Aquilas vs Flourocarbons: About Thinness

devvyleys

Reaction score
I've got a spruce top concert that's strung with Aquilas and it's in need of a string change since they're getting a little worn. I thought given the opportunity that I might try some Martin Flourocarbons. But someone recently mentioned that flourocarbons are thinner than Aquilas and someone said that Aquilas could start buzzing when they need changing because the coating gets worn down so they sink lower in the nut. (That's what's going on for me now.)

So if that's the case, would there be enough difference in the thinness of the Martins compared to new Aquilas that I could get the same buzzing I'm currently trying to fix with a string change?

I've got a spruce top concert that's strung with Aquilas and it's in need of a string change since they're getting a little worn. I thought given the opportunity that I might try some Martin Flourocarbons. But someone recently mentioned that flourocarbons are thinner than Aquilas and someone said that Aquilas could start buzzing when they need changing because the coating gets worn down so they sink lower in the nut. (That's what's going on for me now.)

So if that's the case, would there be enough difference in the thinness of the Martins compared to new Aquilas that I could get the same buzzing I'm currently trying to fix with a string change?

I'm not 100% sure because I don't know how your uke was set up, but I would not think that changing to Martin strings should chnge your basic intonation issues. As you correctly pointed out, the nature of the buzz is the wearing of the strings.

The good news is, there is an easy fix if the Martins don't work out--put on a new set of Aquilas.

Let us know!

Strings are cheap. You should play with whatever strings came on your uke until you are comfortable and familiar with the sound and playability of the instrument. Once those stock strings get into the "worn" category, try experimenting with a couple of different brands. They take a bit of time to settle in, so don't get crazy with it, but do try a couple and see how you like them.

Different string brands have different feel on your fingers, a different look (white vs red vs clear, etc), and a different sound. I prefer Aquilas on my ukes, but Worth works better on my KoAloha concert. There is no wrong answer.

As I said, strings are cheap, try a few. If there is a ukulele club nearby, pay them a visit and learn from them. It's all good.

I agree with above. Try a bunch of stings. I ordered a whole bunch of string brands to try on my ukes. I put them on for a few days and play. If I don't like them I take them off and switch it out for something else ( I save the little used stings for a rainy day). Strings are just about the cheapest thing you could buy for your ukulele but they can cause a dramatic change in sound and playability.

Of over a dozen ukes that I've switched from Aquila to fluorocarbons I've only had one buzz. I have had a couple of cases where with the Aquila strings a slot would have needed to be lowered a tad to get spot-on intonation at the first fret - but I didn't do it because I knew I was going to put fluorocarbons on and, sure 'nuff, when I put the fluorocarbons on the intonation was fine at the first fret - that could be because the string sat a little deeper or because fluorocarbon is not as stretchy and thus less prone to pulling sharp - I have no idea which - I still have a supply of hyphens left so I think I am going to use hyphens to replace all punctuation from now on... :)

John

I've changed from Aquila to fluorocarbons (Either Worth or Living Water) on all but one of my ukes and had no problems with buzzing.

Ha ha jon, you're funny!

Top Bottom