New Years Resolution/UU Search Feature

tobinsuke

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Happy New Year to all.

I am not really one for New Years resolutions, but this year I have one. I resolve to stop asking stupid questions on this forum. By stupid I mean questions that have already been asked and answered a dozen times. Sure, I am aware that UU has a search feature, but...

Back when I first started using this forum I gave the search feature the old college try. I searched things like scale length, bridge placement - topics that have definitely been covered and then some. Ironically, each time I searched for these common topics the result list was topped by a Pete Howlett post in which he politely suggested using the search feature before posting questions about, well, scale length and bridge placement, etc. [this doesn't seem to be the case anymore as more recent posts top the result list]. That did make me smile, but it did not get me closer to answers.

And so I have posted a few of "those" questions. To be fair, many of you exhibit considerable generosity and patience in helping out newbies with these perennial topics. But as a firm believer in doing one's own homework before involving others, I want to believe that my problem with the search feature is only my ineptitude.

I do have better success going outside the forum to Google and searching for "insert topic of interest here: ukuleleunderground.com".

And still it seems to me that there must be some tips to using the built-in search feature. There has been so much time put into this forum that it seems wasteful to miss out on what has already been said.

Does anyone have any tips/tricks related to the UU search feature? I would appreciate the help, as it might just help me keep my resolution.

Tobin Crooks

Use google search with this parameter inserting the topic or subject after forum; site:ukuleleunderground.com/forum

Alright then. Thank you. And I hope no one thought I was knocking the site with my original post. This is a great resource and community. I just meant that I didn't want to be a "drag on the system." Thanks again.

It's a pretty common complaint that the search feature here doesn't work that well. There have been a couple of times that I've tried to find one of my own posts and had difficulty doing so (part of the problem being, of course, that I post too much :) ). As others have mentioned, google searches with the "site" parameter work much better - of course, search is what Google does. :)

I'm not sure how much the limited search here is the fault of the bulletin board software and how much of it is the configuration of the back-end database. A good database person (which I am not) can do wonders to improve search results via configuration and "tuning" of the database. Google can afford to hire entire teams of well-paid folks who specialize in that sort of thing while I suspect the UU staff can't quite afford that. LOL

John

There you go! :)

Nice one, Niq.

Tobin, although it doesn't answer your question, here's a funny video based on the same subject you raise. lol

That's a brilliant little link. It works really well and much better than the on site search bar.

Top Bottom