PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a new ukulele!

teruterubouzu
01-01-2013, 06:22 AM
I bought my first ukulele on a whim when I saw it for 50% off on Amazon. I'd wanted one for years and couldn't say no to the price. It is an adorable little Johnson Pineapple. I found out it wasn't exactly a quality instrument, but it was what I needed to realize I really enjoyed playing.

That ukulele arrived last Friday and now, less than a week later, I've ordered another one! After a lot of poking around on the internet and watching youtube videos, I settled on the Kala KA-CEM. It seems like the perfect beginner ukulele and, since I ordered it from Hawaii Music Supply, I'm excited about having a properly set up instrument.

Had to share here because I don't think any of my real life friends would get why I'm so excited! Whee!

pdxuke
01-01-2013, 06:23 AM
Congrats on your latest move! Hooray! Pics when you get it!

guitharsis
01-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Congrats. We're excited for you.

vanflynn
01-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Congrats on the new Uke.

And

now

comes

the

wait.

Hope you don't go nuts checking the shipping tracker for updates (like I do)!

kvehe
01-01-2013, 06:58 AM
Yay! Ordering a uke is the most exciting thing, isn't it? It's a great feeling to know that even if our real-life friends don't "get it", there's a whole community of folks here who do, and who are always happy to share in your fun. I know how it is, too, because I did the same thing - ordered one from Amazon on a whim and was back in the market within a few days...and the rest is history!

teruterubouzu
01-01-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks for sharing my excitement everyone. You are a very welcoming bunch!

And yes, the wait is already killing me.

Big_e
01-01-2013, 08:03 AM
Be careful! The joy of unwrapping a new uke that has just been delivered to you or you bought from a trustworthy store is highly addictive! It must be done slowly and deliberately.

Katz-in-Boots
01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm about to do the same thing! Although I've only had my Lanikai Tenor for a few weeks, already I want to get a concert ukulele.
I was almost jumping up & down with excitement when the Lanikai arrived, the delivery man loves customers who are so happy to see them.

remy26
01-01-2013, 02:19 PM
Way to go! It's a slippery slope, isn't it? :D

Congrats on the new uke!

Karasu
01-02-2013, 07:21 AM
A slippery slope is an understatement. My first Uke was the Kala KA-TEM, and I LOVED it. Aquila strings, nice tone and good intonation. Of course, I purchased it from HMS and they set it up wonderfully. 2 months later, I knew the Ukulele was for me, or I was for it.....I make my way back to HMS and had a nice long conversation with Andrew. Result? I'm now the proud owner of the Pono Acacia Tenor Cutaway with Cedar top shown in my sig...click on it for details. Here's mine:

I LOVE playing the Pono. I also love the Kala. I'm so stricken with UAS, it's embarrassing. Currently, I'm saving for a Mya-Moe Classic Tenor...........

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
01-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Have fun with your Kala!

molokinirum
01-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Congratulations!!! Ordering from HMS is a smart move!!!

teruterubouzu
01-03-2013, 01:16 AM
It does feel good to know you ordered from a shop everyone speaks very highly of. And it is a slippery slope -- I think I may have converted my boyfriend to the joy of ukulele. There may be a Kala KA-CG or a Gretsch G9110 in his very near future. I'm also pondering my next ukulele, but first things first.

And @Karasu, your Pono is absolutely gorgeous!

vanflynn
01-03-2013, 03:10 AM
Not to encourage UAS, but did you notice the HMS blemish page? http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukuele-market/vintage-used-blem-specials.html

Some great deals to be had there. Just saying :rolleyes:

teruterubouzu
01-03-2013, 03:34 AM
Not to encourage UAS, but did you notice the HMS blemish page? http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukuele-market/vintage-used-blem-specials.html

Some great deals to be had there. Just saying :rolleyes:

You are terrible, @vanflynn. ;) But yes, I did peruse that page. If only I had $1200 so I could buy that 1920s Martin. I'm a bit of a silent movie buff and it would be fun to have a ukulele of that vintage even though I'm not worthy of it yet.

Bonus clip featuring one of my favorite sirens of the silver screen, Clara Bow. ETA: the embed seems to ignore the part of the URL to make the clip start at 0:53. (http://youtu.be/BvmzET12lA0?t=53s)

http://youtu.be/BvmzET12lA0?t=53s

teruterubouzu
01-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Hmm, I tried to reply, but it ate my post.

