How do I know when my ukulele needs restringing?

Reaction score
Hopefully wont need mine restringing for a while yet! But just wanted to know how I'd know when it needs restringing? Also, do I do it myself or go to a music shop? Won't restringing it myself make it sound worse (isn't part of the 'professional set-up' that the ukulele had professional stringing)? Thanks. :)

When should you restring your ukulele? When it sounds or feels 'off' to you. That's what it comes down to. Restringing is dead easy, and it should be something you can do yourself.

No need to get a professional to restring the uke. While part of a setup often entails putting strings that are more suitable for the uke on it that's not where the real skill is needed - the skilled part of the setup is adjusting the height of nut slots, making sure frets are level, rounded, and polished, and adjusting the height of the bridge saddle.

Depending on what kind of strings are on the uke, your playing style, and how much you play, strings can last anywhere from a few weeks to several months or more. Generally speaking fluorocarbon strings (Worth clear and brown, Martin 600, and several other brands) are very tough and stable and will last a long time (several times longer than simple nylon strings for me). Aquila strings have a covering that will wear fairly quickly - I use my nails a lot and I can pretty much destroy a set of those in three weeks or so on a uke I play a lot.

John

I am what I'd consider a newbie as well, I've been playing for about a year and I've been playing a lot lately. The first time I changed my strings I had it done at a shop. I bought a spare set at that time so I'd have them handy, I have felt like they needed changing again as the sound seemed muddy and buzzy.

So where do you learn how ? Right here . I searched and read a bunch of threads about changing strings and found links to some utube videos. I've been dreading doing this but finally sat done this morning and got it done. In a good hours playing afterwards they are finally stretched out and staying close to being in tune.

While it might not seem significant to many here I feel quite satisfied with myself and my Ukulele sounds great so it seems like they did in fact need a change.

....and now I know how.

I typically get about two months out of my players, and I can tell you when they go south, they go fast. I feel it first in the C string, just starts to sound a little off, and then they all tend to go "dull" (not nearly the same resonance). My wife gets nearly a year out of string-just depends on how you play, how much you play, and what you are strung with.
Changing them is a snap and wont tax you too hard I am sure, but it is really nice to watch someone do it the first time. Everyone has their own preferred saddle and machine head loops but if you do one at a time you ought to be able to match what was done when your Ukulele was set up.

Top Bottom