Your Ukes name?

Johnny Uke

Reaction score
I just recently created a Instagram account Dedicated to the ukulele, (@crazy_uke if any wants to Follow, leave comment that your from UU For an instant follow back)
And noticed when I #ukulele A lot of people name their ukes!

Does anyone here have a name for your Uke? What's it's name and how did you come up with it? Did it just look like a Lucy?

I usually refer to my Compass Rose as "Aunt Jemima" because she's sweet and very maple-y. She also "takes her own sweeeet time" learning the songs I want to play... well, maybe that's me, but it fits with her name.

The Lanikai's name is "For Sale" :D

Dean

I just call them by their brand. Ohana, Luna, Harmony... When I had one I just said my uke.
When I was in band in high school and college, I knew people who named their instruments. I never got into it.

Some of them have names, but most of them don't. My Griffin tenor is The McLaren, the pink Dolphin is Rose, the white Dolphin is Axl (there's a story behind that relating to real dolphins), the Blackbird is William, the Pono all-rosewood tenor is George, the Pono baritone is Tone, to give a few examples.

Here is a link to an old thread on the same topic: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?28447-Best-ukulele-names

To answer your question...

My first ukulele, a Hawaiian Ukulele Company soprano, is Leilani (which means heavenly blossoms).
My Kamaka HF-3 tenor, is named Pele after the Hawaiian fire goddess. I thought that the curls in the koa reminded me of lava flows.
My Kamoa soprano is "Koloa" since that is the part of Kauai where I visit the people that gave her to me.
My KoAloha tenor is "Lono," the Hawaiian god of music.
My Kamoa Kauai built uke is "Kahi Ko'ola Uhane," or place where the spirit resides since it was built in Kauai, my favorite spot on Earth.
My Kanilea Island Inlay Premium tenor is "Ailana," or island, in Hawaiian.
Finally, there is my KoAloha Pineapple Sunday, named Makana, or "gift" since Papa let me pick her myself.

Ativan (my Kala) and Buzz (my Luna)

Sort of embarrassing, but I recently (after saving up for a while) bought a Mya Moe' uke and named it Excalibur. It plays like it's enchanted. I didn't name my other ukes, though now I'm considering it.

-- Roy/xerhino

Well, I bought my most recent (a new Martin 2K, fabulous voice!) at Willie's American Guitars so I thought about naming it Willie.
But thinking about saying, "let's go play with my little Willie" made me think otherwise!
Uke will remain unnamed for now.

Last edited:
Not really a name, so to say, They seem to have a personality. My cheapest uke , a Kohala is "the beater", my Stagg is "the Bad", my Ohana Sopranino is "The Traveler", my Kala KA-8 is "My main Axe"...then there is my Lanikai LU-22 "The Renegade". I hardly play that one, I just have a preferance for soprano or smaller.

I don't have my uke yet (probably in February I will though!) but I came up with names while first researching. I guess I go a bit crazy :rolleyes: I was thinking Manuku, which from my understanding means bird-like. I'm pretty big into birds and have even made possible designs featuring my parrots to paint on my uke (which is cheap and won't mind a little paint!)

I don't usually name my ukes but my Kala exotic mahogany uke is named CANDY. I was going to use the letters I made out of window cling paint, which spelled "candy" to enter a contest on UU but never got around to recording it. Since I had the letters anyway I put 'em on her.

My first uke (Kala KA-TEM) is named Tim. My Gibson Uke-1 is Little Fred. My Pono MBD is unnamed, as is my Rogue.

If I name them, I have to keep them. My two tenors are named The Patrick cause it was made for me and the other is called The Griffin in honor of Brian Griffin, the man who made it.

Top Bottom