You are an enabler @vanflynn. ;) I did check out that site and eyed that 1920s Martin. Too bad it's $1900! I love silent films and it would be fun to have a ukulele from that era.

brutaldiver
01-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Congrats on your new purchase!
I too ordered a new uke from HMS recently. Last Sunday, on the 31st.
I went and ordered the Pono MS w/Micro Blemish. A Christmas gift to myself this year.
My first Uke !!!
It Looked like too good a deal to pass up... $379 marked down to $179 .I've been glued to the front window looming for the FedEx guy since wednesday! Although, I have yet to hear from HMS on whether it has gone out yet or not.
It's killing me! Lol

gyosh
01-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I bought my first ukulele on a whim when I saw it for 50% off on Amazon. I'd wanted one for years and couldn't say no to the price. It is an adorable little Johnson Pineapple. I found out it wasn't exactly a quality instrument, but it was what I needed to realize I really enjoyed playing.

That ukulele arrived last Friday and now, less than a week later, I've ordered another one! After a lot of poking around on the internet and watching youtube videos, I settled on the Kala KA-CEM. It seems like the perfect beginner ukulele and, since I ordered it from Hawaii Music Supply, I'm excited about having a properly set up instrument.

Had to share here because I don't think any of my real life friends would get why I'm so excited! Whee!

I've actually made many "real life" friends right here on the threads.

Welcome to UU and congrats on the purchases :)

teruterubouzu
01-05-2013, 03:05 AM
I too ordered a new uke from HMS recently. Last Sunday, on the 31st.
I went and ordered the Pono MS w/Micro Blemish. A Christmas gift to myself this year.
My first Uke !!!

That's awesome @brutaldiver. It looks like a beautiful instrument. The waiting is so difficult! I keep checking my order status on HMS.

And thanks again for the encouragement everyone. I will post a photo when it arrives!

teruterubouzu
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
Whee! I got the shipping notice from HMS today. Now the obsessive fedex tracking begins!

vanflynn
01-09-2013, 05:34 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uoLoyg3JKRQ

Don't wear out the update button on te shipping tracker website!

vanflynn
01-09-2013, 05:37 PM

Don't wear out the update button on the shipping tracker website!

Kyle23
01-09-2013, 06:56 PM
Whee! I got the shipping notice from HMS today. Now the obsessive fedex tracking begins!

Fedex tracking had me so frustrated, because the only updates I ever get from them is when it ships out and when it's in your city lol, no in between.

Katz-in-Boots
01-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Ooh, I just ordered a new ukulele too - from HMS. It is an Islander Solid (Mahogany) Concert-MSC4. I looked at so many online but kept coming back to this one. I've opted for the passive Pono pickup, so I guess it'll be a while before it's on the way.

Don't know what I'll do with my time now I don't have to research ukes. Hit the tracking button I guess :D

teruterubouzu
01-10-2013, 01:16 AM

Don't wear out the update button on the shipping tracker website!

Ahh, nostalgia!

Fedex tracking had me so frustrated, because the only updates I ever get from them is when it ships out and when it's in your city lol, no in between.

You're right about that, but it was fun seeing HONOLULU in bold print when I checked it yesterday. It is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

Ooh, I just ordered a new ukulele too - from HMS. It is an Islander Solid (Mahogany) Concert-MSC4. I looked at so many online but kept coming back to this one. I've opted for the passive Pono pickup, so I guess it'll be a while before it's on the way.

Don't know what I'll do with my time now I don't have to research ukes. Hit the tracking button I guess :D

Congratulations, Katz-in-Boots! That's a beautiful instrument. I suppose you could start researching your next ukulele. :)

LutzSpearo
01-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Have fun with your new uke when you get it, I hope it's everything you are expecting! I checked their deals page last night too, that Kala lacewood is beautiful and looks like a steal! Plus, aren't they going to stop making those? Anyway, hope you get your new uke soon!

TG&Y
01-10-2013, 02:30 AM
Congratulations! And here's a song to work on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKlKsFbCJk

teruterubouzu
01-10-2013, 02:43 AM
Have fun with your new uke when you get it, I hope it's everything you are expecting! I checked their deals page last night too, that Kala lacewood is beautiful and looks like a steal! Plus, aren't they going to stop making those? Anyway, hope you get your new uke soon!

Thank you! I'm rather obsessed with the Luna Solid Mahogany Concert Electric they have on that page. The inlay is beautiful and it would be fun to be able to plug into an amp and maybe add some effects. I think you should buy that Kala lacewood.

Congratulations! And here's a song to work on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKlKsFbCJk

Ha! I really should learn that song already.

