the flesh is all sorts of colorful awesomeness!

Not mine. wished it was. I have a nasty guitar one that I need to rework. I will show you it at NAMM

Mim
01-02-2013, 03:09 AM
Not mine. wished it was. I have a nasty guitar one that I need to rework. I will show you it at NAMM

Perfect for Tattoo Nightmares...

not that it is a nightmare... except... your like a uke dude... so it would be funny to have a guitar tattoo turned into a uke tattoo!

(Yep... love me my tattoo shows)