noob question

carpekd

Reaction score
Steel string? hmmm interesting, Not sure if i'd like that on a uke......

As far as that ovation goes. Any ovation (applause) instrument is going to sound better plugged in. They are made to be plugged in. Here is a link to youtube of a guy playing that applause uke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhJSxri53A8

Now, As an engineer, I love ovation (applause) instruments for recording. As far as an applause ukulele for recording. I wouldn't do it. Because it doesn't have that natural tone quality of a typical ukulele. Thats because Applause instruments are made with that plastic rounded back.......

People buy ovations for their distinct sound and feel.......

It might just be me that hears them differences, Heck I can name specific guitars when I am listening to the radio. I am a perfectionist when it comes to sound lol........

If you want a fuller sounding ukulele. You can always get a 6 or 8 string uke. My first uke was a Lanikai 8 string Tenor......Thats only if your going with sound...4 strings are much easier to learn on....I bought my uke looking for a specific sound....

Happy hunting!! :nana:

That string is not a steel string. It is a Wound Nylon string, similar to what you would find on a Classical Guitar. Some people like it, some people don't. I think it is a bit louder, but I don't like the feel of it.

It won't be a solid steel string it'll be nylon core with metal wound round it. They do sound a bit more zingy than the plain ones. It adds mass to the string so that it can be thinner than the equivalently tensioned plain string I think.

its just a personal preference i think. Its more of what you want to hear, whether than what sounds better. I personally dont like the sound of a steel string on any uke besides a baritone, but if you like the sound thats fine. Also, i get worried that the wound strings will scratch my already dinged up uke. So no I dont use them at all. But go with what you like.

Top Bottom