LutzSpearo
01-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Thank you! I'm rather obsessed with the Luna Solid Mahogany Concert Electric they have on that page. The inlay is beautiful and it would be fun to be able to plug into an amp and maybe add some effects. I think you should buy that Kala lacewood.

So how long does the tracking info say until you get it? I'm looking forward to seeing it! Yes, I agree I should pick up that Lacewood uke, and rationalize it by saying it will be a surprise gift for my wife, who has expressed an interest in taking lessons. She should appreciate it, then if she doesn't like playing, I'll inherit it! :) I'm calling HMS in the morning to see the deal with shipping overseas.

teruterubouzu
01-11-2013, 05:16 AM
So how long does the tracking info say until you get it? I'm looking forward to seeing it! Yes, I agree I should pick up that Lacewood uke, and rationalize it by saying it will be a surprise gift for my wife, who has expressed an interest in taking lessons. She should appreciate it, then if she doesn't like playing, I'll inherit it! :) I'm calling HMS in the morning to see the deal with shipping overseas.

It's out on the truck for delivery! Keep us posted about the Lacewood. I'm buying another uke soon too - a gretsch concert for my boyfriend.

Kyle23
01-11-2013, 06:40 AM
Where the heck is it! :)

teruterubouzu
01-11-2013, 10:37 AM
It's here! I wish I could play it, but my co-workers would lose it. This will be a fun weekend.

Kyle23
01-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Pics please!

teruterubouzu
01-11-2013, 10:52 AM
I have one pic. Lets see if I can post it here with my iPad. 47444

Well, the photo is upside down, but you get the idea.

vanflynn
01-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Wowzer, nice!

Hope you don't have anything else to do this weekend.

Congrats and enjoy

teruterubouzu
01-12-2013, 05:56 AM
Thanks again, everyone! I finally got to tune it this morning and play it a little. It's a bit strange to use the geared tuners after getting used to the friction tuners on my first ukulele, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it. It plays SO MUCH better than that cute little pineapple I bought off of Amazon. Here are a couple more photos.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/540e55a1838b8bfb55552a36239a7930/tumblr_mgiutuvWrn1s39rrqo1_400.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/a36ceaebbeeaaf52bdf94a8b46909534/tumblr_mgiutuvWrn1s39rrqo2_400.jpg

Kyle23
01-12-2013, 07:42 AM
Really love that color. Very nice uke.

remy26
01-12-2013, 08:02 AM
Beautiful ukulele! Love the color and the grain pattern!

teruterubouzu
01-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Thanks, I think it's awfully pretty too. I was second guessing myself after I ordered it, but now that I have it, really love the color and grain of the wood.

After mulling it over, I decided to sign up for group ukulele lessons yesterday. We meet for 4 weeks and then have a "recital" at a local venue.

Here's a video from a group that wrapped up last fall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmbIS_yvCIk

I'm usually too shy for anything like this, but it should be fun.

kvehe
01-14-2013, 02:26 AM
You will have a blast. I take small-group lessons (this term there are just two of us!) at the Folk School of St. Louis, and there is a "Student Showcase" at a local music venue at the end of the fall I session (October) and the end of the winter session (March). I spent the entire fall I term dreading it and trying to think of a creative, never-been-used-before excuse to get out of it, but I was a brave girl and went ahead and had absolutely the best time (!). And yes, for sure, cool uke, neat grain. Congrats!

LutzSpearo
01-14-2013, 02:57 AM
Very pretty ukelele, nice choice! How long did it take from when you placed the order until they actually shipped it?

I'm jealous you get to take group lessons, I think that sounds like a ton of fun! Keep us posted on how it goes!

vanflynn
01-14-2013, 03:01 AM
Have fun and get a vid of the recital!

teruterubouzu
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM
You will have a blast. I take small-group lessons (this term there are just two of us!) at the Folk School of St. Louis, and there is a "Student Showcase" at a local music venue at the end of the fall I session (October) and the end of the winter session (March). I spent the entire fall I term dreading it and trying to think of a creative, never-been-used-before excuse to get out of it, but I was a brave girl and went ahead and had absolutely the best time (!). And yes, for sure, cool uke, neat grain. Congrats!

Thanks for the encouragement. This is definitely outside my comfort zone!

Very pretty ukelele, nice choice! How long did it take from when you placed the order until they actually shipped it?

I'm jealous you get to take group lessons, I think that sounds like a ton of fun! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Thanks! I placed my order on 1/1 and it was shipped on 1/9. Andrew said they were very busy. I emailed him once to check on it (because I was so excited) and he was very nice about it. I'm very pleased with their service and will definitely buy from them again.

