Commenting preferences?

filipinouker

Reaction score
It's only occurred to me today... Some of you leave comments on videos on the forum, while others leave comments on videos on YouTube.
When i joined UU (last August) i used to leave video comments on the forum. Increasingly, i began leaving comments on YouTube, as i watch/listen.

What do YOU prefer? Whenever YOU post a video, do you prefer to receive comments in the forum thread, or do you prefer to receive comments on YouTube?

Or is there a guide to "commenting etiquette" that I've overlooked?

Ta.

I don't think there is a "right way" or "wrong way" - typically, I watch the videos in place here in the forum so I tend to comment here. I have tried to get out of the habit of copying the whole post and commenting on each one individually, though. I try to remember to use the "multi quote" button. Unfortunately, I think I sometimes inadvertently drop some that way, though.

I also try to remember to take the embedded videos out of the quoted sections. I know some people are on slow connections and even loading the "thumbnail" view of several movies can really slow down the page for them.

John

I've made the move to commenting on YouTube. That's where I prefer to see people leave comments on my vids, so that's where I leave my comments, too. Of course I'll accept comments no matter where they're posted, but it is nice to have them all in one place.

- FiL

I do both.
Because I have been hosting Season 46 I have made a special point of making a comment on every entrant's YouTube video.
In other Seasons I have usually made my comments within the thread. Since being shown how, I always remove the video when I use the "Reply With Quote" link and I don't show my signature just to keep the threads more manageable. It can be quite time consuming going through trying to make sure you have checked out every video that has been posted especially when you leave it a few days.
That's when the playlists are handy. They are linked straight from YouTube and it then becomes easier to post a comment there.
Haven't come across the "Multi-quote" (Oh, it's the little speech cloud in the corner) and might give that one a try some time.
As FiL said I am sure comments are always appreciated no matter where they are placed.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

I find going straight to the playlist and listening/commenting on YouTube easiest, but i do wonder if that makes me look a little "antisocial" (i.e., looking absent from threads).

Thanks for the replies - very helpful.

I find going straight to the playlist and listening/commenting on YouTube easiest, but i do wonder if that makes me look a little "antisocial" (i.e., looking absent from threads).

I don't think it's anti social at all. You Tube will send you an email when you have a comment on your video so you know one has been made.

I always used to comment on the thread but I find it easier and quicker to comment on You Tube as you can do it while you are listening or immediately after (I turn the auto play 'off' if I use the play list). I still sometimes comment on the thread. If I am hosting a week I make a point of commenting on everyone's entry and bonus track on the thread. That is part of the duties of a host and in that case, the proper place for the hosts comments is on the thread in my view. I've noticed that some recent hosts have taken to commenting on both and that is good but a host shouldn't feel he or she has to follow that model.

I believe the host should comment on each entry, and in the thread itself. The expectation for a host is to acknowledge each guest at the party.

I try to comment on all the YouTube entries so as to encourage the players at various levels. But I also comment in the threads for an unusual/favorite song, or to make a fuss over a newbie.
Everyone likes to receive a thoughtful comment! (Otherwise we could play by ourselves at home.) I know one contributor who has pulled back from posting because he didn't have time to comment throughout, and he felt self-conscious about receiving feedback without giving any.

It used to be that many people commented in the thread (sometimes including the video each time), and the threads got so long that it was confusing. It's fun to get comments in the thread, but the trend to posting on YouTube has made the threads more manageable.

It's only occurred to me today... Some of you leave comments on videos on the forum, while others leave comments on videos on YouTube.
When i joined UU (last August) i used to leave video comments on the forum. Increasingly, i began leaving comments on YouTube, as i watch/listen.

What do YOU prefer? Whenever YOU post a video, do you prefer to receive comments in the forum thread, or do you prefer to receive comments on YouTube?

Or is there a guide to "commenting etiquette" that I've overlooked?

Ta.

I don't know what the etiquette is, but I prefer to get comments over on my YouTube channel. Or best of all, in both places. :p

CountryMouse

I know one contributor who has pulled back from posting because he didn't have time to comment throughout, and he felt self-conscious about receiving feedback without giving any.

I'm in total sympathy with him. I apologize to all my fellow Seasonistas that I haven't been able to find more time to comment on their videos the last couple of months. I'm only hoping I'll be able to watch everyone's videos (and comment) promptly when I host in a few weeks.

I really appreciate all comments given, whether on my YT channel, a FB page or on a UU thread. I endeavour to respond to each one and manage to do so in the vast majority of cases. Occasionally, for whatever reason, I am unable to write a response, but this is rare. Sometimes I will give a "general" thank-you or answer to a number of people that have made similar points. I have always been very happy to do this.

Isn't it interesting, that there are new players out there who are "hunting" for new subscribers in a bid to gain recognition, but who fail to realise that simple politeness and courtesy will help them to achieve their aim?

I try to comment on all the YouTube entries so as to encourage the players at various levels. But I also comment in the threads for an unusual/favorite song, or to make a fuss over a newbie. ... ...
Everyone likes to receive a thoughtful comment! It's fun to get comments in the thread, but the trend to posting on YouTube has made the threads more manageable.

I have benefitted from this GT3T11. I remember the feeling of great encouragement when i first received comments - it enabled me to make the first few steps out of my shell. I'd hate to think what I would be doing now if I did not discover UU forum and did not "meet" you. Probably strumming my uke, alone, in a dark, lonely cave!