Have fun and get a vid of the recital!

Thanks! I'm not guaranteeing a video, but we'll see...

teruterubouzu
02-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Well, I had my first ukulele class tonight and said I'd give an update. Don't think I'm going to bother going back. I posted about it here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?67867-Lessons), but to sum it up, it was a disappointment and I don't think I'll go back. The teacher said she LOVED ukulele, but kept on mentioning how it was a great way to move into guitar. She didn't even play a uke of her own -- it was one from the shop with the tag still hanging from it. Wish there was a better place to take lessons here in Minneapolis.

LutzSpearo
02-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Bummer! Maybe there's a better class available, or even someone who does private lessons? I'm considering signing up for the UU paid courses, that may be a great option as well.

teruterubouzu
02-06-2013, 02:35 AM
Thanks for listening to me kvetch! I couldn't find any other lessons locally, but I do have the UUU video membership. I will have to find a way to be more disciplined with those and then learn a bit more so I can join in at a group that meets at a local coffeehouse.

jimmysworking
02-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear about the lessons. Do you have a local group you can meet with? I bet that would be a great place to find the resources for lessons. Good luck with your search. In the meantime you have a beautiful uke to practice on.

mrlongtree
02-06-2013, 09:12 AM
Do you really need to take lessons? I've been playing for around 3 weeks only and spend a lot of time practicing using ebooks and youtube video lessons which give me a real kick. I've made a fair bit of progress in a short time. I also check in here regularly to see what the ukulele world is up to and this gives me inspiration too.

teruterubouzu
02-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the lessons. Do you have a local group you can meet with? I bet that would be a great place to find the resources for lessons. Good luck with your search. In the meantime you have a beautiful uke to practice on.

Thanks! I do think it's a pretty uke, if I do say so myself, especially for the price.

There's a group that gets together at a coffee shop near-ish me. I plan to check it out after I get a few more skills under my belt.

Do you really need to take lessons? I've been playing for around 3 weeks only and spend a lot of time practicing using ebooks and youtube video lessons which give me a real kick. I've made a fair bit of progress in a short time. I also check in here regularly to see what the ukulele world is up to and this gives me inspiration too.

I'm not always so disciplined with learning things on my own when they don't come completely naturally. I also thought the lessons would be FUN and help me get a good start without bad habits. That said, I think I'm going to try to continue on my own and see what happens. I have my UUU membership, a copy of Ukulele for Dummies, access to the internet and my uke. What could go wrong other than some horribly embarrassing youtube moments? ; )

pdxuke
02-06-2013, 05:56 PM
I have my UUU membership, a copy of Ukulele for Dummies, access to the internet and my uke. What could go wrong other than some horribly embarrassing youtube moments? ; )

AND... you have us. Lot's of help available here!

Hochapeafarm
02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
Well, I had my first ukulele class tonight and said I'd give an update. Don't think I'm going to bother going back. I posted about it here (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?67867-Lessons), but to sum it up, it was a disappointment and I don't think I'll go back. The teacher said she LOVED ukulele, but kept on mentioning how it was a great way to move into guitar. She didn't even play a uke of her own -- it was one from the shop with the tag still hanging from it. Wish there was a better place to take lessons here in Minneapolis.

Hi, teruterubouzu! Oh my goodness, I am so jealous you live in Minneapolis! My ukulele teacher is Danielle Anderson of Danielle Ate The Sandwich and she lives in Minneapolis. I live near Seattle, but take Skype lessons with Danielle and she is a WONDERFUL teacher (I used to be a teacher, so I am pretty picky!)! My Skype lessons with her are only $25 per hour (the very first one was $50 for the hour, but all lessons after the initial one are only $25 for an hour). I know she also teaches in person in Minneapolis. I feel that since I have started working with Danielle, my uke playing is really growing, and it's an amazing feeling to be able to play tunes that I love! I also enjoy working with Danielle so much because she really cares about you learning; she is also excellent at follow-up after lessons -- always wanting to answer whatever questions you have. :)

teruterubouzu
02-07-2013, 12:39 AM
AND... you have us. Lot's of help available here!

'Tis true. This forum is amazing. I have already learned so much.

Hi, teruterubouzu! Oh my goodness, I am so jealous you live in Minneapolis! My ukulele teacher is Danielle Anderson of Danielle Ate The Sandwich and she lives in Minneapolis. I live near Seattle, but take Skype lessons with Danielle and she is a WONDERFUL teacher (I used to be a teacher, so I am pretty picky!)! My Skype lessons with her are only $25 per hour (the very first one was $50 for the hour, but all lessons after the initial one are only $25 for an hour). I know she also teaches in person in Minneapolis. I feel that since I have started working with Danielle, my uke playing is really growing, and it's an amazing feeling to be able to play tunes that I love! I also enjoy working with Danielle so much because she really cares about you learning; she is also excellent at follow-up after lessons -- always wanting to answer whatever questions you have. :)

That's really amazing. Do you think she is taking on any new students? Would you be able to share any information either in the thread or via PM? Thank you for chiming in with this lead on lessons.

Kyle23
02-07-2013, 01:52 AM
I just ordered my second one yesterday. A soprano!

teruterubouzu
02-07-2013, 01:57 AM
I just ordered my second one yesterday. A soprano!

Awesome! What did you decide on? When do you expect it will arrive? I suppose you have a thread going on with that info.

I ordered another one too, but this one is for my boyfriend. It's this one Gretsch Solid Top Tenor Cutaway (http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-top-tenor-cutaway-fishman-active-pickup-gig-bag.html). I will get borrowing rights so I think I'm just as excited as he is. ;)

Kyle23
02-07-2013, 02:37 AM
I decided on a Koloa Solid Mahogany - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koloa-KU-600-Mahogany-Soprano-Uke-Ukulele-/350708339949?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Sh4OG1KUzUOrpJ0w%252BBYtAvvkSuY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I love the look, and have been looking for an affordable gloss finish uke. Doesn't bother me that it's used. I also seen some sound samples on youtube and I think they sound awesome for the price.

teruterubouzu
02-07-2013, 02:47 AM
I decided on a Koloa Solid Mahogany - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Koloa-KU-600-Mahogany-Soprano-Uke-Ukulele-/350708339949?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=Sh4OG1KUzUOrpJ0w%252BBYtAvvkSuY%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I love the look, and have been looking for an affordable gloss finish uke. Doesn't bother me that it's used. I also seen some sound samples on youtube and I think they sound awesome for the price.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it being used either. Congratulations on your new uke!

Hochapeafarm
02-07-2013, 06:43 AM
That's really amazing. Do you think she is taking on any new students? Would you be able to share any information either in the thread or via PM? Thank you for chiming in with this lead on lessons.[/QUOTE]

I think that the she taking new students, yes, you can reach her via her email at daniellesmagic@gmail.com. You could also reach her via YT on her channel, daniellesmagic, or via her web site, www.danielleatethesandwich.com. Again, I highly recommend working with her -- hope you get a chance to see for yourself how super she is -- you'll learn so much and have a ton of fun in the process! :)

ChaosToo
02-07-2013, 08:10 AM
Congrats on your new uke(s)!

Have to say I'm jealous of all you Statesiders, given that the prices you pay are roughly half what the same uke costs us in the UK!

I think I'll have to keep an eye out for when you guys sell up so I can pick up a nice secondhand uke at a decent price.......

teruterubouzu
02-07-2013, 05:09 PM
I think that the she taking new students, yes, you can reach her via her email at daniellesmagic@gmail.com. You could also reach her via YT on her channel, daniellesmagic, or via her web site, www.danielleatethesandwich.com. Again, I highly recommend working with her -- hope you get a chance to see for yourself how super she is -- you'll learn so much and have a ton of fun in the process! :)

Thank you so much! I'm really excited about this.

Congrats on your new uke(s)!

Have to say I'm jealous of all you Statesiders, given that the prices you pay are roughly half what the same uke costs us in the UK!

I think I'll have to keep an eye out for when you guys sell up so I can pick up a nice secondhand uke at a decent price.......

If it makes you feel better, I'm jealous of you folks in the UK for pretty much everything other than ukes.

teruterubouzu
02-09-2013, 02:25 PM
It seems silly to start a new discussion for this so I'll just continue in my original thread.

I seem to have caught a bit of UAS and temporarily abated it by buying a uke as a gift. My partner in crime has been playing my ukulele almost as much as I have, so I decided he needed one of his own. After much thought, many viewings of videos and listening to sound clips, I bought him a Gretsch Solid Top Tenor Cutaway from HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com/gretsch-solid-top-tenor-cutaway-fishman-active-pickup-gig-bag.html). Because he has a guitar background, I thought he'd have fun with low g tuning and the option to plug it into an amp. It arrived on Friday and is a gorgeous uke indeed. It sounds fantastic and is a lot of fun to play. Most importantly, he is having a great time with it.

I love this site because, without it, I never would have known what a tenor uke was, much less known to consider having it tuned differently. Thank you!