I guess this is the reason why i asked the question at the start of this thread: i wanted to do what was most pleasing/encouraging for others. It would seem that ALL encouraging comments are appreciated - whether they are left on the forum thread or on YouTube.

Isn't it interesting, that there are new players out there who are "hunting" for new subscribers in a bid to gain recognition, but who fail to realise that simple politeness and courtesy will help them to achieve their aim?

Absolutely agree - politeness and courtesy should be fundamental to any communication and in any forum, and regardless of whether one gains subscribers or not. Until recently, I didn't know what it meant or implied to have subscribers or to subscribe to others - a fairly new concept for me!

I like comments on youtube especially if they are witty or profound, or if they
offer some critique, or give some background info regarding the song that I was
unaware of. A real comment for me expresses some idea and I can see that some
thought and effort went into writing it.

I am at a loss as to how to reply to one word comments like Wow! or Awesome!
They may indeed be comments but I don't think much thought went into their
construction.

I would classify a comment at least having a couple or more sentences, and in those cases
I always try and reply in kind. The finest comments are those that generate some sort of
extended dialogue, which I think is most enjoyable when I stumble across it on other peoples
channels.

I'm very appreciative of any YouTube comments people make. But I usually don't respond to YouTube comments unless someone asks me a question. YouTube just seems to me to be a strange place to hold a conversation.

I may not have anything more useful to say in a comment on someone's video than Wow! or Awesome! But I may comment anyway just because it's more personal to have my name attached to "I like this" than to anonymously click the like button.

If I had two procedure for commenting it would be (and it sort of has been):

1. I would comment on a particular video on YouTube so the whole YouTube world could see the comment.

B. I would comment toward any particulars of the Challenge on the UU Thread because it would only be understood there anyway. (If you've never seen the movie Home Alone 1 then you don't get the B, it's a joke.)

I have only been doing the seasons since the British invasion and have loved being a part of it all since then. I am working on my forum skills as well as ukulele skills so forgive me for being a novice at the forum thing as well as a clown on the ukulele.

What are we talking about? Oh yeah, commenting. I like using the playlist link and that is when I make my comments on youtube but I love reading the conversations that are taking place in the forum. So when there's a fork in the road I go down one then come back and take the other.

I asked my wife which banjo of mine she liked best. She said "The one you aren't playing".

Last edited:
I'm another who has evolved to mostly commenting on youtube, mainly because the threads got so long, cluttered and cumbersome.

I'm very appreciative of any YouTube comments people make. But I usually don't respond to YouTube comments unless someone asks me a question. YouTube just seems to me to be a strange place to hold a conversation.

^^^^
This!
I hope no one thinks me rude because I don't thank them for their comments.

What's considered good manners varies among individuals and cultures, obviously. There are some extremely polite folks here.

Hey Rex! We started the Seasons the same week! Does that make us classmates or something? (I was too nervous to notice any other newcomers.)

I have started commenting more on YouTube so that the rest of the world can see how great I think you all are, but I enjoy the conversation going on in the thread as well. I may post a comment that simply says I enjoyed a video, but I do not expect everyone to reply to my every comment. I will assume that if I say something nice you appreciate it. Also, I've started using the playlist more to make sure I wasn't missing any videos, so I am watching in YouTube more than I used to and sometimes it is easier to comment there.

But as to my own videos, wherever you want to post a comment is fine with me. I'm just thankful to have such a supportive a group of kind and talented people to hang out with. I've received some very nice comments that have kept me going and given me lots of encouragement. Like you, filipinouker, I would be playing my 'uke all alone in the dark without everyone here!

What are we talking about? Oh yeah, commenting. I like using the playlist link and that is when I make my comments on youtube but I love reading the conversations that are taking place in the forum. So when there's a fork in the road I go down one then come back and take the other.

I'm another who has evolved to mostly commenting on youtube, mainly because the threads got so long, cluttered and cumbersome.
I hope no one thinks me rude because I don't thank them for their comments.

What's considered good manners varies among individuals and cultures, obviously. There are some extremely polite folks here.

Once all my comments were left on the thread. As the Season entries grew (and the thread along with it) it became easier to go to the playlist and make comments on YouTube. But I too like to read the thread and when I happen to see a posted vid I like and it's convenient I'll just comment there.
Having been on YT almost since the beginning I remember a time when it was the YT culture to answer all your comments (that was early on before Google bought YT and it was more of a true community of folks who just liked to vlog and everyone subscribed to everyone else). I still answer my comments when I have time but some weeks that's just not possible. So no ~dave~~wave~ - no one thinks you're rude. And wee_ginga_yin sometimes all I can say about your vids is "Awesome!":eek:

You'll never guess who just commented on my first Seasons video ever.

The writer of the song, himself, Rick Evans. :cool:

Rick Evans commented 6 hours ago
The "Show More" text contains misinformation. Zager wrote no part of "In the Year 2525." Music & lyrics were written and are owned by Richard (Rick) S. Evans. U.S. ©1968 #EU47617. Publisher: Zerlad Music owned by Evans. Verify on Internet: BMI.com (Broadcast Music, Inc.) Cursor on "search" top far right. Zager wrote no part of any songs or arrangements thereof, on two subsequent RCA albums.

Top Bottom